Bolt Action» Forums » General

Subject: Battlefield Terrain on a budget; Part 1. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob Williams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Whilst getting into all things miniature these days, I happened upon Bolt Action. This WW2 skirmish game certainly caught my attention after viewing a few play-throughs and unboxing of various sets. The Second World War is a period of history that has always interested me, so this game seems right up my street.
I do own Memoir '44, which is an enjoyable game that captures the essence of warfare. But Bolt Action really seems to get in amongst the thick of the action, with combat taking place over ditches, hedges and walls as opposing players re-create battles on the tabletop.
To get the best effect though, this game needs terrain and scenery to add to the player experience. So now I need to get creative.
I have the 2nd Edition rulebook, and two sets of dice. I have US Airborne and German Grenadiers on order. So until the troops are ready I have started to make some scenery.

This ruined house is made using air-drying clay. I am going to add roof parts and window details, as well as a section of floor for the upstairs window. Then i'll paint it and add a mural/large poster to the blank wall. I haven't used clay since I was at school, so this was a blast from the past. My daughters' projects seem to stay in one piece though, so there is hope.

I also started on some hedge sections, for the 'Bocage', using scouring pads cut into strips. They do look a bit flat and 'horse racing' like at the moment. But with some added foliage and flocking i think they might work.

The miniatures are from Heroscape, I used them as a reference as they are similar size to the Bolt Action ones. I know I am supposed to be finishing my Space Crusade mods, but as usual I have been distracted. On that note, I have been making the character cards for my Imperial Guard squad. So I haven't forgotten them.

Once I get the Bolt Action Miniatures i'll post up my pics of them assembled (painting will have to wait). Really looking forward to the first playthrough. I'll try and do a proper review too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.