Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jay murphy

aspen
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Intending to play Dune thusly;

XII. Alliances; 2 player max, 4 strongholds required.
XIII. Bribery; Restricted to the Emperor's special ability.
All the additional optional and advanced rules (minus XVIII. Longer Game).

Undecided if to allow Fremen to use troops at full strength without needing to spend spice. Would like to hear folks opinions if giving the Fremen a bye on this requirement would make them too strong. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jager fury wrote:

Why this? This would take a lot of the flavor out of the game for me. The bribery aspect adds a nice dimension of intrigue and backstabbing.

Quote:
Undecided if to allow Fremen to use troops at full strength without needing to spend spice. Would like to hear folks opinions if giving the Fremen a bye on this requirement would make them too strong. Thanks!

I would think it would make them too strong. Better to have bribery in play so that their allies have to channel some spice to them to make the alliance work as best it can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jay murphy

aspen
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The question isn't whether or not one should play the game with bribery or not.

Does the Fremen not having to pay for full strength troop, per the above proposed rules of play, make them too strong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mus Rattus
msg tools
I can't say if it would make them too strong, but I recall reading somewhere a version where Fremen Fedaykin do not require paying for full strength. That could be a compromise. If a complete bye is too strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jager fury wrote:
The question isn't whether or not one should play the game with bribery or not.

Does the Fremen not having to pay for full strength troop, per the above proposed rules of play, make them too strong?

I answered that quite directly. I would think it would make them too strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Hopwood
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many groups who have played the advanced rules (double spice blow, pay for combat) much more often than I do, have found a good compromise in allowing the Fremen free combat only in the desert territories.

This allows them to be a force to be reckoned with when hunting down spice blows, allowing them to not be quite as poor during the game, yet at the same handicap as everyone else when taking strongholds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manning
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other options would be to allow the Fremen to pay half-rate for battle support, or to reclaim the spice spent in battle if they win.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaude Thomas
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jager fury wrote:
Intending to play Dune thusly;

XII. Alliances; 2 player max, 4 strongholds required.
All the additional optional and advanced rules (minus XVIII. Longer Game).

Fremen are not too strong using WBC's Desert Power rule i.e. free support in "sand" territories. The knock on to be aware of is that it makes Atreides weaker because in the first few rounds they must vie with Harkonnen and Fremen for spice blows. A stronger Fremen means less spice for Atreides. Harkonnen is less impacted becase he is stronger early game and his cheap card selection will generally beat Fremen numbers.

Hence I believe that Desert Power is better extended to simply allow Fremen to always dial for free. That way, they can put pressure on the winningest factions in strongholds, like the Bene-Gesserit! Maybe WBC play it that way now? tempus42 would know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Johnson
United States
Crystal Lake
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vonklaude wrote:
Hence I believe that Desert Power is better extended to simply allow Fremen to always dial for free. That way, they can put pressure on the winningest factions in strongholds, like the Bene-Gesserit! Maybe WBC play it that way now? tempus42 would know.

We started playing this way last year, and it seemed to work well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.