Evan Kline
United States
Winston-Salem
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey All,

I humbly request the collective knowledge of BGG for a game design I'm working on. It's a 3.5X non-traditional fantasy setting, hex-tile light wargame. I have a good (no dice, non-deterministic) attack resolution system I'm happy with, a good simultaneous movement mechanic that doesn't involve writing anything down or handfuls of tokens/separate boards, and an action drafting system that isn't work placement (closer to Citadels).

I've got a core I'm pretty happy with- playtests are functional- now I'm looking for some inspiration for the next step.

The two things I'm looking for are:
games that use non-traditional resources (NOT wheat, clay, stone, metal, etc.)
games that use non-traditional actions (NOT attack, move, collect, build, recruit, research, etc.)

The resource thing I haven't looked into much- perhaps a better term that "non-traditional" is asymmetric resources- as a hypothetical example "honor" "gold" "deeds" and "ingenuity" each you get different ways and do different things.

As an example of some unique actions or "phases"
Spymaster- Clockwork wars
Capture/imprison- multiple games I've seen, but most recently Cry Havoc/Rising sun

Part of what may help is for me to tighten the theme up a bit- right now it's just a pretty vague "feeling" of dudes on a map- but theme can inform mechanics... But any example or thoughts are appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnathan Ness
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
7 Wonders had some unique resources, though they really turned into Victory Points at the end. Effectively, unless you have a different mechanic in mind, it doesn't matter much what you call them save for fitting the theme of your game. I mean, if you spend three nuclear cores to build a fusion reactor, it's not different than three cards that each say $1B.
As for unique actions, those totally have to depend on your game and what exactly you're trying to accomplish. To use a well-known game, Risk could have added cards that allowed you to land your armies in any one country and then fight the current forces or bombard a country and roll to see whether you take 0, 1, or 2 armies out from it (rather than risk your armies). One action I've put into one of my games is "stonewalling," meaning that the player forfeits his or her movement that turn, but is not subject to any attacks. But it really all depends on how your game works. Think of actions that could, if used at just the right time, significantly affect the outcome of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.