Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M. Kidder
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My game group got together this past Sunday and since we didn't have a full group to proceed with either of the campaign games we are working through (IA: Twin Shadows and Pathfinder ACG: Skull & Shackles, for what it's worth), the three of us decided to break out X-Wing. We decided that myself and another guy would each play 100 point Empire squadrons and the remaining player would play a 200 point Scum and Villainy fleet.

Here is a very abbreviated timeline:
6:30pm - Build
7:30pm - Start Round 1
11:30pm - Called draw due to time

Before I go further, let me share some additional details. The two of us who were playing Empire had never played X-Wing before. I own some sets/ships from various clearance sales but had never had a chance to play. The Scum and Villainy player had a good bit of experience and so was also responsible for all rules explanation and enforcement. We decided to play deathmatch style "last faction standing wins" and also that the two of us playing Empire would not strategize secretly. Thematically, we played as if all inter squadron communications were being intercepted by the dirty smuggler scum. The table we were playing on was more 3.5' by 5' than normal 4'x4' and we did use lots of asteroids/space junk.

After poring over stacks of cards for nearly an hour, we came up with some fun looking groups. The Scum and Villiany player assured us that while setup takes a while, in his experience, battles were always pretty speedy. No one was more surprised by the outcome than him...

Scum and Villany Fleet:
2 Z-95 (Black Sun Soldiers - pilot skill 3) - Shield 2, Hull 2
1 Y-wing (Hired Gun - pilot skill 4) - Shield 3, Hull 5
1 HWK-290 (Palob Godalhi - pilot skill 5) - Shield 1, Hull 4
1 Y-Wing (Drea Renthal - pilot skill 5) - Shield 3, Hull 5
1 Firespray-31 (Mandalorian Mercenary - pilot skill 5) - Shield 6, Hull 4
1 Jumpmaster 5000 (Tel Trevura - pilot skill 7) - Shield 4, Hull 5

Equipment: Turrets on Jumpmaster, Y-Wings, HWK-290. Firespray had Bombs. Lots of various missiles spread around.
Starting Health (All Shields + Hull): 48

Imperial Squadron 1:
TIE advanced (Darth Vader - pilot skill 9) - Shield 2, Hull 3
TIE F/O ("Omega Ace" - pilot skill 7) - Shield 1, Hull 3
TIE Bomber (Captain Jonus - pilot skill 6) - Shield 0, Hull 6

Equipment: Lots of missiles and bombs on the Bomber, Vader had Expert Handling and missiles of some flavor
Starting Health (All Shields + Hull): 15

Imperial Squadron 2:
TIE Fighter (Black Squadron Pilot - pilot skill 4) - Shield 0, Hull 3
TIE Interceptor (Saber Squadron Pilot - pilot skill 4) - Shield 0, Hull 3
TIE Fighter ("Night Beast" - pilot skill 5) - Shield 0, Hull 3
TIE Defender (Rexler Brath - pilot skill 8) - Shield 3, Hull 3

Equipment: Ion Cannons, Ion Missiles and Outmaneuver on the Defender, Wingman on the Black Squadron Pilot
Starting Health (All Shields + Hull): 15

Scum and Villainy lined up on the far side of the table with Imperial Squadron 1 lining up on the left near side, with Imperial Squadron 2 (me) lining up on the right near side.

Round 1 was just flying straight ahead to get to the middle, excepting one TIE Fighter that had to bank to avoid some asteroids.

In Round 2 nearly every S&V ship that had missles or rockets performed a target lock and fired. The TIEs that could took Evade actions and attempted to fire back. With the exception of one hit on the Omega Ace, nearly all the S&V missiles did no damage and no Imperial shots landed either. This was an omen for things to come.

By Round 3 the battle had largely broken into two distinct fronts - Imperial Squadron 1 vs. a Z-95, the Hired Gun Y-Wing, the HWK and the Firespray. Imperial Squadron 2 vs. the other Z-95, the Drea Renthal Y-Wing and the Jumpmaster. The TIE Bomber dropped a proximity mine and reduced the Z-95 to a single Hull Point. Imperial Squadron 2 got in a couple of hits on the other Z-95 and the Jumpmaster, but nothing too drastic. The Black Squardron Pilot from Squadron 2 and the Omega Ace from Squadron 1 each took a shot, but most attacks on either side were either evaded or missed outright.

Round 4 was almost a total draw as everyone misjudged their maneuvers and only the Jumpmaster's turret was able to get in another shot, completely obliterating the TIE Defender's shields.

Round 5 saw the first casualty as my TIEs in Imp Squadron 2 managed to gang up on the Z-95 and take it out. On the other side of the table, shots were exchanged to almost no effect other than the Omega Ace taking another hit.

In Round 6 I got completely juked and my Defender had nothing in it's sights, but was able to get a Target Lock on the Jumpmaster for the next round. The TIE Bomber was nearly compeltely pointed the wrong way on the other side of the table and took 2 damage. All other attacks continued to miss or be evaded.

The first decisive attack came in Round 7 when I was able to get the Ion Missles to land on the Jumpmaster and get my TIE Fighters positioned to pound on it. However, I misjudged the distance with my Interceptor and the K-Turn didn't quite happen although I did get stressed. Luckily Wingman was able to take that off so the Interceptor could turn around in Round 8. At this point, the Drea Y-Wing had read the writing on the wall and broke off to help gang up on Imperial Squadron 1 which was still engaged in the worst exchange of dice rolling I've ever seen.

It took Rounds 8 and 9 for Imperial Squadron 2 to kill the drifting Jumpmaster (stupid Tel's regen power), while Imperial Squadron 1 got nickel and dimed in the now 5 on 3 battle. Imperial Squadron 1 got in a few hits on Drea but nothing much else of any note.

At this point we'd been flying around for 4 hours, it was 11:30pm and people had to work the next day so we called it a draw. We'd killed two S&V ships and nearly taken out a third but at the rate we were damaging each other, S&V would have eventually worn us down as they still had a significant advantage in overall health and the Firespray was positioning to drop its bombs.

As I mentioned, the S&V player was shocked at how long this fight was. I have no context other than a few YouTube videos I've watched but it does seem like we were taking way longer than normal. I guess a mixture of fleet size plus inexperience on the Imperial side combined with overcautious Imperial play (Evade over Focus or Lock) and just terrible terrible attack dice rolling. It probably didn't help that we didn't build squadrons for efficiency as we didn't know the game well enough and just picked ships that looked interesting within the point limit.

No matter how many attack dice were rolled it was extremely rare to see more than one hit and I don't think a single critical hit landed all night. S&V had some attacks that prevented defense dice, but would then only roll one hit and the TIE would have an Evade token. On the other hand our defense rolling was great, which only compounded the issue.

Anyway I had a great time and can't wait to play again. I'm just hoping it goes a bit quicker next time...

Here's an after action report:

Scum and Villany Fleet:
1 Z-95 (Black Sun Soldier - pilot skill 3) - Shield 0, Hull 1
1 Y-wing (Hired Gun - pilot skill 4) - Shield 3, Hull 5
1 HWK-290 (Palob Godalhi - pilot skill 5) - Shield 1, Hull 4
1 Y-Wing (Drea Renthal - pilot skill 5) - Shield 1, Hull 5
1 Firespray-31 (Mandalorian Mercenary - pilot skill 5) - Shield 6, Hull 4

Ending Health (All Remaining Shields + Hull): 30
Casualties: 1 Z-95, 1 Jumpmaster 5000

Imperial Squadron 1:
TIE advanced (Darth Vader - pilot skill 9) - Shield 0, Hull 2
TIE F/O ("Omega Ace" - pilot skill 7) - Shield 0, Hull 1
TIE Bomber (Captain Jonus - pilot skill 6) - Shield 0, Hull 4

Ending Health (All Remaining Shields + Hull): 7
Casualties: none

Imperial Squadron 2:
TIE Fighter (Black Squadron Pilot - pilot skill 4) - Shield 0, Hull 1
TIE Interceptor (Saber Squadron Pilot - pilot skill 4) - Shield 0, Hull 3
TIE Fighter ("Night Beast" - pilot skill 5) - Shield 0, Hull 3
TIE Defender (Rexler Brath - pilot skill 8) - Shield 0, Hull 3

Ending Health (All Remaining Shields + Hull): 10
Casualties: none

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Smith
Canada
Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well if both sides are rolling terrible on the attack dice, the game will not be very decisive. You know that the attacker can spend a focus token to turn all focus dice results into hits?

Warm regards, Rick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“So most men teach, and few men learn.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
badge
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you also had lots of shields in play, which tends to slow things down. And as a first-time player, I'm sure you all spent lots of time discussing rules and strategies. Also, when you play with tons of ships like that, it really bogs the game down. It's meant for smaller "dogfights" rather than all out battles, like Armada. Glad you had a good time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cowlishaw
msg tools
Quote:
S&V had some attacks that prevented defense dice, but would then only roll one hit and the TIE would have an Evade token.

Just to note - if that is "reroll defence dice" ones (like Zuckuss) then fair enough, but if it's "cannot be cancelled with defence dice" - like autoblaster, then an evade token does nothing either: an evade token specifically adds an evade die showing an "evade" face...so doesn't work either.

Ultimately, welcome to the game.
Yes, you will have taken longer - they're massive games, using pilots with interesting abilities, and it's your first game. That was somewhat ambitious...

If you want to get used to playing the game, I'd seriously recommend playing a few 50-100 point games, with just generic pilots and few or no upgrades for a few times. Firstly, it'll get you used to the templates, dice and order-of-events, which'll speed up play immensely.

Secondly, it'll help get your eye in for eyeballing movement:
Quote:
I got completely juked and my Defender had nothing in it's sights

Quote:
The TIE Bomber was nearly compeltely pointed the wrong way

Quote:
almost a total draw as everyone misjudged their maneuvers

Quote:
I misjudged the distance with my Interceptor

As to learning when to evade, focus, target lock, etc....that'll come naturally. The easy bit of advice:

Evade is the best defensive action. But, if that ship doesn't get shot at, the Evade token does nothing.

Focus isn't quite as good (although it's close when rolling 3 green dice which most imperial ships get and statistically the same when rolling 4 - say range 3 or obstructed shots), but not every ship in your squad is getting shot at. And the ones that don't get shot at can spend their focus token on attacking back.

Evade is best used when either you don't have a shot (or don't expect to have a shot after your opponent's moved, or have such a bad shot you might as well not bother) or when you actively want to discourage someone from shooting that ship in particular - so, for example, once one TIE fighter in a group is damaged, it might evade...in the hopes your opponent might shoot someone else and spread out the damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.