Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
Adam Stark mentioned that he liked the demon spawning system in Planet Apocalypse so I thought I would describe it.

The game has Despair dice, which have three different symbols on them.

They'll look a lot like this

Three sides have the single-pronged image which represents the First Circle, two have the double-pronged image of the Second Circle, and one has the triple-prong of the Third Circle.

The game starts with 4 Despair Dice, and keeps going up as the game progresses. Usually the crisis comes around 10-12 dice, but I've seen it get as high as 14 (they lost).

The demons are displayed as "invasion tokens" until they are revealed by entering a hero's or trooper's chamber or vice-versa. At that point, you roll the current number of Despair dice, and start matching pairs.

Each pair of First Circle results spawns a First Circle demon (the Gryllus).

Each pair of Second Circle results spawns a Second Circle demon (the Fiend).

Each pair of Third Circle results spawns a Third Circle demon (the Cacodemon).

In addition each paired set of results also spawns a Limbo minion (technically a damned soul, not a demon). Thus, each demon appears with its own little Limbo buddy (aka Larvae).

Unpaired results are discarded. Thus, with four dice, the weakest result you could get is two unmatched results, and a paired First Circle, which would spawn 1 First Circle demon and 1 Limbo minion.

There is a Despair track which constantly advances around in a circle. When it returns to or passes its start, this adds 1 to the number of Despair dice. There is also a more slowly-advancing Desecration track. When the Desecration track returns to its start, a Fourth Circle demon spawns in the Demon Lord's chamber. So they are more rare, and appear singly.

The above image is the Hortator, one of the 4th Circle demons. All of them act as minibosses, and are real challenges. All have some special power which often affects the entire map. The Hortator for example, by pounding his drums increases the enthusiasm and energy of all demons on the map.

The Hellhound, on the other hand, doesn't affect other demons at all. Instead it just shoots fireballs at the heroes from wherever it is - there is no hiding from the Hellhound.

The Demon Lord itself never spawns. At the game start, you pick a Demon Lord and place it - each Demon Lord has his own challenges, and will affect which Gifts & rewards you seek. Actually, one of the difficulty modifiers in the game is when the players choose to go "stud", and not know which Demon Lord they face until someone actually enters the chamber and sees it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a really interesting mechanic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
extremly cool!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
as a useful side effect (I swear this was serendipitous), I can use the Cthulhu Wars battle dice for my Despair dice, because they have the same proportion of results: 3/2/1
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like really cool mechanics!
I particularly like artwork of the first circle monster. Very Hieronymus Bosch!
Am I right in assuming that there are nine circles in the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no only 3 that can spawn a a fourth one that are the demon bosses.

this is not Dante's Inferno!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Andersson
Sweden
BANDHAGEN
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loig wrote:
no only 3 that can spawn a a fourth one that are the demon bosses.

this is not Dante's Inferno!

Ah, I see. I thought the game was inspired by the book.
But I'm happy that there are no mosters above circle 4, they seem challenging enough!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Slabbert
New Zealand
flag msg tools
This is amazing.

Will there be a wider range of 1-3rd circle demons available?

Either as additional content or unlocked goals?

Regards
David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We have just one type of the Limbo, First, Second, and Third circle demons - they represent the faceless hordes of hell.

The Fourth Circle act like minibosses and have a lot of personality. our players have very strong opinions about the various Fourth Circles.

The Demon Lords are, in a sense, Fifth or maybe Sixth circle demons. They roll 6 dice (all the demons roll a number of dice equal to their circle, except Limbo, who have to have at least 1 die, right?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.