Mars Attacks: The Miniatures Game» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Mars attacks! Bubblegum stick not included. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Kaiser
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mars Attacks, to me anyway, brings me back to my childhood years in the early 70's. Those cool little packs of gruesomely illustrated cards, that stale stick of tasteless gum, and that small book of Amazing stories.

Sadly, I missed out on the Kickstarter for this tactical, modular, masterpiece. So, I'm doing things the hard way...buying what I can, when I can, from where I can. I absolutely love the modular aspect of this game, however, it seems Mantic has sort of 'moved on' from this title. Getting the extra figs, mats, etc. hits the wallet hard, and forget the extras like the crashed saucer, or giant robot. I'll have to Ebay my butt off, with at least two and a half Benjamins to dole out.

Also, sadly, little is given in the way of character development. Gamewise, or storywise. Roughly a paragraph per hero, that keeps you wanting more. Maybe the comics are the ticket to the answers I seek, or maybe it's pure imagination, and the use thereof (my favorite). Either way, I do love painting these minis, popping popcorn and throwing in a good ole' sci-fi flick like "Forbidden Planet", and playing this game with my kids. So I do hope Mantic doesn't let this title die a slow death, maybe another accessory pack containing more abominations created by the martians?, a pack of skeletonized victims?, more cards with events?, rural themed maps with scenarios based on late night, moonlit landings?, more ships? (I use the saucer from the movie based toy, as a mothership), etc.? What I would really like is a campaign based book with more in-depth details on the heros and martians alike, with surviving units gaining XP for future conflicts, yes, my compendium is on the way, I hope it solves some of these dilemmas.

Anyway, love this genre, as long as it's kept in gory 50's sci-fi fashion, sorry Tim Burton.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.