Hide
13 Posts

Myth» Forums » General

Subject: Does enemy variety become and issue for anyone? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andre Smothers
msg tools
I see that with the core game and both expansions, you basically are getting 4 "races" of enemies to fight against. Anyone find this getting stale for them? The elementals, rats, undead, cyclops and more are all addons. On top of that they are extremely hard to get!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the core game would get stale relatively fast. 4 races isn't bad, especially since you'd have mini bosses/bosses and captains to go up against. It's better if you can get to 6 or 7 races though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a backer from the first time around with multiple options to choose from, I haven't noticed the stale factor. That being said, these kinds of games always benefit from more monsters in a greater way than they do from more player characters. The same holds true for things like Zombicide, in my opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Smothers
msg tools
Yea we have Black Plague and the game quickly got much more interesting when we added the different abominations and the archers and crows etc. I would not have a problem buying xpacs if they werent so damn hard to find! Looking at them the elementals look like they would be fun to go against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron K
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would think that they will be easier to find when there things fulfill in the fall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathue Faulkner
United States
Austin
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Check the variants section. There are a lot of great cards that you can print using the base game minis
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Scarborough
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it also depends on how often you play, and how often you mix up different combos of enemy types.

I get a game in far less often than I'd like (every couple of months we play three acts or so). Even then, we tend to stick to a few different enemy types (typically undead and insect, sometimes rats), with the occasional variant (elemental, oki) just to see how it changes things.

We've not tired of the experience yet. But I can see that playing the same enemies every time you sit down (once a week, maybe? where do you people find the time?!) could be a bore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I played Grubbers and Crawlers quite a lot without getting bored. Most of the time I was concentrating on playing the Heroes and learning how to make the most out of them. Everyone has different tastes though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Krauss
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
but I'm not the only one
badge
My hands are small, I know, but they're not yours, they are my own
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played the game quite a bit since it came out, and I've used most of the monster-types and mini-bosses that have been released so far (although some of them, only in Slaughterfield mode).

Although it is nice to have a lot of different types of monsters to choose from, IMHO, the 2 monster-types and the Yardu mini-boss included with the base game, plus adding the Orcneas boss, and some skeleton minions and captains and maybe the boss (Shamblers, Soulless, and Bones -- which work well with the Yardu mini-boss from the base game), plus the 2 boxed expansions (which each include a complete monster-type plus a mini-boss) should be enough to keep a player busy for a long time! You can play modules, play in adventure mode by using the quest and trap cards, or create your own quests and stories.

Other things you may want to look for (if they are available and inexpensive) to add more to your game:
• Buying someone's complete Myth Kickstarter pledge (which will have a bunch of extra monsters, plus some mini-bosses and agents, different Realm tiles, and at least one extra hero -- and maybe other stuff if they added it)
• The alt-gender hero figures (cosmetic only, no game-play changes)
• Some extra minions and captains for the base game monster-types (Crawlers/Stalkers and Grubbers/Muckers) so you can play with larger hordes of monsters (using 2 lairs, if you want to).

The skeleton monster-type should be available again soon (probably this year). You can check the company store occasionally (and sign up for the website newsletter).

And, if/when there is another Kickstarter for new Myth expansions, it may be possible then, to add-on some stuff you missed, if it hasn't appeared in the company store.

BUT, honestly, just getting the skeleton stuff and the Orcneas boss, plus the 2 Journeyman expansions (Blackwall Warrens and Shores of Kanis) will give you a pretty good selection to play with for a long while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristabelle Du Bast
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, as the 2nd Edition monster cards can be downloaded for free from the publishers it is very easy to then proxy monsters such as undead and expand your available enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Derksen
Canada
Toronto
ON
flag msg tools
designer
armoredgear7.net
badge
Heroes of the Aturi Cluster dockingbay416.com/campaign
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a fair bit of Myth. I've backed both Kickstarters, so I have all 8 races of enemies currently available.

I've never played against the Scyline or Elementals, and I haven't played against the Reptiles from Journeyman yet. I also haven't played against some of the other bosses, or many of the agents yet. Speaking only of the monsters that have seen table time, I have not found any of it stale.

There is a TON of content, even in just the base game, and Judy's suggestion to add the Orc boss (Orcneas) and skeletons adds a ton of depth right there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Me too, I have all the races, at least pre-journeyman and I have the JM boxes. I have played most against the insects and orcs. I have had some others on the table but don't crave variety.

Partly it's because when I teach it, I like to start with the basics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Loeffler
Germany
Nürnberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
For me, the basic game structure is, what has the most potential to get "boring". The routine of defeating lairs then monsters gets stale for me rather quickly and it doesn't matter that much, which monsters I fight.

That's why I usually try to avoid "business as usual" and add different challenges / quests / tasks / events / mechanics to each tile.

I also try to follow a certain game flow / speed with each session and in the spirit of "telling a story" that usually means a build-up in difficulty and tile-clearing-time to a final battle. In that spirit, I regard monster types more as a flavor for the plot I want to tell.

So, no. Even after years of playing this game, I don't find it boring to fight against Crawlers and Stalkers. The only exceptions to this are mini-bosses. I just can't have enough of them. They have a perfect playtime to suspense ratio.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.