Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Alscher
Germany
Plankstadt
Badenwürtemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if i understand the stacking rules as in 2.4.

Ist it correct, that a Round Space may contain a Settlement Tribe which is an Ally + 1 finished Band + any number of War Columns without violating stacking?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules clearly state that stacking limits do not apply to allies and war columns, so what exactly are you unsure about?
Of course this situation will be temporary since the wars will be resolved shortly after (3.1) resulting either into the war columns' destruction (Ally and ranchera coexist), or into the rancheria's destruction followed by removal of the Ally marker (Tribe and War columns coexist).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First thing: the hypothetical scenario should says "a Tribe", not "a Settlement".

Then, Rule 2.4 says, among other things (emphasis is mine):

Quote:
Stacking limits do not apply to: Resource, Ravaged, Peace, Ally, Colonial Enemy Space, face-down Success Check (“?”) counters, nor to War Columns.

I am not Joel, but I think the answer to OP's question is no, that Finished Band would be removed during cleanup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Alscher
Germany
Plankstadt
Badenwürtemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, my fault.
I mean a Tribe which is an Ally, not a Settlement which is an Ally of course.
Quote:
I am not Joel, but I think the answer to OP's question is no, that Finished Band would be removed during cleanup.

Because it can't stack with the Tribe counter, regardless of Tribes status as an Ally?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhopal wrote:
Sorry, my fault.
I mean a Tribe which is an Ally, not a Settlement which is an Ally of course.

Np; I was just "fixing" that error for argument's sake

Bhopal wrote:
Because it can't stack with the Tribe counter, regardless of Tribes status as an Ally?

Yes, that's my interpretation of Rule 2.4.

As an exercise, I tried thinking how the hypothetical scenario could ever happen, but was not able to find a convincing way because:

1. an Ally Instruction counter cannot be placed in the same space as a War Column;
2. if the Ally Instruction counter were already on the Tribe and a War Column moved in the same space, it would start a Battle before you had a chance to move a Band there and at the end either the Tribe would not be an Ally anymore or the War Column would be no more and you'd have a wonderful Battle Ends result.

Of course there could be a combination of cards' effects which I don't remember right now (the beauty of large decks: replayability )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Alscher
Germany
Plankstadt
Badenwürtemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thank you.
I was under the false impression that Ally Tribes and Bands can coexist on the same space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
Bhopal wrote:
Ok, thank you.
I was under the false impression that Ally Tribes and Bands can coexist on the same space.

Sorry, they cannot coexist during the Operation Cleanup Phase.

-Joel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Didier Renard
France
Saint-Louis
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been misled too. So Joel, why do the rules say that stacking limits do not apply to Ally in 2.4?

EDIT: well further thinking about it, I guess they say that some markers like Ally can occupy a space beyond the basic stacking limit
But it does not change the basic rule that either a rancheria or group or tribe or settlement can occupy that space. I clearly over-interpreted the wording that says "stacking limits do not apply to"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably to clarify, before anyone asked about it , that a Tribe and an Ally Instruction counter in the same place are not violating any rule (another example: a Band which moves right into a lone War Column to trigger a Battle in the following turn and prevent it from moving closer to a precious Rancheria is not violating the stacking limits and thus will not be removed during cleanup).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Toppen
United States
Gallup
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Preorder Navajo Wars by GMT Games
mbmbmbmbmb
evacbs wrote:
Probably to clarify, before anyone asked about it , that a Tribe and an Ally Instruction counter in the same place are not violating any rule (another example: a Band which moves right into a lone War Column to trigger a Battle in the following turn and prevent it from moving closer to a precious Rancheria is not violating the stacking limits and thus will not be removed during cleanup).

Exactly. The use of the word "Ally" was meant to refer to the fact that the INSTRUCTION Counter can coexist with the TRIBE Counter.

-Joel
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.