15 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Stun Traps & Movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I couldn't find anything on this... As far as I can tell, moving through a trap doesn't stop your movement, it just does damage and/or status effects.

So, if you (or a monster) move through a STUN trap but lets say you are moving 4 spaces and the trap is in space 2, do you finish your move regardless of receiving the stun? I don't see anything anywhere that says you would stop, but it feels like maybe you should? Stun just says that you cannot play abilities on cards until the stun is removed. Technically, the ability (move 4) has already been played BEFORE the stun was received, so I would assume the ability finishes but no OTHER ability can be activated until the stun is removed.

Is this correct? It seems to be based on the rules, but I'm just double-checking because it feels like a stun trap should maybe make you stop any action you are in the middle of performing also...

This is important because this determines whether or not I get to pick up a treasure chest before failing a scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
FAQ (although not in the official FAQ, oddly).

Yes, a stun trap will stop your movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I didn't see it in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arthur Janicek
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So it would appear that stun, like pierce has an exception to the rule that says negative effect are applied at the end of the turn.

Edit: Brain fart. Disregard this moron post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
soakman wrote:
Sorry I didn't see it in the FAQ.
\

I heard it's not in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see it in the FAQ either... Where did the info come from? Everything in the FAQ appears to indicate that you cannot play cards or take actions after being stunned, but I see nowhere that it says about stopping movement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daemon6 wrote:
So it would appear that stun, like pierce has an exception to the rule that says negative effect are applied at the end of the turn.

That is incorrect, there is no rule that effects are applied at the end of the turn. Effects from several negative conditions have an immediate effect. That applies to Stun, Disarm and others that are applied as part of a trap. The rest of the conditions have timings specifically called out by the rules of those conditions.

The Pierce exception is associated with an additional effect of an attack. Normally those effects occur after the attack damage is resolved, but pierce reduces shield immediately, as part of the attack total calculation.

Other conditions applied from attacks take place after the attack but not before the end of the turn. So for example, if an attack causes poison and then a second attack occurs as part of the same action on the same target, the second attack gains +1 from the poison (though the first does not).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Magni
Italy
Bergamo
flag msg tools
I didn't find it in faqs either, anyway my own opinion is that the stun trap affects you immediatly once you step on it and in the same way you immediatly receive for example damages from traps you become stunned, from that point you should follow the stun condition rules so yeah the movement would stop

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And here is the post where Isaac clarified the immediate effect of Stun (it stops your movement)

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25092596#25092596

It should be in the FAQ but it is not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dmihawk wrote:
I didn't find it in faqs either, anyway my own opinion is that the stun trap affects you immediatly once you step on it and in the same way you immediatly receive for example damages from traps you become stunned, from that point you should follow the stun condition rules so yeah the movement would stop

But stun doesn't stop movement, it stop you from playing move actions. By the time you are stunned, you are already midway through your move action. I can see both sides of it (thematically it makes more sense to stop), but I can't find anything in the rules to indicate that stun would interrupt an action you are already performing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cassio Santos Pereira
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Isaac answered to this question in the post @aflorin linked previously here.

The Stun trap is indeed a nasty one! It immediately interrupts not only your movement but your action, making you loose the rest of the current turn and the stun effect is not removed until the end of your next turn, meaning that you will have to Full Rest or discard two cards in the next round (in case you can't take a full rest).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Childres
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Stun, from the rule book, prevents you from performing any abilities. There's no reason to think this wouldn't apply to the ability you are currently performing when you are stunned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
soak man
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all! Appreciate the answers and insight. Guess that chest will have to wait for another day. <3

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eirik Johnsbråten
Norway
Notodden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do stun traps do damage as well?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Florin
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tjohei wrote:
Do stun traps do damage as well?

Only if the scenario says so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.