Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Moak
United States
Eads
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just recently received Viticulture Essential Edition and though I have not done a thorough inventory I was expecting the boards to be double sided. In Rodney Smith's How to Play video he mentioned that the boards were all two-sided. I've looked through the forums and found a reference to English on one side and German on the other in some versions. The aforementioned how to play video stated that there was a side with helpful text and graphics and a "cleaner" version on the other. The copy I received today has only the side with the helpful text and graphics.

I'm not sure I would ever play on both sides, so, this may just be much ado about nothing, but I am puzzled if it is an error or did I just not find the reference to the boards no longer being two sided. Even the rules and the back of the box state that the boards are all two sided. If I missed something please forgive my little OCD moment and lack of forum searching fu. ninja

Can't wait to get this on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The original Viticulture had one side in English and another side without any labels - it was purely board art. The second side was much cleaner, but only to be used for players who had played several times and knew each space thoroughly.

IIRC, the Essential Edition was a joint publication with Uwe Rosenburg (of Agricola fame), who suggested that the second side be German to reach the large German Euro gamer market as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Stegmaier
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry for the confusion, Michael! This particular print run wasn't in conjunction with anyone else, and I'm not aware of anyone who actually used the art-only side of the vineyard mats, so we just printed one blank side for this print run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moak
United States
Eads
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! It's not a problem at all, I guess that while I was researching the game I just had a preconceived idea of what to expect and I never saw anything that stated otherwise. Thanks again for the quick reply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M M

Chapel Hill
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got a copy of viticulture essential edition and my copy came with one side in English and one in German. This was a copy from this week's Amazon sale. I was expecting one art side and one art with text side, but I can see how I probably would've never actually ended up using the art-only side. Not that I think the German side will get much use either...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Moak
United States
Eads
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got mine from Amazon too. I guess Forrest Gump's momma would say, "Amazon is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get." shake I hear stories all the time of people ordering a game and getting a copy in another language, usually German, or not getting the edition of the book they were expecting. I ordered a card game a month or so ago, and didn't realize until I received it that it shipped from Germany. I was wondering what took it so long.

On topic, I went through everything yesterday and it looks like I have everything I'm supposed to have, so now i'm ready to actually play the game. Hoping to get it on the table tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.