Ernie Blofeld
United States
Ocean View
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrific review, especially because I agree with it

This game has been a very pleasant surprise for me. I was a little reluctant to buy it as I'm wary of grand tactical scale games with orders systems and hexes rather than areas. But I've had enough luck with Hexisim games (and French wargames in general) that I decided to take a chance.

The orders system has been the highlight of the game for me. It is logical and not cumbersome to execute. Almost every other game I've played with an orders system has burdensome restrictions that don't always make sense. In this game I feel the designer hit a sweet spot between playability and giving a reasonable picture of what a general is facing in reality. At first you have the ability to maneuver, but as casualties are taken and things break down it comes down to 'keep it simple stupid'.

I also appreciate that, unlike the Great Battles of History series, the battlefield and units aren't completely covered by marker counters by the middle of turn 3...

I'm glad I took a chance on this one, it's quite original and fun to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
laurent Closier
France
SAINT-BRIEUC
flag msg tools
mbmb
Mister Best,

Thanks a lot for this terrific review ! You deserve to be French .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
Germany
Berlin
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
I am not a cyborg!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great read. And yes, great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
The bits about the balance between playability and historicity, and the potential for the series to expand were spot on.

This really is a step up from K1561 in every regard, particularly the effort the lads have put into making the game easier to understand. Not that combat resolution is going any faster for me, mind, but I definitely feel like it's more a problem my end this time.

EDIT:
Nice call on the lack of historical/designer notes this time around. I kind of jumped straight into a scenario and relied on the rulebook if/when it was needed, and so I didn't notice their absence. But you will be posting some of your musings, right, Francois?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bertrand d
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheers Stephen , that is the Best read I had from a Godon since the Brexit was voted.

A real critical view of the game and the system, including its defaults. Great Job 66

François is definitively an innovative designer, a great artist and a lover of Japanese culture, and not only the ninja one.
Laurent Closier's support as developper was a 100% winner.
Michel Montfront's adaptation of this scene of Yamazaki battle portrayed by Kuniyoshi provides the identity to the game.
The constant support from Christophe, the Hexasim editor, since 2009, is also amazing.

As far as the Japanese language is concerned, hope you did not find any errors
Besty wrote:
... and plenty of Japanese script. (You have to be careful with Kanji - more than a few of my compatriots have ‘Drunken Idiot’ tattooed on their hides rather than whatever they thought they were getting)
I almost opened my belly when we saw the couple of romanization errors that are on the final counters (find out which ones). The kanji should be good, but I deeply apologize to Japanese players for any mistake.

Another apology for the historical notes, which I am in charge of. We ended up with a far too large historical background. It jeopardized the release of the game timing. So it was decided to provide it as a separate booklet, hopefully in not too distant a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois Vander Meulen
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great reading! Thank you.

I am grateful you took time to analyse the game, think about it and write this Best excellent review.

I need to read it once more!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
England
Suth Saxe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
laurent closier wrote:
You deserve to be French .

Cruel words monsieur!

Stephen, this is a great review of a game that has been near the top of my maybe pile. If only Hexasim hadn't gone on holiday!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
Lugbar wrote:
Another apology for the historical notes, which I am in charge of. We ended up with a far too large historical background. It jeopardized the release of the game timing. So it was decided to provide it as a separate booklet, hopefully in not too distant a time.
You probably made the right decision there. Best to get the game in people's hands. Look forward to reading it, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Millar
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrific review, just got this game in the mail and started reading the rules. I immediately searched for the historical notes but will have to wait till they are out later. I cannot wait to get this to table has anyone tried it solo ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Deniaud
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
I tried and solo game remains good because activation sequence is chaotic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris S
England
Suth Saxe
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grego8 wrote:
Activation by shitpull systems is probably the reason.

A fantastic mis-spelling! Reach into the receptacle and see what you pull out!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
Germany
flag msg tools
Move along, move along...
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant review, thank you! And it sealed the deal for me. Order placed with Hexasim.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfy Burger
Mali
Bamako
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A delightful review! And as I have no wish to be called a Nazi, you must be right, and I will buy this game right away!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great review !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Stanton
United States
Paoli
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, great review.

I just became aware of this game and have it on order. I was hoping to get it before I went on vacation, but it doesn't appear that will happen. Can't wait to get my copy.

(Love Live Battles Magazine!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Omer Hertz
Israel
Kfar Vradim
Galil
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ummm, at the risk of sounding ridiculous... where's the review?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Deniaud
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
It was the first post in this thread. It disappeared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Litsios
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As some of the BGG readers found one of the reviews written by Stephen Best offensive to the Muslims, Mr. M. Kirschenbaum subsequently reported to the BGG management and all reviews written by Stephen Best were removed from the BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ilias Litsios
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can read the review here:

http://prowargames.ru/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=312&p=2847#...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Carlos Gonzalez
msg tools
ilia1813 wrote:

Thanks for the link. I was looking for the review and I couldn't find it anywhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
junkers doll
msg tools
Thanks for taking the time to explain the situation and fish up the review, Ilias.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.