Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Rolfson
Canada
Glenwood
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to play this with my son. He picked the name of the hero and helped me with the stats. Then he lost interest and went to watch Cars. So I played it through without him. I changed the name of the hero though. Here's how it went, narrative style:

The Harvester had been ravaging shipping along the coastline for a year. Nobody knew where it came from, they just wanted it gone. The citizens of the coastal town of Crystal Bay had few resources available to them and nobody willing to face whatever horrors awaited a would-be attacker on board that ghostly galleon. But they had a prisoner. A thief of moderate ability. He had stolen a horse and ridden it into town where it was recognized immediately as belonging to the sheriff. With death as his punishment, Alonzo the Thief was given a choice: hang from the gallows or board the Harvester and subdue it's master with promise of a pardon should he succeed. Thinking there might be a way to escape the floating wreck or at least a small chance at survival if he couldn't, Alonzo chose the latter. Thus, equipped with his choice of items from the seizures closet in the Sheriff's office, Alonzo the Thief rowed out in a small boat to the Crystal Shoals...and waited for the Harvester.

Alonzo the Thief
Dexterity: 3 (+2)
Ranged: 0
Endurance: 2
Acumen: 1
Melee: 2

Items:
1 Gold, 2 Keys, 3 Charms, 1 Scroll (Summon Cannonball)

Items with bonus effects:
Slobbery Sabre: +1 Strength, +1 Tick per kill
Swashbelt & buckle: +1 Protection, +1 Dexterity
Historically Inaccurate Bandana: +1 Dexterity

Turn 1:
The Harvester suddenly appeared out of the mist, so close to the little boat that it was no problem to reach out and grab one of the ropes trailing from the deck. Climbing aboard, Alonzo spotted a chest. A thief just can't resist an unguarded chest, so he used one of his keys to get it open. Inside were four arrows and a scroll to summon a cannonball. Almost useless, but maybe he could get some cash from these things, if he survived.

Turn 2:
Alonzo spotted a hatch and moved toward it. There was a strange Brass Monkey standing over it. It might have been a statue since it didn't do anything and Alonzo slipped down the hatch into the dark below...

Turn 3:
...straight into the waiting tentacles of a Krakenling! The tentacles had such suction, there was no escaping their clutches. He tried to hack at the beast, but it simply brushed away his sword-hand, batting him on the head twice in rapid succession. Alonzo regained his wits and two swings of his sword rendered the Krakenling motionless. He kicked one of the tentacles away, revealing a key lying on the floor. Alonzo shrugged and picked it up.

Turn 4:
Determined to be more careful, Alonzo passed into the neighboring section of this lower deck. His eyes must not have adjusted to the much dimmer light because he was grabbed by another Krakenling! Again, he was roughed up in the scuffle, but managed to dispatch the creature. He found a gold coin.

Turn 5:
Alonzo found a strange machine with markings and holes in its sides. The marks seemed to indicate that the machine would exchange items. Worth a shot, I guess. Alonzo placed the arrows and gold and Swashbelt into the receiver hole. Out the other side came a Dashing Weather Resistant Coat (+2 Protection, +2 Acumen). Putting on the coat felt like a warm hug. He felt smarter too. There were stairs going down as well, so Alonzo descended to the next deck.

Turn 6:
Oh, ghastly sight! Alonzo beheld some kind of bird in molt, only it seemed to be losing flesh as well as feathers. The ParROT was perched on a flask containing some kind of slime. He couldn't tell what colour it was as it seemed to change from one murky hue to the next. Whatever was in that flask was calling out to Alonzo, he just had to have it! He carefully approached the bird-thing. Discovering that it had lost its eyes, Alonzo carefully lifted the ParROT from its perch, setting it on the ground. The flask was slipped into his pocket for later and headed back to the stairway to climb down again.

Turn 7:
Another one of those machines. Alonzo was beginning to rethink holding on to those cannonball scrolls. He really didn't think he could pull them off. So he put them and the sabre and his last gold coin into the machine. It spit out a Heavy Oar (+2 Strength, +1 Melee). He wondered if it was a good trade.

Turn 8:
Descending again, Alonzo heard the most lovely voice singing a haunting song of lost love. He was almost tempted to show himself, but he realized that such a beautiful creature as the one before him had no place on a ghost ship like the Harvester. While its head was still turned he leaped out and bashed the beautiful monster as quickly as he could maneuver the heavy oar. It found its mark twice in a row.

Found 2 arrows and a gold, too.

Turn 9:
What was with these machines all over the place? He wasn't wasting any time with this one!

Turn 10:
Turning around, Alonzo saw an Idol Hand. He knew these to be difficult to overcome, but also very rewarding if beaten.

He tried sneaking by the Hand since he knew he couldn't inflict any damage on it with his oar. It was easier than he thought. Maybe he could snag some of the treasure.

Nope. Run away!

Alonzo felt the Hand hit him, but the Coat he wore protected him. Back at the trading machine, he decided to go a different way.

Turn 11:
Alonzo drank the contents of the flask as he sensed he was nearing the end of this quest. It turned out to be a simple Maiz (+3 Health) gone slightly bad, hence the sliminess. He felt a little rejuvenated regardless.

There was another siren here. Alonzo knew what to do! Never knew what hit it. It was just as easy as the last one. And he got a gold coin and two arrows for his trouble.

Turn 12:
Didn't feel in the least bit ready to take on the Harvester's master. So Alonzo went back to the machine again and found he was able, getting rid of most of his stuff, to get an Out of Kontext Katana. Now he would have an outside chance.

Turn 13-14
Alonzo made his way back to the boss' lair.

Turn 15:
Wonder of gruesome wonders! It was Captain Coaleye! A notorious pirate some 150 years ago. Still alive? No, but very undead. Alonzo gripped his blade. Well, here went nothing!

Alonzo charged! Ol' Coaleye did nothing to dodge the Katana and it pierced her through the chest. As Alonzo pulled his sword back out, she laughed at his puny effort.

Again and again he tried to bring down the undead demon pirate, but his blows were easily deflected. Finally, she grabbed Alonzo by the face and kissed him on the mouth. As she did, he felt his soul being dragged out of his body. His last thought before joining the undead crew of this cursed ship was how strangely blissful this kiss of death felt. It sure beat the noose at any rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rolfson
Canada
Glenwood
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I realized after submitting this that I had built up the character stats all wrong due to a mis-reading of the rules. The mistake resulted in lower stats than should have been.

However, using the way the character stats are supposed to be built, my next game seemed to be remarkably easy to win. I might go for some stat development method that lands me somewhere in between the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is beautiful!

And as for not getting the stats right, the whole thing's a broken mess. However you're able to have fun playing it is probably the correct way to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.