BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: how do you organize your games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zach
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I'm sure this has been posted countless times, but how do you organize your games?
I have 4 shelves and probably about 40 ish games. Each shelf can hold a bit more than 20 pounds. We are trying to decide the best way to do it.
Some possibilities are by difficulty, time, type of game, or just pure alphabetical.
I'm sure there's no best way. What I'm wondering is if it's worth even trying to find the best way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb

At risk of stating the obvious, the best way is the way that works best for you.

One of the things I do is to put my unplayed games at eye level with the micro-mid weight games on the shelf below that because that is where we are right now in life- trying to play more unplayed games and sneaking in games after the kids goes to sleep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Five shelves.
1: Games my partner will play
2-3: Games I have played before.
4: Games I have yet to play
5: Games I want to trade
Drawers to the side: small-box games and binders of collectible card games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's so weird. I think we were typing the same thread question at the same time! I just spent all day adding new shelves to my room. And wondered how other people go about there collections!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dano Fish
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I organize mine by weight/complexity. I also have one shelf dedicated only to filler and party games-- basically small stuff I can grab on the way to game night or holiday get together.

I personally find weight/complexity the most intuitive way to organize, because this is usually how I am going to first conceptualize which type of game I want to pull out. I'm gonna evaluate the players for how much game they can handle, and go from there. I like to be able to pinpoint the 'feel' I'm looking for and then browse that 'feeling' off one shelf.

My collection is not large enough to warrant an extra level of organization, but if yours is extensive you could further organize each stack of games-- maybe top to bottom by time, player count, or theme.

as for alphabetical, perhaps if your collection is truly vast this is the only reliable way to find things, but I just dont find myself often looking for 'A game that starts with letter "D"!'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Boardgamer
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space is a premium for me, so they are sorted by how they fit on the shelf the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
Space is a premium for me, so they are sorted by how they fit on the shelf the best.

+1

I have no trouble scanning and finding, the boxes are so unique and attractive. I put them where they fit best, and try to put the less used ones in the nooks and crannies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Find a place where it fits, that's where it sits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan
msg tools
My bottom shelf is for staples. My Chess and Go boards, poker chips, standard playing cards, extra sleeves and baggies, and anything else I can squeeze in that I can't fit anywhere else.

Top shelf is for my small box games, which also coincidentally acts as my lightweight 2-player shelf.

Every shelf in between is more or less packed Tetris-like to fit as much as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SORTA by type, then by size/shape after that, which inevitably messes it all up a bit.

Aside from that, my games are in two spaces in the same room. A low shelf holds about 2/3 of them. If you want to browse for awhile, you'll likely want to sit on the floor.

The other 1/3 is displayed on top of a bookshelf, closer to eye level. These are the games that are loosely my favorites, or that I just like to have on display for visitors. They're arranged in 4 stacks, each stack is VERY loosely themed, with games that clearly break the rules so that there is actually no detectable theme. But in my head there is. haha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Tetris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Comboteur "Crazed 'Beastface' Survivor" Fou
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Get rid of the boxes and put my games in a M:tG Holiday Gift Box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Gienger
Germany
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Box size on shelves. Games for trade are in a big box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Hankins
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the sort them by theme, which can result in games with very different mechanics and play styles sharing shelf space but it looks better (to me at least)

meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teeka
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bearhug78 wrote:
eatem wrote:
Like Tetris

Yup.

I also try to keep the boxes in the best shape possible, so heavy ones go on the bottom and fragile ones on top.
If at all possible though, I do try to put the most played ones in an accessible place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Nagels
Belgium
Olen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also one of those people who just stores games in shelves they fit in together.
However, I happen to have one shelf dedicated to Days of Wonder-games and another shelf that includes only games with an "island"-theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart R.
Belgium
Tongeren
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have separate shelves for all the Ticket to Ride boxes for Queen's Big Boxes and small boxes, but all the other games have a semi-fixed position. This means they usually go back where they came from, unless I take out three or more at once - in that case, whatever way they fit back in is fine .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mainly by company. That also means that many games that share the same box size are together.

But in fact, all my games are somewhat scattered around the whole basement. Especially the small boxes. Still, so far I was always able to locate every single game on request meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By max player count.

Pete (can quickly eliminate an entire wall of games when the fifth player shows up)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Narff
France
flag msg tools
mbmb
eatem wrote:
Like Tetris

Noooo ! I don't want my games to disappear !

But onto the thread : I organize my boxes as I can depending on the several small spaces I have, and depending on how much I like the games & play them often
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
plezercruz wrote:
By max player count.

Pete (can quickly eliminate an entire wall of games when the fifth player shows up)

just one wall?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
We have one cadenza with 6 cubbies so it is Tetris style for us. Getting a new game can mean reorganizing every game. So far all games fit flat except for a few smalls like Biblios which seem to be designed to be stored vertically. I also have a few empty expansion boxes shoved in the side of the shelf with the fewest games. The only reason I display those is to advertise that I own them so I don't get them as gifts from loved ones... which had happened when I kept the empty boxes in storage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I don;t have a dedicated gaming shelf here (yet), what usually happens is I need to rearrange pretty much everything we have on shelves every time my collection increases significantly (as it has in the last two weeks). Niceties like alphabetical order usually go out of the window in favour of just finding space for everything and making it look half-presentable.

That said, at the peak of my collection (i.e. before I got married), I had a tendency to order by size first and then the colour of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Race Bannon wrote:
Bearhug78 wrote:

+1

I have no trouble scanning and finding, the boxes are so unique and attractive. I put them where they fit best, and try to put the less used ones in the nooks and crannies.

We do this too, except we also colour match inside of this so it's the most pleasing. For example, our bottom shelf has two baskets of card games, accessories, etc. and The Bloody Inn, Codenames, Codenames Pictures, and Munchkin Booty (more fun than you'd think). All orangey and red. And we have Machi Koro with its gray side facing out because it fit best next to Castle Panic. So it's based on fit and then organized with pleasing colour from there!

Our shelf is gorgeous and we are proud of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glouie wrote:
plezercruz wrote:
By max player count.

just one wall?
Funny you should mention this...

Pete (has had trouble confining the four-player games to the one wall and they've wrapped a bit around one corner)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.