Subject: Game collections and how you organize rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So as my collection continues to grow and grow. I am running into an issue that I am sure many of us have! Organization.

I personally always try to keep everything alphabetized.

My question to the community, how do you organize your collection? Do you alphabetize, do you organize by box size, do you organize by game type/mechanic, etc, etc, etc.

I am interested in how people go about there collections. I know most people also use kallax shelves from Ikea.

Hopefully at some point my game room will be clean enough for me to share some photos as well, but right now its a disaster! Would love to see some examples from the community!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb

Odd, this is the almost same question asked right before yours how do you organize your games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is weird. We must of been typing out our threads at the same time. I didn't even see it! I just spent all day adding some new shelves and wondered how other people go about there collections!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
However I can fit 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabor B.
Hungary
Straight outta Borsod
flag msg tools
"Virtue is nothing else than right reason."
badge
Goatham.
mbmbmbmbmb
At us, every shelf has a theme. The most important of them is the 'Wife Approved Games'.
Also made a little deck of cards with all the game data with NANDeck ('OnlyHuman' script), and they are in the order of the games on the shelves, with separators inbetween to indicate the beggining of a new shelf. Never used them for anything, but was fun to make

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Besta units as they have a little more flexibility over a Kallax. I start off with trying to keep similar styles of games/theme with each other, but as most shelves have a fixed width (I store games vertically/on their 'side') I usually have a little bit of cross bleed so there's no annoying little gaps.

Usually about once every 3 months or so (or less if I have a busy maths trade) I'll end up pulling most of the games off the shelves and re-arranging, partly because it looks nicer, but also because it means I can store more games without my with commenting on the games overflowing my storage!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Best (in my opinion) Player Count.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
Stephenville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being a bit of a collector, I own way more games than I have played. For this reason, I am interested in a finding the results of someone who organizes their games by similarity. At first glance, this might not seem like a good way to do it as many people probably don't have a bunch of similar games, however if you have a very large collection you most certainly do have many instances of games that provide nearly the same experience even though they are different games.

The problem I find in getting help with this is how you define similar. Some folks would say checkers and chess are similar because they are both 2 player abstracts using a square board with square spaces where you eliminate your opponents game pieces. Others would say that Command & Colors: Ancients and Command & Colors: Napoleonics are not very similar because they have some rule differences and cover different time periods.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lowrey
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm one of those people in the "however they fit category."

In my case, board games take up a third of the main (nice) book case in my office, plus a portion of the office closet. The bookcase though isn't deep enough to easily accommodate the standard 30cm deep boxes, so I put games in bookcase-sized boxes on the bookshelf (why don't more games come in boxes that sized?) and the games in larger boxes on the shelf in the closet, with the ones I'm more likely to play more readily accessible. I also have two cheap IKEA hanging organizers in the closet for smaller games -- card games, but also Battle Sheep, Lanterns, and Takenoko.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robininni wrote:
Being a bit of a collector, I own way more games than I have played. For this reason, I am interested in a finding the results of someone who organizes their games by similarity. At first glance, this might not seem like a good way to do it as many people probably don't have a bunch of similar games, however if you have a very large collection you most certainly do have many instances of games that provide nearly the same experience even though they are different games.

The problem I find in getting help with this is how you define similar. Some folks would say checkers and chess are similar because they are both 2 player abstracts using a square board with square spaces where you eliminate your opponents game pieces. Others would say that Command & Colors: Ancients and Command & Colors: Napoleonics are not very similar because they have some rule differences and cover different time periods.

My collection is a bit smaller than yours but still big. Mine, if viewed by a mind other than mine, might seem a bit mish-mashy. I have a variety of systems at work at once. I use box size in one area, by publisher with others, by two player, by filler, by meaty and the newest area is a true mishmash that has not been properly organized. Some of the lower shelves are used for games that will not be selected much.

Unless it is fairly new to my collection, I can keep track of where it is and where it needs to go back to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Wilcox
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I organize by size, shape and frequency of use.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Lartigue
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bookshelf and I cram them in however they will fit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I worked on and cleaned my game room for about 8 hours today. Some of it has now spilled into the closet, and some of it to my finished basement (mostly CMON kickstarters, but also desecent and imperial assault). I try to stay alphabetical, not sure why. Then it is basically tetris style, slide this in here slide this in there. I left some space on some shelves for a little expansion here and there. I am just about out of room though cry
Especially considering all the kickstarters and preorders that are going to be coming in the next few months, and basically throughout the year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Trinket
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a Kallax a few years ago but the shelving spaces weren't really economical enough for some of the larger games I owned and I couldn't afford to purchase enough of these units to really fit all 350+ games I have now. So I upgraded to hammer lock shelves. They were a lot cheaper than Kallax and the industrial look, really adds flavour to the game room.

I organise my games, by how best I can fit them and to some degree they are themed but some themed-sections have more games than others and I try to put the games that are being played more often in easier to access shelves. Then new games are added on a regular basis so eventually the games end up moving all over the place. GAH!!!! cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
SANJURO: You're all tough, then? GAMBLER: What? Kill me if you can! SANJURO: It'll hurt.
mbmbmbmbmb
MLowrey wrote:

Same. I have them in 6 separate locations scattered around the apartment. They go wherever they fit. There is no other rhyme or reason. Except that the more commonly played games tend to gravitate to more easily accessible areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
MLowrey wrote:

Same. I have them in 6 separate locations scattered around the apartment. They go wherever they fit. There is no other rhyme or reason. Except that the more commonly played games tend to gravitate to more easily accessible areas.

Ah yes, NYC living. I am blesses with linen shelves in my closet and not a lot of linens! But really what happens is I purge pretty frequently out of necessity. It's some times painful but I always say the best thing about living in the city is it keeps you honest about the crap you own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rudis
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wanted share some quick pics. I have a little room for expansion. I can always put some toys away. cry

This has overflowed into the basement...

This doesn't include the one bedroom closet filled with heroscape stuff, and the other one that is filled with all the old classics (monopoly, many different scene its and trivial pursuits, games like that)

Plus my 3 month old daughters closet is starting a little kids game collection...

My wife jokes that I need to go to board gamers anonymous and get help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.