Jersey Guys
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mb
Under rule 23.1, a major power can intervene by sending a naval unit during movement, combat or SR phase. Here's my question: If the naval unit is being moved to the minor country during the movement or combat phase and is intercepted, and loses the battle and sent back to its home base, would intervention still occur?

Or does the fleet actually have to reach the port or beach of the minor country for the intervention to be considered successful?

How does everyone play this? Thanks always in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Preiser
United States
Federal Way
Washington
flag msg tools
SFMF
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played it as the fleet having to reach port.
If the ships don't make it to port, they couldn't offload their troops or be in range to bombard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Carter
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. It seems to me that if the fleet's mission fails, its intervention fails as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konstantinos K
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also agree, for this particular situation that this does not count as an intervention. However please keep in mind that rules make very clear that in the "remotely analogous" situation for purposes of preventing a DoW revocation, a failed mission (due to successful interception) does indeed "count" as an offensive mission and a DoW is not revoked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cox
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always played that the ship had to actually make it there.

A parallel interpretation with regard to land units is written inside the rule book itself. I can't remember the exact verbatim, but the author/designer's exact words were something to the effect of,
"...ground units to the minor country's hex...yada yada... if not...blah blah...in the nex...blah blah, then intervention does not take place - the intervening power has in effect backed down from its intervention..."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oh my God They Banned Kenny
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I agree with the consensus here.

A valid point was raised with respect to declarations of war, where an intercepted mission may still be considered to satisfy the requirement to take some offensive action against the target of the DoW. However, that in itself is an explicit exception. There is no parallel exception in the intervention rules. Thus an intercepted (turned back) movement / mission does not constitute intervention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.