Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmb
Since I'm well into the swing of working on and dabbling with Custom Heroes who do you recommend to slap together a set of cards for, favorites?

For me the list starts with

Null, by pwatson, and also Grom by Jaggid.

Who did you enjoy teaming up with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Like many, I love the Cauldron and have printed and played with all of them, but my particular favourites are...

Cricket: Nice, balanced support who has pretty good offense of her own. Renegade Cricket is particularly fun as a supporter.

Tango One: I hated Tango at first, she seemed very underpowered. However once I got the hang of maximizing Critical strikes and figured out what Infiltrate was for she became a favourite. Still not top tier power wise, but fun and very capable of contributing.

Malichae: Takes a bit of getting used to, and you have to really know what all the Djinn are and how they contribute, but you really have a cool feeling of building up to something - finding the right puzzle pieces for that one awesome turn!

Baccarat: So wierd, but so good. You really have to get your head around how he plays, but he has a lot of potential for fun and power. Each of the variants plays really differently too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Watson
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Glad you enjoyed Null. He's definitely my favourite of all the ones I've created. Certainly the one creating the flavour for the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmb
He really is a blast to play.

As far as Cauldron Heroes go, I am as big time Titan fan, he just always has something to do. When someone is playing for the first time and it seems like the are struggling with the character that they are playing I will get Quicksilver out. She is such a simple play, but such an effective damage dealer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
I haven't actually played with The Cauldron yet, but I really like Impact and Lady of the Woods. The Knight looks pretty cool.
I don't mean this to be harsh, but a lot of the heroes posted here on bgg have weird balance problems. Not bad design choices, just stuff that needs more play testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff B.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Everyone knows the best Cauldron Hero is Magnificent Mara.
Everyone.
whistle

Outside of my heroes, I really like:

Vanish. I don't play her as much because I tend to take over games as her, but the feel of playing a teleporter is right on, and the shenanigans you can pull off with her are fantastic.

Alpha. A brilliant deck design that pays smoothly. You wouldn't expect that from a deck designed to be chaotic, but it is really well designed and still my favorite custom deck.

Skunkworks. May or may not be finished, but it's a great deck. I like decks that are a bit off the wall and play in a fun way, and this really hits those marks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Brown
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mara is indeed a lot of fun-- she and Echelon have been some of my favorite additions to The Cauldron!

I'm admittedly biased towards The Cauldron because it's already got art for everything and feels like a real expansion when playing with them. While I like trying heroes without art, I find it harder to always remember what I have in hand when it's just text on cards. (Similar experience while playtesting OblivAeon; it surprises me how helpful the art is when you know a hero/villain to identify what you can do/what's about to happen.)

Of non-Cauldron stuff, the ones I'd like to play around with more and hope one day get art treatment are pwatson's conversion of Citizen Dawn (it rings to me less as a villain playing hero and more 'I'm helping you right now because it suits my needs'), Centurion, Senator Lisa Bolt, and Lily Black.

I also hope The Yoshi comes back some day to finish his Vengeance conversion of villains; those things are great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Maltman
msg tools
bobbertoriley322 wrote:

Of non-Cauldron stuff, the ones I'd like to play around with more and hope one day get art treatment are pwatson's conversion of Citizen Dawn (it rings to me less as a villain playing hero and more 'I'm helping you right now because it suits my needs'), Centurion, Senator Lisa Bolt, and Lily Black.

Centurion getting love, makes me all tingly inside lol. Glad you like him, maybe art one day.

As to the post I would love to playtest/run pwatson's Null and Militia. Cauldron is always amazing to play with, especially Vanish (gotta love a teleporter), and Quicksilver (the risk/reward for more damage is an amazing concept).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cullen
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played with any yet, but have really enjoyed looking through and reading flavour-text for, Cricket, Lady of the Woods and Necro,

I would LOVE to get into the Cauldron sets, but shipping to the UK is as much as the sets themselves, and I'm not aware of anywhere UK based that prints cards for custom heroes.

Paul - as you're in the UK, do you have any printer recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only done Cauldron. That being said I've played it a decent amount (generally speaking played at least 2-5 games with each hero, and in many cases been in games where others were played).

I always have a blast with Baccarat. I really like the mechanics, and the fact that the variants all play slightly differently is pure gold. Since his power is critical to how he plays, it gives them each a different feel. I know if I need a hero for consistent sustained damage, I want the Ace of Swords.

Malichae is probably my second favorite Cauldron hero. The new variant may end up being my preferred version of him, though 24 HP start is rough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
ChazIsidore wrote:

Malichae is probably my second favorite Cauldron hero. The new variant may end up being my preferred version of him, though 24 HP start is rough.

I know what you mean. I played my first game with the new variant of Malichae recently, and loved it. Lots of fun decision-making!

I have not gotten a handle on Baccarat, I guess. Everyone here says they love him, but I have not had a good time with him yet. I guess I have not figured him out...though I have tried a few times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gillen
msg tools
pwatson1974 wrote:
Glad you enjoyed Null. He's definitely my favourite of all the ones I've created. Certainly the one creating the flavour for the most.

I checked the spreadsheet (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1IjubaI3UmR2-m5SWTDbf...) and it says Null is printable, but I didn't find a link to the cards. Would you be able to provide one?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm actually working through a set of grayscale playtest cards for null. I will drop them in my drive when I finish them. I'm also doing a set for Grom.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Richardson
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
For the Cauldron, I have everyone except for the Stormfall trio, Doc Havoc, and Necro. I'm getting Stormfall and Doc Havoc, but Necro just isn't my thematic style. That being said, my current favorites would be:

1) Titan - He feels strong & reliable, but without going over board.

2) Stranger - Awesome support Hero. Love balancing when to hold on and when to let go of your Runes. (I'm looking forward to Echelon)

3) Malichae - Just love his theme and the mechanics support it.

The non-Cauldron decks I have are Turbulence (by Chris Garret) and The Geisha (by Leif Heanzo?).

As for other decks on here, I haven't played any yet, but the ones that have caught my eye to eventually play are: The Cartographer (by Phantaskippy), Militia (by Pwatson1974), and Refuse (by Ghostiness).

Of course, I haven't really looked at any of the more recent stuff yet (so many & not enough time ). Hope to give them a look at some point though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you guys give links to some of these as you post them? I am interested in looking at some of these, but I really don't want to drudge through page after page of posts looking for these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Richardson
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You can find the Cauldron stuff at Mathew Bishop's website or buy them at DriveThruCards.

The Cartographer

Militia

Turbulence (plus the rest of Chris's stuff)

Refuse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Pro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
I've really enjoyed all the Cauldron content I've purchased. I haven't really printed out other stuff except my own playtests.

I'm flattered that people (and Forum luminaries even!) have included Sen. Lisa Bolt and Skunkworks! I'm still getting used to using the Adobe Illustrator templates and getting cards up with art. Both have had a little playtesting and are close to final but not there yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Johnson
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really appreciate all of the links. Some of those look really cool. I also found another one that I'm now really interested in playing:

Citizen Dead

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Watson
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Chris,
I tend to buy Drivehru but I'm lucky enough to be able to occasionally splah out on insanities like that. Not sure of a good uk card pritner. Printer Studio is still fairly good, but also has higher shipping costs.

Before I did that, I just printed them on paper and sleeved them with a business card for stiffness, ut that doesn't look as good as professionally done cards.

Tyler,
The spreadsheet is apparently in error. The only versions I have of them are print from Excel in roughly card shapes. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmb
Whoooo. Sorry for hinting at playtest cards. I upgraded to Illustrator CC, and its taken me a few days to get the hang of it. That said I should have a set of playtest greyscale cards done for Grom and for Null before Monday, I will also try to bang out a set for Militia, any other requests?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Ellis
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, with a productive weekend I have finished playtest cards for both null, and Grom.

Hero Playtest Files
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enjoyed a lot of the customs so far. Not taking into account anything from my lot, I would say I have enjoyed the Cartographer by Phantaskippy and Malichae by Tosx. Also, I really like playing Tango One by Tosx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.