21 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Scenario 18 help? Spoilers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well this was my fourth time trying this scenario, and while I'm getting closer I feel that I'm missing something, so I come to you oh great veterans of gooomhaven to give me a hand , this is the situation

- my party is : Brute level 3 (soon 4 with all this grinding ), Tinkerer level 2, spellweaver level 3

- creatures in level 2

- enemies are not super strong but I feel like cause the scenario is a bit long getting to the last room with enough cards to fight it's tough, also the damn oozes keep multiplying , last tiem I entered the last room and they drew the card and so there were 8 of them, I had no problem killing the other enemies, but the oozes with their range just destroyed the whole party, so any advice ? Maybe my class combo is a bit weak ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm playing a similar team but Cragheart (4), Tinkerer(4) and Spellweaver(5) and I got beaten in that one just yesterday twice, which is to some extent also because my Spellweaver just leveled up and I just had to switch to the next difficulty level (3) - and also she doesn't mind so much, because she has to kill a certain type of enemy and redoing it helps in this case, so maybe she is also sabotaging me .
In the last run I came pretty close, but I had one ooze left that muliplied when everyone ran out of cards and then healed.

For me it's also the oozes that are the big problem.
Initially I stunned them a lot to keep them from multiplying but then they also didn't damage themselves, so I'm still not really sure if it's better to let them do it (at least the normal ones as they can't create full health ones) or not.
Because the second time it went actually a lot better when I basically was trying to wait them out to some extent (at least the ones after the first room) until some of them multiplied themselves away . I blocked the way to get to me easily with obstacles created by the Cragheart and then summoned several distractions with Spellweaver and Tinkerer and got a few wounds in while trying to stay out of range, trying to push them in their little corner (which is I guess not as easy to do with the Brute as I think he doesn't have that much ranged stuff?). It makes it tough to not run out of cards though, so I need to keep trying this evening.

One thing I'm btw not sure about: what's with the water connection between the first and second room? Because the door somehow makes it seem like the rooms shouldn't be connected, but the water clearly does seem to connect them, so just wondering how people play it. I basically just spawned monster in room 2 when I opened the door but treated the water as still connecting the rooms.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathew G Somers
United States
flag msg tools
ovis wrote:
One thing I'm btw not sure about: what's with the water connection between the first and second room? Because the door somehow makes it seem like the rooms shouldn't be connected, but the water clearly does seem to connect them, so just wondering how people play it. I basically just spawned monster in room 2 when I opened the door but treated the water as still connecting the rooms.

Right, so I'm fairly positive these are still two separate rooms, and that there is actually a wall between those two water tiles (imagine a vertical grate of some sort in the wall, allowing water to pass through). My interpretation stems from the fact there is a door present, and that because the two hexes in question, were they otherwise not covered in water, would be considered divided by a wall already, as denoted by the darker shaded images printed on the map tiles. So, although the water obscures this shading, I would assume the wall to still stand.

PS: Oozes appear to be the bane of many a mercenary's existence, haha...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kerstin
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Mathew: yeah, I guess that makes sense. Eventually I made my life a bit harder for the most part by allowing enemies to use the water to get to me and attack me (instead of using the door), but I also used it once with my party, so in the end I guess it balanced out somewhat.

So I finally did beat it now and what eventually helped a lot was simply bringing "stuff" on the board next to the oozes: obstacles created by the Cragheart, traps and summons from the Tinkerer and Spellweaver (I actually switched that card back in for her) and also pushing other enemies next to them. They did manage to split once in a while but in many cases I managed to not have empty spaces next to at least some of them, meaning that they did take the damage without benefiting from the split.

Still a bit pain those big green blobs, I'm starting to notice that I don't really have anything piercing in my deck and equipment. Getting through the 2 Shield of the elite ones was quiet a pain. WOunds helped a lot and I guess I got a bit lucky they didn't get their healing action a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cthulhu Dreams
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dgenclass wrote:
Well this was my fourth time trying this scenario, and while I'm getting closer I feel that I'm missing something, so I come to you oh great veterans of gooomhaven to give me a hand , this is the situation

- my party is : Brute level 3 (soon 4 with all this grinding ), Tinkerer level 2, spellweaver level 3

- creatures in level 2

- enemies are not super strong but I feel like cause the scenario is a bit long getting to the last room with enough cards to fight it's tough, also the damn oozes keep multiplying , last tiem I entered the last room and they drew the card and so there were 8 of them, I had no problem killing the other enemies, but the oozes with their range just destroyed the whole party, so any advice ? Maybe my class combo is a bit weak ?

Oozes are bastards - the obvious counter is dumping AoE damage on them so the 'splitting' effects are less effective (damage counts twice so hitting them with AoE pre split really makes a diffence) but the shield really works against that strategy.

I'm thinking taking some specalised items would really help dealing with them. E.g. A power potion + the piecing bow + fire orbs or similar would really allow the Spellweaver to clown on Oozes.

Maybe that's something to look at.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Balazs Cseke
Hungary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We completed this scenario yesterday. It was our second try.
I stormed into the room with my craigheart then blocked the oozes with three obstacles created. Next round used aoe range attack with shield piercing bow. They drew their spawn card two times in three rounds, but they didn't have empty space near so got only damaged, basically killing thenselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Wow. This scenario really irritated me. First time dealing with oozes and playing with limited movement of Brute and revamped scoundrel proved difficult. After two failures I called it a night but am thoroughly annoyed. It didn't hit me until it was too late in the second run to just let the oozes multiply to death. You can still get some bad draws with the heal card but that seems to be the way to go unless you have a spellweaver that can inflict better AOE and maybe stuns.

Scenario needs: Heals and Ranged attacks. Also a character with a high card count like a tinkerer who can wait out the oozes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We beat this one recently by waiting out the oozes. We also had a Triangle class, with an ability that happened to be perfectly suited to that final room and how the Oozes moved around the big water blob in the center.

I suspect that some way to inflict Poison/Wound on a group would be very useful for the final room, as it would prevent the healing on the Oozes from happening.

I definitely feel you want the bastards to split very often to make it easier to hit and kill them.

I also feel you absolutely need to kill the Vipers quickly, as the Poison on their attacks makes the massed attacks of the Scouts and Oozes deal a lot more damage.

Finally, just to be clear, the Oozes can't summon onto a Water tile hex, or a hex with a Coin on it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CrushU wrote:
Finally, just to be clear, the Oozes can't summon onto a Water tile hex, or a hex with a Coin on it?

OMG! I think we forgot that. You're absolutely right. Water hexes are not empty, so oozes cannot summon into them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wes Holland

North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
countertorque wrote:
CrushU wrote:

OMG! I think we forgot that. You're absolutely right. Water hexes are not empty, so oozes cannot summon into them.

Yeah, we screwed that up in the first room and used an attack and took damage we shouldn't have... But we won anyway. I was unsure about it because of how the oozes spawned, they wouldn't be able to summon more, and that seemed wrong... But for the next room I had some time so I looked up the FAQ, and yep, 'Empty' hex can only have Door, Pressure Plate or Corridor on it. Anything else on a hex makes it Not Empty. So Water makes it Not Empty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Fakhouri
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
This scenario was very tough, and I made it even worse for my group by convincing them to try it out on Hard (I figured it was reasonable since we were completely stomping the other scenarios we did on Normal). Whoops!

Our game took 25 rounds and the Scoundrel (played by me) just had to outlast the oozes in the last room and let them duplicate to death. It was a really close game, and it was one long rest away from defeat.

In the end, we had defeated a total of 43 enemies (including duplicating oozes). Yowch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Grubert
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am really torn how I feel about this scenario. The weird waterway left us scratching our heads (we opted to treat the map as 3 separate rooms). The shielded ooze made it hard for my Spellweaver to cause enough damage whereas the Cragheart kept getting hit by strong viper attacks. And of course we kept drawing the ooze duplication card- all the time.

The photo above shows the second to last round. My exhausted Spellweaver cleaned up the Vermlings. Then the Ooze does its thing - but by now we are out of standees. That's when the Cragheart comes running into the room and does two AOE attacks and that wipes out all the Ooze. A most impressive ending to an otherwise frustrating scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Schitthelm
Germany
Erlangen
Bavaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also had a difficult time with the Scenario to put it mildly. The first try was a total Desaster... But I am convinced this was mostly due to bad strategic decisions. Our Party is Minsthief Lvl 5, Scoundrel Lvl 4, Spellweaver Lvl 4 and Angry Face Lvl 3. Missing a real tank makes the first half very tricky since there is a lot of poison in the air. Having a too aggressive scoundrel and playing On Lvl 3 and therefore hard did not make things easier. We barely managed to open the last door and then were defeated by the army of oozes.

In our group a discussion started if someone should rush the last room to provoke the Oozes to die on multiplaying in a suicide mission or play it very card conservative and slowly avoiding damage and only progress if the Monsters of a Room are finished. Some players argue that this takes to many turns and we will run out of cards before reaching the final room. The pure amount of damage the Oozes put out is also very challenging.

Has anyone thoughts on the two ideas how to approach the Scenario? Both ideas come from very experienced players who are not easy to convince to agree on the other plan.

Currently we settled on playing other scenarios until the scoundrel retires. Since this is done by the 200 Gold Quest this Char skipped on enhancements altogether which also has some restrictions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Richardt
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of one player sprinting across and open the last door. That sounds like a fun way to probably win the scenario.

Our group has just finished that scenario with one turn to spare. Our group consists of brute (lvl 3), Spellweaver (lvl 3) and Scroundrel (lvl 2) at the time.

The main problems we actually had were our summons as they were in the way for most of the time - especially in the tight corridor with the water hexes on one side.

The summons also killed some of the vermlings much to the disgust to the Brute who needs to kill vermlings left, right & centre!!!

As a group we found it astonishing how often these Oozes summon - despite shuffling the cards!!! yuk

As a group we enjoyed the scenario but it took us 3hrs and I think we only had "allocated" 60-90 minutes!!! Well, that backfired.

I have to say that our communication as a team is pretty good which helped during the scenario despite me (Spellweaver) picking up coins at literally every opportunity!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graeme
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family group finished this scenario last weekend (and was the swansong for both our Cragheart and Mindthief as they completed their personal quests).

What we did was to let the oozes in the second room multiply while we headed to the last room. Because of all the oozes behind us, not all of the oozes in the last room were spawned. They also couldn't multiple.

So the scenario ended up being killing the monsters in the last room while waiting for the oozes in the second room to die from trying (and failing) to summon more oozes. Our Mindthief was exhausted on the round before that happened (but not before he knocked the last elite ooze down to 2 hit points), but the other two characters still had a few turns to go. The oozes then drew one of their summoning cards and we have 10 oozes die in the same round...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus JN
Finland
flag msg tools
I've yet to see Oozes kill themselves, this must be some common internet myth or something. Whenever they get to half HP or so they tend to just heal up, followed by their Target 2 + Poison card when we've decided to move in on them. I think I've never seen them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard McAteer
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've had it happen, certainly. Oozes do kill themselves. There's only one heal card and two splitting cards, and the splitting cards reshuffle. A bit of damage helps the process out. You could have them never die, but only if on every shuffle the heal card was above the split card. Each time either split card is above the heal card the oozes lose two HP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a mathematical analysis on here a while back that calculated the average number of turns it would take for an Ooze to kill itself, and the basic gist was that you shouldn't rely on it, and especially not at higher scenario levels. They will, over time, eventually kill themselves. But at higher HP the number of rounds it takes on average surpasses the number of rounds most characters can survive.

That said, it's still viable to leave an area with Oozes with the intent of coming back later. They can't chase well and even if they don't kill themselves by the time you come back, they will have less (or equal) HP than when you first saw them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Mullet
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dynalange129 wrote:
Wow. This scenario really irritated me. First time dealing with oozes and playing with limited movement of Brute and revamped scoundrel proved difficult. After two failures I called it a night but am thoroughly annoyed. It didn't hit me until it was too late in the second run to just let the oozes multiply to death. You can still get some bad draws with the heal card but that seems to be the way to go unless you have a spellweaver that can inflict better AOE and maybe stuns.

Scenario needs: Heals and Ranged attacks. Also a character with a high card count like a tinkerer who can wait out the oozes.

Not wanting to be 'that guy' but we beat this scenario first time with Brute and Scoundrel and didn't find it atypically difficult. It was a while ago now but from what I can recall:

1) Our high-level Brute had a mass of shielding options and, though there are many enemies, they don't hit particularly hard so he never had any need to heal beyond what a minor healing potion and long-resting could offer.
2) In room 2, the Scoundrel could go invisible and position herself in such a way that oozes weren't able to summon (but still took damage). Monsters can't summon onto water hexes.
3) All big loss cards were saved up to the final room. From memory, the Brute and Scoundrel were both able to use items to increase their damage to become AOE effects.

Spoiler for items and higher level cards:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Brute - Devastating Hack with Battle Axe. Whirlwind with power potion.
Scoundrel - Burning Oil with Volatile Bomb.

4) Planning ahead when the monster ability cards were flipped was critical in the first room. We found that things got so congested that vipers were impeded by their own so had no viable hex from which to attack.

Sadly, the Brute is retired now and we have recently unlocked another scenario that, if the forum is to be believed, promises much ooze-related frustration........

Spoiler

Spoiler (click to reveal)
Oozing Grove

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alec G
Canada
Sherbrooke, QC
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remove the multiplication cards once they were picked. Or else the ooze scenarios are too hard and just plain annoying.

I want to have fun and my son and I hate the ooze scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
That's quite a substantial change. I'm not sure if suggesting a huge nerf house rule really belongs as strategy discussion? I mean, I guess it's a strategy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.