Neanderthal» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Surviving the harsh winter rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Siddharta Govindaraj
India
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played a 2p game of Neanderthal yesterday. Both players selected Harem Holding. Got tough biome cards and rolls. The Elder Die Off events constantly killed both our fire elders and with virtually no safe cards, most hunting expeditions came back with a couple fewer hunters. When we both did manage to increase population, a chaos event turned up and knocked us back to 5 hunters.

Attention moved to courting each other's daughters to get some portal options and guess what, jealous husbands turned up to kill the hunter. Eventually we did get one husband in each others daughter, but with more hunter attrition we weren't able to get to the tribal side.

In the end the opponent won 30 to 18. He managed to get the card that wins tied auctions, and used that to successfully bid on daughters at zero or one cost, and collected a bunch of VPs on them. I ended up with just one of my hunters alive (apart from two wanderlust hunters), though I did manage to collect a trophy. I had to let go of one daughter and two elders in a disastrous blizzard on the last card, with simply not enough hunters to keep the tribe alive.

Overall it was our 7th play of the game. I think we now know how to play the strategy, especially dealing successfully with bad cards and rolls. Although we were both getting wiped out constantly this game, we did feel in control throughout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Ross Spurgeon
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Siddharta - looks like another enjoyable, yet harsh game. I really enjoy this game. You may want to review the Auction phase (rules) - a minimum of ONE disk required to enter the auction. If you are the first player, you can at least set the price at one disk (if you have it). In this case... as first player, I would bid at least one, maybe two disks in an effort gain parity. In very harsh times a player may choose to kill off a daughter (and associated husband)... but I cannot find where this is stated in the manual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm no expert (or novice) to Phil Eklund games. This one took me 30 tries to beat solo! It can be punishing, but each play always give a great narrative.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Siddharta Govindaraj
India
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Spurge wrote:
You may want to review the Auction phase (rules) - a minimum of ONE disk required to enter the auction.

Ah! Thanks for pointing that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bergstrom
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
siddhig wrote:
Played a 2p game of Neanderthal yesterday. Both players selected Harem Holding. Got tough biome cards and rolls. The Elder Die Off events constantly killed both our fire elders and with virtually no safe cards, most hunting expeditions came back with a couple fewer hunters. When we both did manage to increase population, a chaos event turned up and knocked us back to 5 hunters.

Attention moved to courting each other's daughters to get some portal options and guess what, jealous husbands turned up to kill the hunter. Eventually we did get one husband in each others daughter, but with more hunter attrition we weren't able to get to the tribal side.

In the end the opponent won 30 to 18. He managed to get the card that wins tied auctions, and used that to successfully bid on daughters at zero or one cost, and collected a bunch of VPs on them. I ended up with just one of my hunters alive (apart from two wanderlust hunters), though I did manage to collect a trophy. I had to let go of one daughter and two elders in a disastrous blizzard on the last card, with simply not enough hunters to keep the tribe alive.

Overall it was our 7th play of the game. I think we now know how to play the strategy, especially dealing successfully with bad cards and rolls. Although we were both getting wiped out constantly this game, we did feel in control throughout.

I love games that go like this. Usually it's a product of the biome draw and daughter order. The only thing that makes it worse is when one or both players go promiscuous, which heats up the competition for daughters to get the portal actions. I love that this game can go from multi-player solitaire to brutally interactive in the same game as the biomes evolve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.