11 Posts

Mothership: Tabletop Combat» Forums » Rules

Subject: Rules Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan West
msg tools
mbmb
1. Can planets be guarded by ships, in the same way the mothership can?
1a. If not, what's the balance reason for this? Would this be a reasonable house rule?
2. Are buffs included in the damage count, or are they only used to determine the winner in the fight? Page 17 states "A single roll is defined as the number shown on the dice of one ship attacking." Page 12 states "The losing ship takes the total of the winning roll as damage."
3. Does the colony ship provide wingman bonuses to guarding ships?
4. How does combat work in team games? Can friendly ships controlled by different players on the same team attack together?
5. I know that dark tech tree options should not be added together. My understanding was that this makes the math easier, since you don't have to add every time. However, some other tech bonuses in the same tree (Energy Boost and Energy Boost II) affect the same stat; should they be added? Does a player who takes Energy Boost and Energy Boost II get 6 total extra energy?
6. "Target the Women and Children" and "Advanced Engineering" are the two Support tech 3 choices. However, "Advanced Engineering" appears to be trivially a better choice. Is the idea that the tech 4 and 5 options make it worth it to take an inferior tech upgrade?
7. The rules state that all tech 5 upgrades replace the mothership's attack. However, for some of the upgrades, it's not exactly clear to me how this works:
7a. Repair Drones: "Repair your mothership 1HP every turn for each planet you control." The "every turn" language implies to me that you get the benefit even if your mothership attacked that turn.
7b. Solar Beam: "You can sacrifice 2HP for +8 on any mothership roll." Does this mean you get an attack immediately with +8, or that you have a +8 to use on some future roll? If the latter, can you bank multiple +8 buffs? Can you stack them on a single roll? Do you have to declare before rolling that you're using the +8, like with action cards?
8. For the following cards, can you declare that you're using them AFTER you roll? The rule in the book states "You must declare (and reveal) all action cards before you roll (unless your card is to be used after a roll)." Backup Generator is the only card I've seen that explicitly says "After rolling do this..."
- Expansion Pak (doubles damage of a roll)
- Last Stand (destroy attacker when losing dogfight)
- The Forks (re-roll any one of your own dice throws)
- Life support (save a fighter or bomber from destruction when you lose)
- Ninja rope (move a ship two spaces after it attacks)
9. Is there a specific rule about what order players must play their action cards? For instance, I may want to hold onto my +4 shield card and wait to see if the other player has a Shield Breaker. Does one player have to declare "I am playing no cards" first? Can players always choose to respond to an opponent's action card with their own?
9a. More generally, are action cards played "during" combat or "before" combat? Can I choose to buy tech or action cards in response to a defender's action card? Can I play "Pick Up Two Cards" in response to a defender's action card, and then play one of the new cards to buff my attack?
10. Deflector shields reads "Enables one ship to pass through an asteroid field without taking damage." Can this be played after losing an asteroid fight?
11. Can Life support be used to save a ship that would be destroyed by asteroids?
12. Do cards that affect "any roll" (like The Forks or Backup Generator) be used on Replicator (roll a d4 and receive that many resources)?
13. The rules specifically use Shield Breaker and Auxiliary Shield as examples of action card interaction and timing. However, Shield Breaker reads "*disable* an enemy shield for 1 turn." My interpretation would be that "disable" means that the ship cannot benefit from shields this turn, which would include the auxiliary. Is this the intended behavior?
14. How do I double these random event effects:
14a Offworld Trading: Do I get 2 resources for every two planets, or 1 resource for every 1 planet?
14b Solar Storm: Do I get +4 on mothership rolls for 1 round, or +2 for 2 rounds
15. Is the random event action card the only way to trigger a random event?
16. Does the mothership use the lowest *revealed* value of a powered system, or the highest *covered* value?
17. While the rules explicitly state that the wingman rule does not affect asteroid fights, can action cards be played? If so, can action cards that refer to attacks be played, or only cards that refer to defense or any roll?

Thanks for the feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lucretiel wrote:
1. Can planets be guarded by ships, in the same way the mothership can?
1a. If not, what's the balance reason for this? Would this be a reasonable house rule?

I don't believe so. Guarding in the rulebook is only mentioned with colony station, and "Piercing" tech only mentions colony station. I believe the balance reason is that your opponent can simply attempt to retake the planet the next turn. Once a colony station is dead, that player is gone (motherships can't be "guarded", just colony ships). It could also be argued that an entire planet is too big for a single ship to "guard".

Quote:
2. Are buffs included in the damage count, or are they only used to determine the winner in the fight? Page 17 states "A single roll is defined as the number shown on the dice of one ship attacking." Page 12 states "The losing ship takes the total of the winning roll as damage."

Damage includes bonuses. Otherwise you couldn't use bonuses when determining the "winning roll" either. Though I admit this is confusing, and mentioned it in another topic. (The one exception is that the "fighter" portion of the winning roll, with fighter bonuses, cannot be used to reduce hull points, but does count towards winning the dogfight).

Quote:
3. Does the colony ship provide wingman bonuses to guarding ships?

No, since the Colony Station is specifically stated (page 15) as "not classified as s SHIP". Wingman bonuses only apply to ships. Also a pity since it would be awesome to use migration to move your Colony Station to a planet, then use "Planetary Laser Pointer" to destroy the planet as an example to others (which I know is stupid since it's friendly).

Quote:
4. How does combat work in team games? Can friendly ships controlled by different players on the same team attack together?

No, since different players act on separate turns and in a given turn you can only attack with your ships. They DO count as wingmen, since that includes "friendly" ships.

Quote:
5. I know that dark tech tree options should not be added together. My understanding was that this makes the math easier, since you don't have to add every time. However, some other tech bonuses in the same tree (Energy Boost and Energy Boost II) affect the same stat; should they be added? Does a player who takes Energy Boost and Energy Boost II get 6 total extra energy?

Yes. That is why there are 21 energy disks per player (when you only start with 15). The official app treats it this way as well.

Quote:
6. "Target the Women and Children" and "Advanced Engineering" are the two Support tech 3 choices. However, "Advanced Engineering" appears to be trivially a better choice. Is the idea that the tech 4 and 5 options make it worth it to take an inferior tech upgrade?

Yes, and since you can only choose 1 route, you can't reap the benefits of both. The bottom route appears to emphasize "stealth" attacks on colony ships by jumping between planets (to bypass enemy ships) and long range mothership attack. The top route boosts attack and movement to be more anti-ship.

Quote:
7. The rules state that all tech 5 upgrades replace the mothership's attack. However, for some of the upgrades, it's not exactly clear to me how this works:
7a. Repair Drones: "Repair your mothership 1HP every turn for each planet you control." The "every turn" language implies to me that you get the benefit even if your mothership attacked that turn.

Very good question. For balance purposes I feel it should be only if you don't attack or use another ability, but the wording is vague.

Quote:
7b. Solar Beam: "You can sacrifice 2HP for +8 on any mothership roll." Does this mean you get an attack immediately with +8, or that you have a +8 to use on some future roll? If the latter, can you bank multiple +8 buffs? Can you stack them on a single roll? Do you have to declare before rolling that you're using the +8, like with action cards?

This was (partially) answered in another topic. The +8 is for an attack that turn, and can't be saved up. All bonuses must be announced before rolling. I haven't been able to verify if it can be used in combination with other abilities (like "sunslayer" or "nuclear missiles", or if it's limited to normal attacks only).

Quote:
8. For the following cards, can you declare that you're using them AFTER you roll? The rule in the book states "You must declare (and reveal) all action cards before you roll (unless your card is to be used after a roll)." Backup Generator is the only card I've seen that explicitly says "After rolling do this..."
- Expansion Pak (doubles damage of a roll)
- Last Stand (destroy attacker when losing dogfight)
- The Forks (re-roll any one of your own dice throws)
- Life support (save a fighter or bomber from destruction when you lose)
- Ninja rope (move a ship two spaces after it attacks)

I interpret that rule to mean that Action cards affecting the roll (i.e. adding bonuses) must be played before rolling. Expansion Pak should be played before the roll. The others imply that you must have already rolled (The Forks), lost (Last Stand or Life Support; you can't tell if you've lost until after you've rolled), or attacked (Ninja Rope; this slightly conflicts with the "Movement cards must be played on ships that haven't attacked" rule, but typically specific card text overrules "normal" rules). Note that with The Forks, you don't get to use the original roll if your re-roll is worse (not likely to happen, but might if attempting to reroll for more damage).

Quote:
9. Is there a specific rule about what order players must play their action cards? For instance, I may want to hold onto my +4 shield card and wait to see if the other player has a Shield Breaker. Does one player have to declare "I am playing no cards" first? Can players always choose to respond to an opponent's action card with their own?

Page 17 implies that any order is possible. You can continue playing cards until you roll. Since both players should roll at the same time, it may be necessary to agree that both player are done playing action cards before rolling.

Quote:
9a. More generally, are action cards played "during" combat or "before" combat? Can I choose to buy tech or action cards in response to a defender's action card? Can I play "Pick Up Two Cards" in response to a defender's action card, and then play one of the new cards to buff my attack?

Per the rules, I would say you can play action cards and buy things at ANY time during your turn, until you roll. The exception would be you can't move another ship with a card once you've declared an attack (since each attack and move must be resolved before moving to the next), and you can't change which ships are attacking once you declare it (and if you don't declare, the defender should force you to before they start playing any action cards).

Quote:
10. Deflector shields reads "Enables one ship to pass through an asteroid field without taking damage." Can this be played after losing an asteroid fight?

I would say no, since making the roll implies that you didn't have the shields up, unlike Life Support which specifically SAYS after a loss.

Quote:
11. Can Life support be used to save a ship that would be destroyed by asteroids?

I would say yes since an asteroid roll is a "dogfight".

Quote:
12. Do cards that affect "any roll" (like The Forks or Backup Generator) be used on Replicator (roll a d4 and receive that many resources)?

I see no reason it shouldn't. Cards/techs referring to specific ship rolls (like "any mothership roll") would not.

Quote:
13. The rules specifically use Shield Breaker and Auxiliary Shield as examples of action card interaction and timing. However, Shield Breaker reads "*disable* an enemy shield for 1 turn." My interpretation would be that "disable" means that the ship cannot benefit from shields this turn, which would include the auxiliary. Is this the intended behavior?

This exact case is covered on page 17. If auxiliary is played first, the bonuses are lost as well. If played after, the mothership receives the 4 shields. Cards are implemented in the order they are played.

Quote:
14. How do I double these random event effects:
14a Offworld Trading: Do I get 2 resources for every two planets, or 1 resource for every 1 planet?

I would say +2 resources per two planets, since otherwise it would more than double the effect (if you had 3, 1/planet would give you +3 instead of +1).

Quote:
14b Solar Storm: Do I get +4 on mothership rolls for 1 round, or +2 for 2 rounds

I would say +4 for 1 round, though this could go either way.

Quote:
15. Is the random event action card the only way to trigger a random event?

Yes. Though it'd be an interesting house rule (roll once each round and it applies equally to everyone).

Quote:
16. Does the mothership use the lowest *revealed* value of a powered system, or the highest *covered* value?

Highest covered value. A track with no energy gets a 0 (0 shield, 0 move, 1d0 attack). This was covered elsewhere on the forum.

Quote:
17. While the rules explicitly state that the wingman rule does not affect asteroid fights, can action cards be played? If so, can action cards that refer to attacks be played, or only cards that refer to defense or any roll?

The asteroid roll is a dogfight, so any dogfight related cards should apply. Since it is your turn, you may play any card. I see no cards that apply only to "attacks" (vs dogfights).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sanderson
Australia
Melbourne, Aus
flag msg tools
designer
mb
David, you did an awesome job answering all these. You're correct for everything except for some stuff:

7, 7a - Yeah only one ability per turn...so for repair drones, you're allowed to repair it 1 HP every turn, but it is instead of attacking.

7b - You must attack to use this and you get to add it immediately. Because you can only use one ability per turn you can't combine it with Nuclear Missiles etc.

14b - It would double effect, not the duration. I might clarify this somewhere, i see the confusion now.

It might be a good idea to do a page on the website for rule FAQ's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I spotted a typo in the rulebook but thought I would add it here rather than star a new thread

Page 13 of the rules states motherships loses a dogfight it takes the attackers till as damage......but I assume if the attacking MS loses the dogfight it actually takes the opponents roll, not their own, as per the rules on page 14.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guy
England
Chorleywood
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also page 19 Planets states that buffs do not affect attacking and capturing planets. But the tech tree has specific buffs for both defending and attacking planets ......seems to be contradictory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Matty
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PlanBee wrote:
Also page 19 Planets states that buffs do not affect attacking and capturing planets. But the tech tree has specific buffs for both defending and attacking planets ......seems to be contradictory.

This confused us on our first play tonight also. How is the space walls applied? Planets get a base 6 and then add +3 or +7 if they are controlled by a player who has the tech for this?

We found a lot of confusing rules.

The first one:

fighter attacks a bomber but loses on the attack role. Does the fighter get blown up? How is that possible if the bomber cannot attack fighters?

Our group had a very strange game and the dice rolled low all evening. I'll do a chi square test on them sometime. It's amazing how seldom random dice actually come out of any board game maker these days. I end up chucking them over 80% of the time because they don't roll random. Seems to be the case with these.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Matty
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bluebright wrote:
David, you did an awesome job answering all these. You're correct for everything except for some stuff:

7, 7a - Yeah only one ability per turn...so for repair drones, you're allowed to repair it 1 HP every turn, but it is instead of attacking.

7b - You must attack to use this and you get to add it immediately. Because you can only use one ability per turn you can't combine it with Nuclear Missiles etc.

14b - It would double effect, not the duration. I might clarify this somewhere, i see the confusion now.

So damage done does include the buffs? This is confusing because as written we played that only the rolled numbers counted for damage while the buffs were considered for attack and defense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommatty wrote:
So damage done does include the buffs? This is confusing because as written we played that only the rolled numbers counted for damage while the buffs were considered for attack and defense.

Yes, all buffs should be applied. The key wording is on Pg 12: "the ship with the highest total roll is the winner", and "The losing ship takes the total of the winning roll as damage"
I know that this slightly conflicts with the definition of "roll" on Pg 17, but it makes no sense to interpret "total roll is the winner" as different from "total of winning roll".

The only case that "total roll" is different for comparison vs damage seems to be if attacking a Mothership with a fighter and bomber. If the fighter (with bonuses) rolls more damage than the Mothership has shields, it still contributes to deciding the winner but does not contribute to hull damage. It's still unknown as to whether a fighter can contribute in an attack against a Mothership with no shields. Thematically it might make sense, since any fighters flying around are helping draw fire away from bombers, but it could be interpreted both ways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Matty
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
tommatty wrote:
bluebright wrote:

Hmmmmmm including buffs in damage is a game changer considering how our game play went. Two bombers with the +3 each on the tech tree could take out even a well shielded MS with one attack even if it was well shielded.

We may stick to our current okay of only counting the die total.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommatty wrote:
Hmmmmmm including buffs in damage is a game changer considering how our game play went. Two bombers with the +3 each on the tech tree could take out even a well shielded MS with one attack even if it was well shielded.

If you want to house rule it, you can, but you'd really break the game balance. You're right that two fully upgraded bombers with max die rolls can do a ton of damage, which is kinda the point, since they're the only thing that can kill a mothership (other than another mothership). On a low roll, however, you'd loose both bombers.

Even taking into account bonuses, a lone fully upgraded bomber (max damage 11) can't damage the hull of a fully shielded mothership. If you don't factor in bonuses to damage, a bomber + fighter (max 14) could do at most 2 hull damage to a mothership (meaning it would take a minimum of 6 max roll attacks to kill one), so you'd effectively require attacks with 2 bombers to do any appreciable damage. That is not the intent, since you only start with 2 bombers that are relatively easy to kill.

This is why you need fighters to kill the bombers before they get to your mothership or colony station. A mothership without fighter support against multiple fully upgraded bombers deserves to die.

Remember, the rock paper scissors is most effectively: fighter > bomber > mothership > fighter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Tomball
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommatty wrote:

Another example: the +8 for Solar Beam is intended to be a game changer, comparable to other 5th level upgrades such as the ones that let you attack any hex on the board from any other hex. If the +8 only applied to winning a roll, it's not really comparable. The key is that it does extra damage (making it very powerful from close up...or maybe even far away if you have multiple 5th level upgrades).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.