Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Herron
Canada
Dollard des Ormeaux (Montreal)
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter (15) and I played our second game tonight. Vampire and Jungle Theme. It was even more enjoyable than the first. I got beaten again!(83-69). To be honest, wining or losing doesn't matter, it's just a very fun game to play.

I can't wait to try a four player game (and still lose).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Photos?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Herron
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's some photos of last night's game.

I'll have to remember to take some pics during the game in the future
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Pessano
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ratovan wrote:
My daughter (15) and I played our second game tonight. Vampire and Jungle Theme. It was even more enjoyable than the first. I got beaten again!(83-69). To be honest, wining or losing doesn't matter, it's just a very fun game to play.

I can't wait to try a four player game (and still lose).

I am curious, did you feel the "gotcha" aspect of the game is too over powered or too much randomness?

I saw a review by Tom V and he wasn't impressed by the game.

Thx
jonpfl
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Herron
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonpfl wrote:

I am curious, did you feel the "gotcha" aspect of the game is too over powered or too much randomness?

I saw a review by Tom V and he wasn't impressed by the game.

Thx
jonpfl

Not at all. The gotcha is part of the attraction (no pun intended). My daughter and I went back and forth stealing staff, closing each other's rides and destroying upgrades. It made the game more fun. Without those aspects its another "Race for the Galaxy" type game where you do your own thing and count the points at the end. (by the way I also really enjoy RftG)

I stole a staff member from her, she played Instant Karma and immediately stole it back. She knew I had an event to destroy a theme upgrade and she purposely waited until the last round to play one so I couldn't destroy it.

I really didn't feel there was any randomness in the game. I felt I always had plenty of decisions to make (some were good, some were not so good, but they were MY decisions).

As for Tom V's review, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but its like saying I played Pandemic and didn't like it because the diseases in the game make it really tough to win.

The game is called UNFAIR after all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Herron
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd play tonight.

We're definitely getting a better understanding of how to play this game.

I backed the kickstarter solely based on what was published on the campaign page. I didn't use the PnP beforehand, so my daughter and I are really learning the game as we play it now.

We both went for blueprints this time and it changed how I played the game. In previous games I tended to hang on to cards I thought were "cool" or might be good later in the hopes I could eventually play them . This game, cards I couldn't immediately use got dumped to draw 5 park cards in order to find the cards I required for my blueprints. It came down to the wire. The last turn I had just enough coins and actions left to complete my two blueprints. No cards left in my hand and no money left before the guest step.

Every game so far has felt completely different from the last.

This has very quickly become our favourite game.

oh, and for those not sure about the theme, how cool is this attention to detail.

One of the flagpoles from the Pirate theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Wow you sure came up with some good photos! Thanks Scott.

Sounds like a perfectly tight game. So many are - you don't want to waste a single thing right?

Glad you and your daughter are enjoying the game 2 players so much. It was certainly designed for some intense replayability.

Favourite game is a big call. Respect.

I know a designer who will be very happy when he sees this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArcanumTL ArcanumTL
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just our first play through last night using the First Date game changer card which shorten ours to 6 rounds and easier blueprints. We had a blast and will run through again! Artwork is amazing and funny card text make it fun.

Curious - how did you find the scoring? E.g. what were average scores? I squeaked by for a win in our 4 player game (74, 68, 64 and 48).

Any others with scoring history - just curious to see what is "good" score?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Herron
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcanumTL wrote:
Any others with scoring history - just curious to see what is "good" score?

5 games so far.
62-53 (2 player)
83-76 (2 player)
97-74 (2 player)
106-84-67 (3 player)
130-75 (2 player)got my 1st 10 icon attraction (55 pts) which really helped the score.

of course I'm not saying these are good scores, just my scores

Since the 3rd game we've been using the tokens to select the theme packs. We still haven't played Gangster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scores vary with number of players and packs used. In a 4 player game we genrerally see scores in the 100-150 range and the winner often in 140+
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After 5 games...
Top Score 168
Average winning score 149
Average score 132
Lowest score 81
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Martell
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Playing with Gangster with people who are less likely to play the unfair side of the event card over getting the benefit of the top half, scores of 200+ aren't that uncommon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.