Popular Tags: [View All]
Quiarcus
China
Beijing
北京
flag msg tools
mb
SFG hit a century for updates, posting for those who are interested:

Parts are Landing - Manufacturing Partner Visit Report!

Hey unkindled,

We have just arrived back from our European manufacturing partner's headquarters to help ensure the smooth process of assembly then sending to our shipping hubs of the core game.

Part of the factory, its HUGE! Can you spot the Dark Souls items?

20,000 sets of miniatures had already arrived at the factory last week, with the rest due next week. Assembly is scheduled for 2 weeks time. Its so close now its still a little unreal for us as a team - we cannot wait until everyone has their core sets!

Initial board prints (4 of) before cutting happens

All your praising of the boat clearly has paid off - lets hope the final parts all arrive safely so the last stages of this project for the core set go smoothly!

Meanwhile...back at Steamforged HQ

Work doesn't stop on Dark Souls - we are currently deep in development of all the expansions - although we have managed to sneak a few images out of the office...more to follow in future updates!

Mistakes were made.

Paladin Leeroy invading a board near you soon.

The demon responsible for a lot of 'You Died' messages...

...We also managed to finally get an image of one a lot of people have been waiting for:

Praise The Sun! \[T]/

Praise The Sun! \[T]/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff ...
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the player mats look to be made of board stock (or whatever you call it) as opposed to card stock. Something I'll appreciate. I always disliked CMoN's thin hero sheet card stock.

Finally something good to say here .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I continue to watch this project in equal parts reservation and excitement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:

As I mentioned before, it's a least going to give me some painting training before I receive Kingdom Death: Monster.

I'm happy either way
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if looks like they're on track for an April delivery to the first backers. That's good news.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Becker
Germany
Saarland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also just as a quick addition:

SFG confirmed that there will be holes for the cubes to sit in.
The reason you can't see the spaces for the cubes to sit in is because they haven't been cut yet. All the cutting is done at the same time, by one tool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Razoupaf wrote:
UnlivedPhalanx wrote:

As I mentioned before, it's a least going to give me some painting training before I receive Kingdom Death: Monster.

I'm happy either way

Can you imagine if Poots was signed up to do Dark Souls? It'd end up costing an arm and 2 legs probably but boy would it drip with atmosphere... and dismemberment likely.

I bet he'd nail Miyazaki's vision of "unforgiving but rewarding" design ethos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
icelt wrote:
Can you imagine if Poots was signed up to do Dark Souls? It'd end up costing an arm and 2 legs probably but boy would it drip with atmosphere... and dismemberment likely.

I bet he'd nail Miyazaki's vision of "unforgiving but rewarding" design ethos.

Sure, he'd nail Miyazaki's vision, but it'd just be KD:M without the Settlement phase.

I think the extraordinary vision Poots has when it comes to creating games is a bit too complex for an IP like Dark Souls. Let's face it: Dark Souls is hard, but pretty straightforward.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepsi Twist
England
flag msg tools
Im not really sure what's complex or extraordinary about KDM compared to Dark souls, but I'd initially backed KDM in the hopes that it would be a Dark souls kind of experience, but unbacked because it's a bunch of random rolls, and while DS is punishing, it isn't unfair like KDM looks to be (not that I'm expecting this game to provide much of a DS experience, but I'm happy enough with a Dungeon crawl with cool minis)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
PepsiTwist wrote:
Im not really sure what's complex or extraordinary about KDM compared to Dark souls, but I'd initially backed KDM in the hopes that it would be a Dark souls kind of experience, but unbacked because it's a bunch of random rolls, and while DS is punishing, it isn't unfair like KDM looks to be (not that I'm expecting this game to provide much of a DS experience, but I'm happy enough with a Dungeon crawl with cool minis)

And, with DS, you'll be able to play the game out of the box, not assemble and paint the mini's then play the game a year later (or five years, given my paint queue. Ten???). Anyway, the DS miniatures aren't trivial to paint, either. Pick up the Reaper Learn to Paint Kits. First one includes armor, second flesh. You can find them on Amazon at a discount.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PepsiTwist wrote:

I'll tell you when I've tried both, as I backed both but I'd say KD:M is a wee bit more than just rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PepsiTwist wrote:

The fights aren't the main goal in KD:M, which is why the game allows for "you rolled bad and now your head explodes" types of RNG.

Apart from the dark fantasy setting with brutal combat, both games have nothing in common.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arg, all the images are too blurry and low res to see the most important part. What's the playtime? The playtime makes or breaks this game to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepsi Twist
England
flag msg tools
Razoupaf wrote:
PepsiTwist wrote:

I'll tell you when I've tried both, as I backed both but I'd say KD:M is a wee bit more than just rolls.

I didn't mean that it's JUST rolls, but a big part of Dark souls' appeal is the lack of randomness, while in KDM that's a major factor. I'm sure the game is great, it just doesn't have that aspect of 'punishing but fair' that I was looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PepsiTwist wrote:
I didn't mean that it's JUST rolls, but a big part of Dark souls' appeal is the lack of randomness, while in KDM that's a major factor. I'm sure the game is great, it just doesn't have that aspect of 'punishing but fair' that I was looking for

While I can understand your point, since KD:M has layers upon layers of RNG, any game that has dice as a part of its combat will have severe RNG. Even your 4-dodge assassin could roll 0 on a 1 dodge attack and get smashed. Odds are low, but it'll be equally frustrating as rolling a 1 on a severe injury in KDM, I wager.

I've yet to play a dice game where people aren't saved and destroyed by sheer lucky and unlucky rolls. If you're hoping Dark Souls won't have this random nature, I sincerely hope for your game enjoyment that I'm horribly wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vinceness wrote:
PepsiTwist wrote:

While I can understand your point, since KD:M has layers upon layers of RNG, any game that has dice as a part of its combat will have severe RNG. Even your 4-dodge assassin could roll 0 on a 1 dodge attack and get smashed. Odds are low, but it'll be equally frustrating as rolling a 1 on a severe injury in KDM, I wager.

I've yet to play a dice game where people aren't saved and destroyed by sheer lucky and unlucky rolls. If you're hoping Dark Souls won't have this random nature, I sincerely hope for your game enjoyment that I'm horribly wrong.

You WILL suffer from randomness from both the dice and the cards. You'll know at one point which cards you'll face and when if you survive the first deck, but then it all goes to waste as the boss heats up and randomizes its deck again.
I can't see this being that different from KD:M honestly, in terms of being at the mercy of randomness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepsi Twist
England
flag msg tools
I'm not expecting this game to be a particularly good representation of the video game, I'm just happy with a Dark souls themed dungeon crawl for this price. Maybe I got some lines crossed since I guess I'm referring to both this game and tb video game as Dark souls!
I was just commenting that KD:M, initially being my best hope for a Dark Souls experience in board game form, is too much about random numbers to represent that, and that I don't really understand how KD:M is complex or visionary compared to the Dark souls property.
I'm sure KD:M fun game, but they do seem fairly similar so I'd rather have my random numbers kill my guys off in a single session rather than invest a bunch of time and effort into a campaign only to randomly roll 'oops your favourite guy died'!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince De Zutter
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PepsiTwist wrote:
I'm sure KD:M fun game, but they do seem fairly similar so I'd rather have my random numbers kill my guys off in a single session rather than invest a bunch of time and effort into a campaign only to randomly roll 'oops your favourite guy died'!

As mentioned many, many times on these forums, KD:M and Dark Souls have nothing in common apart from a dark fantasy setting with punishing combat. The combat isn't even the main goal in KD:M since there's very little downsides to losing a battle apart from losing four survivors. It's about building your settlement as efficiently as possible, and watching your settlement progress through victory and defeat.

Dark Souls is just a dungeon crawler with a boss at the end. Has no settlement building, no real choices, no bad or good events that can happen to you, ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.