Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Rising Sun» Forums » General

Subject: Am I Missing Something? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
I've watched all the videos, read the FAQ, and heard comparisons to diplomacy, but I still do not understand how the game plays.

Based on the game play video, it looks like a victory point track. Is this true?

Do we know how many rounds or what happens in each round?

When is an alliance created or broken? When are monsters brought onto the field of battle and can you have multiple?

I read in the FAQ that the rule book should be coming out soon, but I need something more about the gameplay before I decide to back the kickstarter.

I'm not trolling. I'm just curious if I missed some information somewhere

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have missed nothing. Very little is known about this game. But it has minis and hype, so you would be a fool not to back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Enns
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not at $160 Canadian
No thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I simply trust that Eric made a great game. CMON's game play videos are atrocious, I had no idea how Blood Rage played when I backed it and the game is in my top 10. I can see the framework of how it plays if not the details and I can tell it's going to be solid. Couple that with CMON's reputation as a top components publisher and you have an experience worth backing.

Besides, this thing will rake in the second hand market if you don't like it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris C
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
syliconslycer wrote:
Not at $160 Canadian
No thank you

You can always do what I did with Blood Rage - back on KS, sell KS exclusives for $$$, essentially get base game for free. I enjoy Blood Rage but the exclusives were not really necessary and paid for the base game and a few other new games. With the number of backers for Rising Sun, I can't see the exclusives going for as much as the Blood Rage ones but who knows.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Although I really want to play Blood Rage (not sure if my group would like), I've never played any Eric Lang games so that is not the biggest selling point for me.

I'm indifferent towards minis. They are just plastic that make the box heavier to be honest.

Also, I'm not into gaming to turn a profit so I don't really care about the secondary market.

I just want to know what the rules and gameplay are to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cat_Librarian wrote:

I read in the FAQ that the rule book should be coming out soon, but I need something more about the gameplay before I decide to back the kickstarter.
I'm confused. It seems the rulebook will be posted soon, and also a more complete gameplay video. What else would you need?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat_Librarian wrote:

The rules will probably be up in about two weeks. Check back then and see what you think!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hortness
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I see a game come out of nowhere and shoot straight to the top of the Hotness list I know three things with absolute certainty.

1) The game is on kickstarter
2) It has cool looking minis
3) It may or may not be a good game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Espinoza wrote:
Cat_Librarian wrote:

I'm confused. It seems the rulebook will be posted soon, and also a more complete gameplay video. What else would you need?

I didn't see anything else about an additional gameplay video coming out. Maybe it is coming out throughout the campaign?

I guess I'm just surprised that there is so little actual info about the game play out yet. Maybe I'm just a neophyte to board game kickstarters and this is the norm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat_Librarian wrote:
Espinoza wrote:
Cat_Librarian wrote:

I didn't see anything else about an additional gameplay video coming out. Maybe it is coming out throughout the campaign?

I guess I'm just surprised that there is so little actual info about the game play out yet. Maybe I'm just a neophyte to board game kickstarters and this is the norm.

The web site has overviews of the game, the diplomacy aspect, and combat.

http://cmon.com/news/rising-sun-game-overview
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Reynolds
United States
Vermontville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the information you want is in the gameplay video. The game plays over four rounds, called seasons. The video covers one full season.

You make alliances during the phase called the tea ceremony at the beginning of each season. This frankly seems to be where much of the Diplomacy influence comes in. You can make your case for why an alliance would be mutually beneficial for you and another player, or why other players shouldn't form alliances, etc.

The bulk of each season is spent in the political phase, where players take turns playing political mandates, which let them do things like bring units onto the board, move units around, purchase strongholds, monsters and upgrades, and harvest provinces you control to gain different rewards. This is also when you break alliances by playing the Betrayal mandate.

Finally, each season ends with the war phase, where each province with opposing units must battle it out until only one player (or a player and their ally) is left.

Anyway, that's what I've pieced together from the information available. I'm sure there will be more to learn from the rulebook but hopefully it gives you an idea of whether or not you want the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dzug wrote:
syliconslycer wrote:
Not at $160 Canadian
No thank you

You can always do what I did with Blood Rage - back on KS, sell KS exclusives for $$$, essentially get base game for free. I enjoy Blood Rage but the exclusives were not really necessary and paid for the base game and a few other new games. With the number of backers for Rising Sun, I can't see the exclusives going for as much as the Blood Rage ones but who knows.

I pledged for 2 games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
Cat_Librarian wrote:
Espinoza wrote:
Cat_Librarian wrote:

The web site has overviews of the game, the diplomacy aspect, and combat.

http://cmon.com/news/rising-sun-game-overview

Thank you! I missed this website. I guess I learn better when I can actual read gameplay than watch
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pkreynolds wrote:
A lot of the information you want is in the gameplay video. The game plays over four rounds, called seasons. The video covers one full season.

You make alliances during the phase called the tea ceremony at the beginning of each season. This frankly seems to be where much of the Diplomacy influence comes in. You can make your case for why an alliance would be mutually beneficial for you and another player, or why other players shouldn't form alliances, etc.

The bulk of each season is spent in the political phase, where players take turns playing political mandates, which let them do things like bring units onto the board, move units around, purchase strongholds, monsters and upgrades, and harvest provinces you control to gain different rewards. This is also when you break alliances by playing the Betrayal mandate.

Finally, each season ends with the war phase, where each province with opposing units must battle it out until only one player (or a player and their ally) is left.

Anyway, that's what I've pieced together from the information available. I'm sure there will be more to learn from the rulebook but hopefully it gives you an idea of whether or not you want the game.

Thank you for this! It was very helpful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dude Dudeston
msg tools
pkreynolds wrote:

A few more notes:

There are only seven slots on the board for chosen political mandates. This is important because it means not all players will get to play an equal number in a season, which means having high honor to go first will be even more important.

During the political phase, it pays to have an alliance. One player will select a mandate and all players may do that action, but the player and their ally get a small bonus action.

There are also the god phases between some of the mandates when players can get extra bonuses if they have more force with the gods in the heavens.

Also, there are only three seasons. The game ends "as the first snow falls".

I feel like at this point I almost know enough to write the rulebook myself. I've been pretty obsessive about reading stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ND3G wrote:
Whenever I see a game come out of nowhere and shoot straight to the top of the Hotness list I know three things with absolute certainty.

1) The game is on kickstarter
2) It has cool looking minis
3) It may or may not be a good game

Really going out on a limb with that last one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
To be honest, I simply trust that Eric made a great game. CMON's game play videos are atrocious, I had no idea how Blood Rage played when I backed it and the game is in my top 10. I can see the framework of how it plays if not the details and I can tell it's going to be solid. Couple that with CMON's reputation as a top components publisher and you have an experience worth backing.

Besides, this thing will rake in the second hand market if you don't like it...

I wasn't blown away by Blood Rage the way some were, so I don't assume anything in terms of game play. Still, the miniatures are bad ass (like Blood Rage) and probably worth $100 by themselves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't think you'll play the game often, and won't have more players than the base game number, then you might wait for retail for reviews and lower prices. Most CMON base games sell less for the pledges (and the OLGS often has free shipping), although you'll be missing out on the SG's. Many of the SG's are just component upgrades.

Blood Rage is already on the market, so you can buy that now and wait for RS to hit retail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fiona Furlong
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
As some one said earlier, the game lasts over four "seasons" (rounds), divided into three phases, the Tea Ceremony (making alliances), what ever the card phase is being called (each player plays a card in turn order from the character with the highest honor, this repeats until seven cards have been played) and then warfare phase, in which contested zones are fought for; there seems to be an order to go through during this phase, but not sure if its locked in or not.

The cards phase is also split up between the kami sub phases, in which the player with the most priests praying to a god giving extra rewards, which can include a jump in honor, a free bushi (basic unit), a free card from the Training cards (monsters and futher variable powers beyond the clans base), and money; there are three other kami aside from those, one of which looks like it gives you a Ronin (Hachiman) as well as a free movement (guess based on the horses) on Raijin. We don't know the seventh god.

In the last phase, you are able to determine how your fights go by way of most power in the provinces and how you spend your ronin and gold to choose how you prep for the fight with the blind bidding mechanic, in which you can: commit sepuku, gaining honor through sacrifice, taking an enemy hostage to remove them from the field, hiring ronin (your ronin count as extra power in the fight), and hiring an imperial poet who gives you points based on how many people died.

As to the role Diplomacy played in the game, it sounds like Lang moved away from it at some point (based on one oof the dev articles on CMON's site), but kept some aspects in the forming of "official" (as opposed to ones that go some thing like "if you go this way and leave x alone, i wont do y" via table talk) alliances, which can be broken at a moments notice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kissell
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:

It appears that you draw a hand of mandate cards, and must play from them. It also appears that you get a bonus from your "Allies" when they play a mandate.

Combat is based on a hidden bidding system. You allocate money to kill your units for honor, hire mercenaries, etc. The lost gets the money from the winner.

The combat system seems similar to Cry Havoc, but is blind bidding.

EDIT: Also, from another post, there are 21 actions in the game, regardless of the number of players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think after looking at everything on the KS now that the game has more in common with CiTOW than anything else he has done. It's like a more advanced and deeper version of that classic game of his.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ignazio Corrao
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pkreynolds wrote:

I believe that is not correct. Battle areas are determined in advance by laying down number of players+2 cards. So 4 players (as in the video) always fight 6 battles per season, and winner keeps the area card, which will probably be counted for scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cat_Librarian wrote:
Although I really want to play Blood Rage (not sure if my group would like), I've never played any Eric Lang games so that is not the biggest selling point for me.

I'm indifferent towards minis. They are just plastic that make the box heavier to be honest.

Also, I'm not into gaming to turn a profit so I don't really care about the secondary market.

Common sense...who knew it still existed in today's KS craze. People back anything and everything these days for fear of a perceived "missing out". Makes CMoN and credit card companies a boatload of cash I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zoltán Dudás
Hungary
flag msg tools
ND3G wrote:
Whenever I see a game come out of nowhere and shoot straight to the top of the Hotness list

Except that it was in the top 5 since a week prior to KS launch and in the top 20 for the last 2 months. But hey, we can go with "out of nowhere"..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.