BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Why do people play Marvel Dice Masters!?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Wade
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
I'm wondering if I'm playing the game incorrectly, because as of right now I don't understand for the life of me why people play this! My games last literally 4 minutes each...

So if I start drawing character dice on my third turn after the first "shuffle", let's say I draw 3 sidekick die and one Iron Man die and then field the sidekick die and use 2 energy I rolled to field the Iron Man die.

Now I attack, but if my opponent has no characters to block with in their field, My Iron Man and sidekick die just do 7 damage to my opponent!?! And then next turn I draw my other character die, field it and another sidekick and then I attack and the game is over!

Am I playing correctly? Because if you can just attack when there's no die in your opponents field, this game lasts literally 4 minutes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Tompkins
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Never go in against a Sicilian when DEATH is on the line!
badge
You know what would be funny...
mbmbmbmbmb
You might have better luck asking in the specific forum for Dice Masters - although the people more likely to see it are the fans of it, so you may endure some fandom love defending their favorite game!

Dice Masters: Avengers vs Ultron, for example -- but you can find a forum for each variation of Dice Masters version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a huge fan of it either, but did buy a few sets for me and my sons. If your opponent had fielded a few dice that wouldn't have happened. All the time you took to get enough power to buy Iron Man I would have been jabbing you a little or at least fielding my dice as defenders. Nothing is hidden. If I saw all of your characters were expensive I would have known you weren't going to field anything for a while. A good mix of abilities in my cards would have easily put up a fight against you. Then again, sometimes you get lucky!

What I didn't like about the game were the rules for special abilities. When characters started having capture and control abilities and they weren't really explained well in the rules... that's when we kinda gave up with the game. Maybe we'll pull it out again this weekend.

Good luck,

-m

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jewade20 wrote:
I'm wondering if I'm playing the game incorrectly, because as of right now I don't understand for the life of me why people play this! My games last literally 4 minutes each...

So if I start drawing character dice on my third turn after the first "shuffle", let's say I draw 3 sidekick die and one Iron Man die and then field the sidekick die and use 2 energy I rolled to field the Iron Man die.

Now I attack, but if my opponent has no characters to block with in their field, My Iron Man and sidekick die just do 7 damage to my opponent!?! And then next turn I draw my other character die, field it and another sidekick and then I attack and the game is over!

Am I playing correctly? Because if you can just attack when there's no die in your opponents field, this game lasts literally 4 minutes!

Not a massive collector, but a friend and I have dabbled a bit. You simply can't risk not having anything fielded in this game. Since a 1 defence Sidekick can absorb infinite damage from 1 dice (unless you have the action die that carries over damage to the player). If you haven't got a sidekick out in the first 2 turns of the game, you're asking for trouble, or taking a big risk. Although there is tactics to that. I've let an opponent 'wear me down' to 5 health in a game while I built up the right dice in my bag, then after that, my opponent couldn't touch me thanks to the dice I fielded and I took him out in 3 attacks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B K
United States
flag msg tools
I am not going to try to argue the game is a pinnacle of game design, but I have played a lot and what you describe should not happen. Something you or your opponent are doing is wrong (either rules or tactically). I interpret that you buy two iron man die on your first two turns, and nothing else. Even if you draw it separately as discussed in the 3rd and 4th round, you have to actually roll the 6 attack side twice. Obviously can happen, so then if you attack with it and 1 sidekick that is a total of 14 damage if unblocked, not 20. All of this is possible though. Where it becomes completely improbable, is what has your opponent done for 4 turns. Are you saying with rerolls, he never rolled a sidekick in any of those turns. If he did and attacked, knowing you had those dice, well this is not a design flaw, but the bad play of an extremely inexperienced player. There are reasons to attack with sidekicks, but holding them for blocking is often the correct approach and clearly in the case you described.

If he held two sidekicks, he could block both or just let one go. In that case, he would still have a blocker in reserve, your dice would both be spent and he would roll with 5 dice on the next turn with increased chance at a premium die, while taking only 7 damage. He would have bought 4 die in 4 rounds and you would have only 2, both setting in the spent pile. Very easy to come back from 20/13 in that case, assuming he is buying good die.

It's very difficult to assess why you think something is wrong without knowing what your opponent did in his 4 turns.

jewade20 wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And if the OP is doing all that attacking, he is not leaving any blockers in his own zone, leaving himself vulnerable to attack as well .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
Waves broke in swift lines on the beach, and she walked over the sand toward her friends, in the wind, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars, on Mars
mbmbmbmbmb
yeah, you need to leave sidekicks in your field so they stay out of your bag and they can chump block. Then they get KOd which allows them to be added to future rolls. The game isn't the deepest thing ever but it definitely isn't broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.