Ben Mora
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb


Hello all! I am working on releasing my game, Wages of War, soon.
Here's what I'm thinking for my thumbnail image. I'd love to know your thoughts, criticisms, and feedback. Does it look attractive? Does it need to communicate more?
If I do free shipping, should that be communicated on the image and/or the description?

To see the project video and more info about the game, go to signup.moragames.com
If it was a game using sculpted minis I would obviously picture them, but since it's not, is there something I'm not aware of that would be good to do different than just the game title?

Thanks for your feedback!
-Ben Mora
Mora Games

EDIT: See the current state of these images here: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/25348872#25348872
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, looking at just the pic and name my first reaction is that this is some kind of micro-transaction based mobile game.

Since you have no minis to show is there *something* from the game you can show?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweetgotham
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
I saw pale kings and princes too, Pale warriors, death-pale were they all; They cried—‘La Belle Dame sans Merci Hath thee in thrall!’
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb


Reading 'unique twist' would personally turn me off; so many times phrases like that are tossed into the offering but don't actually deliver.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mora
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
cferejohn wrote:
Well, looking at just the pic and name my first reaction is that this is some kind of micro-transaction based mobile game.

Since you have no minis to show is there *something* from the game you can show?


I'm glad you mentioned that. I can see that. Hmm. I'll be thinking about that one. Since it's more of a eurogame, the most eye catching components are the tiles. I'll fiddle with it. Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mora
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
sweetgotham wrote:


Reading 'unique twist' would personally turn me off; so many times phrases like that are tossed into the offering but don't actually deliver.


Good to know. I appreciate knowing that. Basically I am trying to communicate that it is like a worker placement game, but not exactly. I've been calling it "reverse worker placement" or "worker selection" but I am not aware that those are common terms, which is why I didn't just say "A reverse worker placement game...", but perhaps that's not so bad, and is intriguing enough without the "unique twist" part.
Would you suggest I say something like, "A reverse-worker-placement game of medieval siege warfare!..." ??

Thanks for you suggestions and help!
-Ben
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think I have to agree with John about it looking like a Ios app, maybe a group of soldiers or war machines attacking the castle? Also, I am not 100% sold on the name, maybe it's the sub name: "the uncooperative siege game".

However, I really like the look of the board and the mechanics of the game, and the components look nice if that is how it will look when it is done.

In fact after I watched the video I like the idea of playing it, I even signed up to win a copy.

I wish you much success in your journey to get it in to production.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mora
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
TheSpiceOfLife wrote:
I think I have to agree with John about it looking like a Ios app, maybe a group of soldiers or war machines attacking the castle? Also, I am not 100% sold on the name, maybe it's the sub name: "the uncooperative siege game".

However, I really like the look of the board and the mechanics of the game, and the components look nice if that is how it will look when it is done.

In fact after I watched the video I like the idea of playing it, I even signed up to win a copy.

I wish you much success in your journey to get it in to production.


Thank you so much for the advice, for signing up, and for your kind words!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
Seeing even just a small thumbnail of the components lets me get a feel for what kind of game it is, and helps immensely.

Only other thing I can think of is I usually find character artwork more enticing than, say, that sword. If you don't have any in the game, the sword works fine.

Edit: Watched the video, it's really good!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mora
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
smackwell wrote:
Seeing even just a small thumbnail of the components lets me get a feel for what kind of game it is, and helps immensely.

Only other thing I can think of is I usually find character artwork more enticing than, say, that sword. If you don't have any in the game, the sword works fine.

Edit: Watched the video, it's really good!


Thanks, Alex, for your feedback and for the compliment on the video!

As you saw from the video, the type of game is more like a euro game and there isn't anything that warrants any character art. Perhaps instead of showing the sword I should show the tile that features the sword art as well as other weapon tiles. Thoughts?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Just my 2 cents:

the video is very clear and interesting, good job

Regarding the logo, I don't like too much the position and color choice of the "free shipping" sentence. It seems to me like an old 80s advertising.

A medieval object to use as a "text container" may be a good choice since it's more related with the setting (a scroll? something wooden? a shield?).

In any case good luck for your project, it looks promising
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mora
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
After reading everyone's feedback and talking with some others, I decided to remove the text from the image with the exception of the title.

I still am not convinced that the sword needs to go, because without it you wouldn't really have an immediate idea what the game is about.

Click the images to see the large full size view.




What do you think looks better? 35mm view (left) or 19mm view (right)? (I'm referring to the way the perspective on the board and components is different between the two.)

To entertain the idea of using more components and not the sword...




Again, left or right? Sword or tiles?

OR if you think this is just not a good direction, let me know. Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alex bermudez
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmb
I kinda like the look of the right field of view, but it ends up shrinking the rear components too much, making the left the better choice.

I think the sword is fine, but with the game components there, they add more color and makes it pop more, to me. Whereas the sword simply says "fantasy battle game", the components say the same thing but show off a little bit more. It says fantasy, it says large-scale battle with melee, range, and siege weapons. So my pick would be the third image.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My 2¢ is right oops I mean my other right, you know what y'all call left and the sword.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emanuele Buffagni
Italy
Modena
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Bottom left (no sword, 35mm view) is good. thumbsup

The sword is...well it's a nice element but it really doesn't show us anything about your game.

I think backer may be more interested in game components!
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mora
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
ChaosGate wrote:
Bottom left (no sword, 35mm view) is good. thumbsup

The sword is...well it's a nice element but it really doesn't show us anything about your game.

I think backer may be more interested in game components!


Thanks! I am leaning in that direction.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bos
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
After watching the video, I really like how the name sits on the parchment, with the sword, shield and axe. Could you have this in the top left, and the game components down to the right - and just leave off the tiles/weapons currently at the right?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riccardo Previdi
Italy
Goito
Mantova
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ChaosGate wrote:
Bottom left (no sword, 35mm view) is good. thumbsup

The sword is...well it's a nice element but it really doesn't show us anything about your game.

I think backer may be more interested in game components!


thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Lund
American Samoa
Ontonagon
Michigan
msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When is this game coming out in Kickstarter?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Mora
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Hicitup wrote:
When is this game coming out in Kickstarter?


I'm glad you asked! I just launched it this morning! http://kck.st/2nAUaKh

I actually had it on my list to notify you specifically via PM, among a handful of others.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.