Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Letters from Whitechapel» Forums » Rules

Subject: HELP: Clue on hideout location -- does not trigger end of game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]

Orlando
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all, just had round two resolve in a very awkward way. Jack ran a circle around the block and in that ring around the rose the used his "taxi" special token to run through his hideout. I got a clue marker on the hideout, and more clue markers as I chased him in this circle, which led to him eventually running back to his hideout and declaring his turn over. We had to end the game early tonight and he shared with me how this happened, and I am not a sore loser but I wonder can jack do this?

After getting a clue token on a space I almost automatically assume it is not the hideout, am I just playing it wrong? I don't know how I could have ever deduced his hideout location in this scenario, and it seems kind of game breaking to just surround the hideout in clues from all angles so it's impossible to discern where the trail ends.

Maybe I just need to learn to adapt?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You can't handle the truth?
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack doesn't even have to use a taxi. He could just walk onto his hideout, and not end the night, and keep on laying a false trail.

From the rules:
"If Jack moves onto his Hideout, he may declare that his escape was successful, and the current Night’s Hunting ends."

So, what your Jack did was totally legit, and you do need to adapt.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jack can not use special moves to enter his hideout, he should enter his hideout by using a regular move action, but he can run in circles, backtrack and mislead the investigators however he wishes as long as all the moves he make are legal.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
Inkwell84 wrote:
After getting a clue token on a space I almost automatically assume it is not the hideout, am I just playing it wrong? I don't know how I could have ever deduced his hideout location in this scenario, and it seems kind of game breaking to just surround the hideout in clues from all angles so it's impossible to discern where the trail ends.


You don't need to deduce the exact hideout to win the game and having Jack surround his hideout in clue tokens should help the officers immensely. You can set up a net of officer in the area and either prevent him from getting home (win) or make it nearly impossible for Jack to do so without detection (win). If he left a huge trail of clues right around his hideout on the second night, then over the next 2 nights your officers could focus in that area rather than be near the potential crime scenes.

I also agree that he shouldn't have been able to use his carriage to pass through his hideout as the rules state he can't use special moves to arrive at hideout(even if only temporarily and not ending the night)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
SpaceMunky70 wrote:
I also agree that he shouldn't have been able to use his carriage to pass through his hideout as the rules state he can't use special moves to arrive at hideout (even if only temporarily and not ending the night)
Hum... Where did you read that? Because Jack sure can use a Carriage to move to his hideout. He just can't declare he reached his hideout if he uses a special move (carriage/lamp) to move there. Meaning that in the following turn, Jack has to leave the hideout and in a subsequent turn he must enter it again using a normal move to be able to declare he arrived (he can still choose not to declare he arrived, even if he used a normal move to enter the hideout.

Letters From Whitechapel Rulebook wrote:
Important: Jack cannot declare his escape if he just used a Special Movement
to move onto his Hideout. The last move that takes Jack into his Hideout must
always be a normal move.
5 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Tigard
Oregon
flag msg tools
mb
AsGSnak wrote:
SpaceMunky70 wrote:
I also agree that he shouldn't have been able to use his carriage to pass through his hideout as the rules state he can't use special moves to arrive at hideout (even if only temporarily and not ending the night)
Hum... Where did you read that? Because Jack sure can use a Carriage to move to his hideout. He just can't declare he reached his hideout if he uses a special move (carriage/lamp) to move there. Meaning that in the following turn, Jack has to leave the hideout and in a subsequent turn he must enter it again using a normal move to be able to declare he arrived (he can still choose not to declare he arrived, even if he used a normal move to enter the hideout.

Letters From Whitechapel Rulebook wrote:
Important: Jack cannot declare his escape if he just used a Special Movement
to move onto his Hideout. The last move that takes Jack into his Hideout must
always be a normal move.


Um, I thought I had read it in the rulebook....perhaps incorrectly? I don't have the rulebook in front of me, but I'll take you at your word if you say the correct wording is "The 'last' move that takes Jack into his hideout..." Then yes, I see that you could do that as long as it wasn't your final move. To be honest, I had overlooked that 'last' part and have played that 'any' move into his hideout must be normal.

I stand corrected.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
AsGSnak wrote:
Hum... Where did you read that?


It's the rules from the First Edition. Second Edition rules made a lot of changes. In my opinion, not for the better and this is one example.

In First Edition if Jack wants to dance around his hideout to tease the police he can, he just can't move to his hideout because the rules of First Edition made it clear that when Jack moved to his hideout it had to be a normal move, he declared he was there and the night ended.

It's the same with any game that has heavy rule changes across multiple editions. Any time anyone asks a question you have to make sure you are talking about the same game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diogo Poupado
Portugal
Ourém
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, I had this same question a few months ago.
Check the topic here.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
panzer6 wrote:
AsGSnak wrote:
Hum... Where did you read that?


It's the rules from the First Edition. Second Edition rules made a lot of changes. In my opinion, not for the better and this is one example.

In First Edition if Jack wants to dance around his hideout to tease the police he can, he just can't move to his hideout because the rules of First Edition made it clear that when Jack moved to his hideout it had to be a normal move, he declared he was there and the night ended.

It's the same with any game that has heavy rule changes across multiple editions. Any time anyone asks a question you have to make sure you are talking about the same game.


You are right, if Jack moves to his hideout it has to be with a regular move not with a special move. However, he can move to the same same spot where his hideout is, without entering his hideout, and that can be done with any move, special or regular. Rules have not changed, they are just clearer now.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.