Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall that the name was Ricochet, but I'm not sure since Googling that returned no good hits. It's an old board game (80's or earlier) my dad once owned. I thought came in a blueish box the same shape as a classic Monopoly box: long and thin.

It has slight similarity to another game I played as a kid:

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/12568/obsession

It dealt with trying to fully advance pawns down several straight tracks. Your pawns both gain and lose ground. I would be surprised if it was omitted from BGG's database.

I just wanted to reminisce over the details/rules/photos if I could manage to track it down.

Maybe one of you know it?

Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Help recalling/locating information about an old board game
Do you remember anything else about it? How was the game played? How was the pawns advanced down the track? Did you have to do something to advance them, like answering questions, rolling dice, anything like that? Or was it more strategic abstract, like "you advance one pawn each turn" or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A few wild guesses:

Sorry!
Cribbage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like En Garde: https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/169/en-garde

The time frame isn't right (this is early 90s), but I thought I'd throw it out anyway because memory is a funny thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the tracks had different zones perhaps of different colors. The tracks were straight. Each step was just big enough to hold a pawn. So it was one pawn deep by three pawns wide. I think the aim was to advance the pawns all the way to the end. Maybe there were 4 tracks -- not positive. The tracks would look similar to Parcheesi's track except that they are straight and run parallel. The game may even be from the 70s, 60s or 50s. It's certainly well before modern board games.

I guess it is not well known/regarded. I am pretty sure of the name. So weird. I have never been unable to locate even a trace of something for which I am almost certain of the name. I may not have the spelling right (maybe it's an odd variation).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lindgaard
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Re: [UNSOLVED] Looking for photo of vintage Ricochet board game (advance pawns down track)
another wild guess This Game is Bonkers!

The scoring track has 4 tracks of different colours and the pins/pawns go back and forth

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Galbreath
United States
Sharpsburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [UNSOLVED] Looking for photo of vintage Ricochet board game (advance pawns down track)
Pretty vague description, there's a lot that could fit.

Mastermind fits your description of the look, and some versions have a long thin blue box, but not so much the gameplay.

Rebound has a similar name structure and zoned sections for scoring but doesn't look or sound anything like what you're describing.

This Game is Bonkers has a scoring track that sounds a lot like your description.

Balderdash seems to fit, but the track is serpentine and not straight.

Ratrace could fit, but the track is square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
There's Dead Stop!. That didn't come in a long thin blue box, but the board is long and thin and has a blue background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
None of the above.

The information is vague because I don't have a complete recollection of it. It was maybe three decades ago I played it.

The tracks look similar to a Parcheesi track except they are parallel, straight tracks (like a drag race). There might even be just one wide, shared track instead of several. When a player lands on your spot he sends you back to the start, maybe. I think you can arrive at safe areas where other players can't bump your pawns. Advancement might be by rolling dice (but I'm not sure). The main thing is to advance your pawns to the end. Other players are working against you and trying for the same.

I figured it wouldn't be so hard since I had a name I was 90% sure of. Sorry guys, but this one must be a really rare vintage find since no one has ever heard of it. I am surprised. Every query I see on BGG is usually answered within hours (and sometimes minutes).

Forget the box being blue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI. I spent several hours searching BGG, Google and eBay, so I did put in an effort and not just pass the buck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only real hope is that someone else owned/played it. I don't see a search being fruitful. I may have the name wrong even though I'm very confident of it. At one point I had dreamed of turning the game into a computer game, so I had given it some thought to its name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Galbreath
United States
Sharpsburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ask reddit.com/r/boardgames

They're pretty good at figuring out obscure games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I'm just trying to prove that there was such a game and it wasn't a figment of my imagination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FattusMaximus wrote:
Ask reddit.com/r/boardgames

They're pretty good at figuring out obscure games.

Good thought:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/5ypqkb/any_idea...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebound?
But I think you would have mentioned the dexterity component.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VanMark wrote:
Rebound?
But I think you would have mentioned the dexterity component.

Sorry, no. No dexterity whatsoever. Tactical decisions and playing the odds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Could it be Tempo? It's a 1974 Kramer game that later evolved into his popular car racing games. Sounds kind of like what you are describing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. But that board is closer. Now just imagine the tracks look a little more like Parcheesi.

There's no betting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Penumbra?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:

Sorry. No. I appreciate all the tries. This is a real can of worms I opened. Apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Hamilton
United States
flag msg tools
So. This is a shot in the dark. My husband was cleaning out his closet a few days back and came across this game. We have never played it, and have no idea how the game play functions, but it's called Ricochet, and it's from 1971. I tried to look it up on the internet, but to no avail. Eventually, my searches brought me here, to this forum, and your plea. So I made my husband take a picture to see if maybe, just maybe, the great keepers of net-land brought me here for a reason.
Okay, so I have no idea if that line of code will be a picture at some point. If it's not, let me know, and I'll try to find a more computer-literate person than myself to try again.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
That is indeed a picture! A picture of the board would probably help more, but I found this eBay listing for an ad showing the game:

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?type=4&cam...

Based on that it COULD be the correct game...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katie Hamilton
United States
flag msg tools
That advertisement was all I found as well. I have more pictures, though, as the whole game is here and some of it is still even shrink-wrapped. Since the last one seemed to go okay, I'll see if i can't add some more....

Hope this helps. Other than that, all I can really say is that it's taking up space in my house, and my husband says if I can find someone who wants it, he may let me sell it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Lanza
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Katie,

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

I was almost beginning to doubt my memory -- which actually I should at least a little since it didn't perfectly match my description. But yes, that's the game! It's such a relief to at least have confirmation. Thank you for posting the picture.

You and your husband should give it a whirl. It may not hold up in light of modern games, but I do recollect having good childhood memories of it.

Thanks, Katie. After so many hours of trying to track it down, you've come to the rescue.

Mario

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That was pretty cool.

Pete (thumbed the thread)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.