Kiefer Shipman
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
I am struggling to make a PnP. I mean, I already have one, but it sucks. I mean it REALLY SUCKS. I realize it doesn't really matter as long as it's fun, but I know if I saw my PnP, I wouldn't bother. Anybody have any ideas with how to do it?

Some things: I do not own a computer. I'm using an iPad as we speak. I'm a little limited...

I REALLY need this playtested, and I can't just sit here and wait for the play testers to trickle in. This is all I can think to do.

EDIT: Whoops. Meant to add the PnP link. https://docs.google.com/document/d/10EyIUX9kcbh972w0LOaCeLl7...

And for the rulebook (if needed) https://docs.google.com/document/d/15ulyD-2gcj0NwvYSnLDGHsBJ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jade Knight
United States
Upper Valley
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Use a library computer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it depends on what is missing.

If you are looking for a professional end result, you probably have to hire someone to do it at market rate.

But if a "good amateur with artistic talent"-level is sufficient, there may be some cheaper options available. Perhaps you have a friend with talent, who'd be happy to help? Or if you could get some people here on the geek interested in the game, someone might be happy to help for a somewhat symbolic compensation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
Katikati
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It might be useful if you listed the components. A board is just a big image, there are online tools for laying out cards, and you can probably get by with generic dice, counters and meeples unless there's something really special about them. What bit exactly are you struggling with? If you are a bit more specific I'm sure someone can help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aahs jpw
msg tools
mb
Meowcows wrote:
I am struggling to make a PnP. I mean, I already have one, but it sucks. I mean it REALLY SUCKS. I realize it doesn't really matter as long as it's fun, but I know if I saw my PnP, I wouldn't bother. Anybody have any ideas with how to do it?

Some things: I do not own a computer. I'm using an iPad as we speak. I'm a little limited...

I REALLY need this playtested, and I can't just sit here and wait for the play testers to trickle in. This is all I can think to do.

You might be surprised what playtesters don't need in a PnP.

A good game can get people excited even if it is missing things like theme or art. Abstract games get along fine without either. You are right that fun is the main ingredient, so cheer up!

As far as doing a lot with a little... free apps exist on an iPad like Adobe Photoshop Sketch for art, and Quark Designpad for layout publishing (exports your layouts to .PNG only in the free version).

You could also seek out a collaborator that complements your skills. The game may benefit from another perspective in your design process.

Good luck!

aahsjpw
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aahsjpw wrote:
Meowcows wrote:

A good game can get people excited even if it is missing things like theme or art. Abstract games get along fine without either. You are right that fun is the main ingredient, so cheer up!

As far as doing a lot with a little... free apps exist on an iPad like Adobe Photoshop Sketch for art, and Quark Designpad for layout publishing (exports your layouts to .PNG only in the free version).

You could also seek out a collaborator that complements your skills. The game may benefit from another perspective in your design process.

Good luck!

aahsjpw

+1

If I understand correctly, you already have a PnP-version, it's just that you're not happy with it? If that's the case, I still think you should share the files. You've already got a handful of people replying to this thread, a bunch more probably read it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would at least take a look at it, regardless of the quality of the files. I would also assume that there are a bunch of sympathetic people over in the PnP-section of the forums, especially if you explain the situation
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiefer Shipman
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
SpecularRain wrote:
aahsjpw wrote:
Meowcows wrote:

Good luck!

aahsjpw

+1

If I understand correctly, you already have a PnP-version, it's just that you're not happy with it? If that's the case, I still think you should share the files. You've already got a handful of people replying to this thread, a bunch more probably read it. I'm sure I'm not the only one who would at least take a look at it, regardless of the quality of the files. I would also assume that there are a bunch of sympathetic people over in the PnP-section of the forums, especially if you explain the situation

Yes, I have one. I forgot to include it on my original post. I fixed that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The PnP is good enough to enable playtesting, so don't worry. I've seen considerably worse as Kickstarter campaigns
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kiefer Shipman
United States
San Marcos
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
SpecularRain wrote:
The PnP is good enough to enable playtesting, so don't worry. I've seen considerably worse as Kickstarter campaigns

I definitely want to make look REALLY good for KS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You also can have two versions of the game. One to show off, one for a demo PnP. I know a dice game that had custom dice had to use a demo PnP, so had to replace the die faces with cards.

What feedback have you gotten from playtesters in making a PnP copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.