Warhammer Quest: Shadows Over Hammerhal» Forums » General

Subject: Balancing rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Norman
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Has anyone who has played through the campaign felt that any character is too strong? I'm worried that the Loremaster may be too powerful. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Dnorm4 wrote:
Has anyone who has played through the campaign felt that any character is too strong? I'm worried that the Loremaster may be too powerful. Thoughts?

Heroes in this line have never been balanced well against each other. Some are obviously better than others.

The fleetmaster is the worst out of this bunch. He's only any good up close, but that means he is normally adjacent to enemies and facing close combat attacks rather than missile attacks, which makes his sea dragon cloak useless most of the time. His murder hook ability only triggers on the roll of a six, and only gives him the chance to inflict one additional wound.

Cogsmith is the best. He only needs a couple of hero dice with sixes and he can clear a room with the grudge-raker. His range compensates for his slow speed, and in most cases there is no line of sight to worry about. He even has a 4+ save.

The Loremaster and Castellant are very powerful too, but the loremaster and fleetmaster have definitely taken a back seat in our games so far.

However, it doesn't really matter that much if the heroes aren't balanced among themselves. If you only have Hammerhal, you only have access to these heroes, and you always take them all in every game. If you have access to other heroes, there are better (and worse) options for most of them, and you can just randomly draw or play whichever heroes you enjoy playing regardless of ability.

Sometimes it just comes down to personal play style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Norman
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response! I guess my group will just have to play through a bit more and get a feel. I do own Silver Tower, so we can substitute a few of those heroes if we're not having fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darkeden25 darkeden25
msg tools
Did you try the heroic or legendary diffcuty? For me at least it really help to soak up the overpower of certain heroes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Norman
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Upping the difficulty was my next step! I was just trying to get a couple opinions from people who have played it a bit more than my group has thus far.

I think we'll jump all the way to legendary as we've played plenty of Silver Tower and would like a challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
darkeden25 darkeden25
msg tools
For me, it's the way to go, it really change the whole game. Fear the tzaangors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.