United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anachrony

MAN VS CHRONOBOT

Setup

Welcome to my Anachrony run through versus the Chronobot. Having a wife and child really puts a hamper on my ability to meet consistently with other people to play games, so I have developed a passion for solo adventures. I have a similar run through of Mage Knight posted (see 'sessions' on the Mage Knight page). I find these types of posts very useful when learning a game and figured that I would contribute.

I have played the game twice now versus the Chronobot. Anachrony is certainly a game that has a rule book containing many minor details that are easily over looked, in addition to multiple ambiguous and/or missing elements. So I hope this serves as a pseudo-guide to new players by being able to read through a play through and see some of the rules in action. I also hope that this play through instigates some discussion with regards to rules I may have misinterpreted and/or alternative strategies that may present themselves. Enjoy!

Note about structure: for most eras, I have a pic of the chronobot setup before any actions are played. Then I list the actions for the era. Then I post a pic of the board with exosuit placement and a pic of my player/path board.

I will be the 'Path of Harmony' since Green is my favorite color (GO GREEN GO WHITE). I decided to use side A on my player board and randomly selected side B for my path board. I chose Matriarch Zaida as my Leader, thus, during worker retrieval, I will have the option of paying 2 water to receive a worker that remains in the Recruit pool, but foregoing the bonus associated.

Evacuation
Condition: I have to have at least 6 occupied building spots in order to evacuate.
Additional reward: I get 3 VPs for every Administrator + Building pair when I evacuate (tired and busy admins count). Guess I will be going for administrators and buildings!

I also start with 3 energy cores, 6 water, 3 titanium, 1 uranium, 1 tired genius snore, 2 active scientists and 2 active engineers.
EDIT – I should have started with an extra water as I am second player.

ERA 1

Preparation
Mine: gold, gold, gold, uranium, titanium
Recruits: 1 scientist, 0 engineers, 1 admin, 2 geniuses
Superproject: Particle Collider (7 VP - costs 1U, 2T, 1G, 2W w/ breakthrough)
Buildings:
Power plants - 107, 113
Factories -207, 203
Life Supports - 310, 315
Labs - 404, 407

EDIT – I forgot to put the 7th era; I must’ve counted the Impact as an era (newbbb). But I caught this mistake somewhere around the 4th or 5th era an rectified the mistake.

Paradox
This phase is ignored in Era 1.

Analysis: I feel like there are SO MANY different ways to go about strategizing in this game. Do I go for a superproject right away? Do I just mine a bunch in order to build up for future rounds? Do I just try and block the chronobot where I can? Do I try all of the above? Since I am the Path of Harmony, I would normally put a premium on getting water via buildings as my Leader ability uses water and it is advantageous to try and move forward on the morale track rather than having to force my workers. I'm not a huge fan of either of the life support buildings available, however. I am generally one to try and sacrifice early to set up for later, so here goes.

Power Up
I opt to power up 4 exosuits. I get 2 water and have to pay one energy core in order to do this. The chronobot powers up 6 per normal pre-impact rules.

Warp
I decide to warp in 2 water. Why not, water helps and is always refreshing! Chronobot rolls a 1 w/ the paradox die and places 1 warp tile. So I take 2 more water (from the future!) for a total of 10.

Era 1 Action Rounds

1. Chronobot rolls a 6, takes 2 water and advances the 6 token to the right.

I decide to Construct with an engineer. I pay 1 titanium (bc I save a T w/ my engineer) to build life support 315; this gives me a one time bonus of 8 water (18 W total). I am hoping that I can turn this extra sum of water into something useful! Plus, I know I'll need some water to get some recruits with my leader bonus.

2. Chronobot rolls ANOTHER 6 (good thing this isn't risk or twilight struggle or something) and gets 1 VP. The 6 token moves back to the left.

I got lucky with those first couple rolls! I decide to mine with a scientist and place him on the first hex for two uranium (1 bonus, 1 from the pool). Nice.

3. Chronobot rolls a 3 and mines. No uranium for you! He he . Chronobot places an exosuit on hex 2 for a gold and takes titanium from the pool.

I decide to research with a scientist. I'm on the first hex which enables me to turn one of the die to the symbol or shape I want; so I turn the symbol die to the one reflected on the first superproject and roll the shape for..... A circle! Huge! (Circle breakthrough that I have is what is needed for the superproject). So I take the breakthrough associated.

4. Chronobot rolls a 5 and takes 2 water (4 total). The 5 token moves onto the same space with a 3 and 4 already present, so it moves to the next space since you can't have three Chronobot tokens on the same space (the highest numbered token moves on in this situation).

Too bad I didn't take gold with my mining action cry. I just never thought I'd get that lucky with my breakthrough roll. I can't afford the superproject without a gold. Darn. So I decide to recruit. I place my engineer on the first recruit hex and take the administrator (I get 1 VP for doing this as this is the admin bonus).

5. Chronobot rolls a 3 and constructs a Life Support building.

I pass, thus ending the round.

Clean Up
Now I retrieve all of my workers - 2 scientists and 2 engineers are now tired.
I decide to use my leader ability to spend 2 water to recruit an active genius! Down to 16 water.

End of Era 1

ERA 2

Preparation
Mine: gold, gold, uranium, titanium, titanium
Recruits: 0 scientists, 2 engineers, 1 administrator, 1 genius
Superproject: Uranium Cores (5 VP - costs 3 U, 1 T, 1 Scientist and breakthrough).
Buildings:
Power plants - 104, 107
Factories - 202, 207
Life Supports - 303, 314
Labs - 408, 404

Paradox
Both the chronobot and I have 1 warp tile in Era 1, so we both roll the paradox die. I rolled a 1, and the chronobot rolled a 1, so we each have one paradox token.

Analysis: I have my eye on the first superproject since I have that breakthrough and it's also worth a nice chunk of end game VPs (7). So I'm thinking I will make it my goal to get that bad boy this turn. That means I will need to ask some favors of my future self again to make that happen.

Power Up
I decide to power up 3 exosuits; I get 3 water (19 total) and spend 0 energy cores. The chronobot powers 6, per usual in pre-impact eras.

Warp
I decide I'm going to warp a neutronium from the future! Chronobot rolls a 1 and places 1 warp tile.

Era 2 Action Rounds

1. Chronobot rolls a 3 for a recruit action and places an exosuit on hex 1 for a recruit action. Chronobot always takes recruits based on need and priority; since the chronobot doesn't currently have any recruits, it takes a genius.

I decide to use my genius to construct a building for -1 T. I place my exosuit on hex 1. I opt for Power Plant 107. It costs me 1 N (which I had warped), 1 T and 1 Water. Power Plant 113 is available again as I took 107 from the secondary stack.

2. Chronobot rolls a 2 and constructs a Lab. He takes the 404 since that has higher VPs. Lab 407 is available again as 404 was removed from the secondary stack.

I use my administrator on my player board to supply. This makes all my recruits active (1 genius, 2 engineers, 2 scientists). It costs me 5 water (down to 13 total) and I move to the right on the morality track.thumbsup heart

3. Chronobot rolls a 5 which is another recruit action (5 was under 3). It recruits the administrator which is the next highest priority recruit.... ugh, that hurts... shake was hoping to buy him at the end of this round with my Leader as I need admins to benefit from my evacuation.

I decide to mine with my engineer. I place my exosuit on the second hex and take a gold and a titanium. I need the gold for the superproject in Era 1!

4. Chronobot rolls a 2 and researches. The exosuit goes on the first hex. It rolls a circle (you only roll the shape research die for the chronobot) and I get to choose the symbol. I give the chronobot the same breakthrough I have; I shouldn't have need for a second one.

I use a scientist and a uranium to activate my power plant. I move my focus back to Era 1 and get a VP for doing so (from the power plant). I provide two refreshing water tokens to my past self! I thus remove my warp tile from Era 1 and move my time travel marker to the right one for completing this process. My focus will remain in Era 1 for the remainder of this current era. Boom! Now THAT is how you time travel, folks!! cool

Some rule concepts to keep in mind - since I used a power plant to change my focus to the first Era, my focus remains in that era until we move into the next era. So after we finish this 'round' (Era 2), my focus will then shift to next era, Era 3.

5. Chronobot rolls a 3 and builds factory 207 from the secondary stack since this had the higher VPs. Factory 203 is now available again.

I decide to use my engineer to go to the World Council since both Construct hexes are taken by other exosuits. I take the 'First Player' hex and pay 2 water for the action (down to 9 water). This gives me -1 T because I get the bonus from my engineer even though I'm not directly on a Construct hex. I use my Construct action to build the Particle Collider from Era 1 for 1 U, 1 T, 1 G, 2 W and my breakthrough. Super. Project. Complete! I have to place it as far left as it can go on my player board; I haven't built a factory or lab so it has to go in one of those rows; I place it in my factory row.

6. Chronobot rolls a 3 for a morale action; it does not have enough water to advance the morality tracker (it only has 4 and needs 5), so it recruits instead. Because it has recruited twice this turn already, the chronobot exosuit occupies the second world council hex. The chronobot recruits one of the available engineers.

I pass, thus ending the round.

Clean Up
I retrieve all of my workers - 1 tired genius, 1 tired engineer, 1 tired scientist, 1 administrator remains active, 1 engineer remains active.
I decide to use my Leader ability I buy the lonely remaining engineer from the recruit pool for 2 water (down to 7) and put him in my active worker section.

End of Era 2

ERA 3

Preparation
Mine: neutronium, gold, gold, uranium, titanium
Recruits: 1 scientist, 0 engineers, 2 administrators, 1 genius
Superproject: Anti-Gravity Field (costs 4 T, 1 Engineer and a breakthrough)
Buildings:
Power plants - 102, 104
Factories - 201, 202
Life Supports - 311, 303
Labs - 403, 408

Paradox
Chronobot rolls a paradox die for Era 1 (I no longer have my warp tile there since I removed it last Era ). Chronobot rolls a 1 and takes a paradox token (2 total).
For Era 2, both the chronobot and I have to roll since we both have 1 warp token. I roll a 1, Chronobot rolls a 1. So I now have 2 paradox tokens. The chronobot has 3 tokens and now has to take an anomaly. When the chronobot takes an anomaly, a warp tile is removed from the era with the most chronobot warp tiles; in this case the chronobot has 1 at most, so it removes the warp tile from Era 1, the oldest era.
EDIT - I realize now that I left an anomaly on the chronobot player board from my last game; no harm no foul! Now there's a reason for that anomaly to be there, haha. Chronobot now discards the three paradox tokens, in addition to the warp tile on Era 1.

Analysis: There is so much that I can opt to do right now my head feels like it is going to explode!! goo Breathe! Ok. Ok... So I'm pretty happy with my game so far. I am very likely going to mine early for the simple fact of blocking the chronobot from getting that neutronium. I very likely will not try to get another superproject as it's more advantageous for me to try and get admins and buildings for my evac conditions. We'll see!

Power Up
I elect to power up 3 exosuits so I get 3 water (10 total) and pay 0 energy cores. The chronobot powers up 6, per normal in pre-impact phases.

Warp
I am going to be daring.... and warp in an exosuit. Screw it, You Only Live Twice, Mr. Bond. The nice thing about doing that is that I got the water still during the ‘Power Up’ phase and didn't have to pay the energy core.
Chronobot rolls another 1 and places 1 warp tile.

Era 3 Action Rounds

1. I get to go first!! I decide to mine and snatch that neutronium up while I can! I use my engineer and go to the first hex and take the neutronium from the pool and the bonus uranium.

Chronobot rolls a 5 for a Construct Factory action.... snatches up the first Construct hex and builds Factory 202 (both factories available were 1 VP so it took from the secondary stack). Factory 203 is now available again.

2. I decide to mine again! I'll snatch up more uranium so that I can stock up for my time machine (which costs 1 U for me to use) and also build on subsequent turns and in future eras. I use my engineer and place the exosuit on hex 3 for the bonus titanium and I take uranium from the pool.

Chronobot rolls a 6 and takes 2 water (6 total). Pretty good roll for me.

3. I decide to recruit with my administrator to get another administrator (+1 VP for the bonus). I decide to recruit here so I can get the action for free (before chrono-hexer-snatcher goes there) and I'm hoping for a decent roll (not another Construct action) from the chronobot.

Chronobot rolls a 5 for a Construct Factory action. Ugh. At least I can maintain first player I suppose by taking the first World Council hex next. Chronobot takes Factory 203 from the secondary stack since it has more VPs. No new Factory is available since there aren't anymore in the secondary stack.

4. I use my genius on the first World Council hex in order to Construct (since the chronobot snatched both Construct hexes). It costs me 2 water (down to 8 water). I decide to Construct Life Support 311 for 1 U, 1 T (I get -1 T from my genius) and 1 water (down to 7). This building has a passive effect and cuts my supply cost for water in half (rounded up)! That is a nice building! Life Support 312 is now available (I must not have shuffled very well... this game is still new haha).

Chronobot rolls a 4 for ANOTHER Construct action. It places an exosuit on the second World Council hex, This time it constructs a Life Support. It takes 303 since both available are worth 1 VP, so it takes from the secondary stack. 314 becomes available again.

5. I decide to use my scientist on my Power Plant and pay 1 uranium to go back in time. I put my focus into Era 2 and pay my neutronium to my past self. I remove my warp tile from Era 2 and advance my time travel marker to 4 VP. I also get 1 VP token as a bonus from my Power Plant.

Chronobot rolls a 3 for yet another Construct action and gets 2 Water and 1 VP since there are no hexes available for him to Construct on!

6. I Pass so the round ends immediately.

Clean Up
I retrieve all of my workers: 1 tired scientist, 2 active engineers (from the mine), 1 tired administrator, and 1 tired genius.
I decide to use my Leader ability to buy the remaining administrator for 2 water (down to 5). He is placed in my active worker section.

End of Era 3

ERA 4

Preparation
Mine: neutronium, gold, uranium, titanium, titanium.
Recruits: 2 scientists, 2 engineers, 0 admins, 0 geniuses. Rough draw.
Superproject: Welfare Society (costs 2 T, 2 G, 4 Water and a breakthrough).
Buildings:
Power Plants - 115, 102
Factories - 214, 201
Life Supports - 306, 312
Labs - 409, 403

Paradox
For Era 2, Chronobot has 1 warp tile and rolls a paradox die. It rolls a 1 and takes 1 paradox token.
For Era 3, both the chronobot and I have 1 warp tile, so we both roll one die. I roll a 1, adding a paradox token for a total of 3; thus I take an anomaly. The anomaly is placed all the way to the left in my Lab section. I opt to remove my exosuit warp tile. Chronobot rolls a TWO and now has a total of three paradox tokens. So the chronobot takes another anomaly and removes its warp tile from Era 2.

Analysis: Not an amazing draw in terms of the mine or the recruits. I'd prefer NO neutronium in the mine as I can make my own with my particle collider and I don't want the chronobot to get any. Also, no admins is a big hit... so I'm not 100% sure what my goal for this turn will be... I may just end the round relatively quick to minimize damage.

Power Up
I opt to power up 3 exosuits. Thus, I get 3 water (8 total) and pay 0 energy cores.
The chronobot powers 6 exosuits, per normal pre-impact rules.

Warp
I opt to warp 2 water (10 total). Chronobot rolls a 1 and places 1 warp tile.

Era 4 Action Rounds

1. I still get to go first! I decide to Construct. I use my engineer and place my exosuit on the first Construct hex and build Lab 403 for 1 U, 1 T and 2 Water (down to 8). This building allows me to pay an energy core to power up an exosuit. This may be a solid way to add an extra exosuit after impact.

Chronobot rolls a 4 and takes a recruit action. It recruits a scientist, which completes the chronobot's collection of workers. So one of each is discarded and the chronobot receives 5 VPs. Darn. angry

2. I use an engineer to mine. I take the neutronium and the bonus uranium. Still trying to block the scheister chronobot.

Chronobot rolls a 2 for a mine action. It places its exosuit on the second hex because the bonus uranium isn't available, thus, gold is next in priority; it takes the uranium from the pool. Ha! Blocked.

3. I decide to use an administrator to supply. It costs me 3 water (it only costs me 3 because of my Life Support - down to 5 W). 2 geniuses, 1 engineer, 1 admin, and 2 scientists are made active (I still had one active admin). I also move my morale tracker to the right to 4 VPs.

Chronobot rolls a 5 for a morale action. It pays 5 water (down to 3) and moves its morale tracker to the right one space to 2 VP.

4. I use my engineer and exosuit to mine again. I have to place my exosuit on hex 3. I take the bonus titanium and gold from the pool. I want gold for future buildings... Maybe? Idk... I'm considering trying for another super project, or making sure I can get rid of the anomaly on my player board.

Chronobot rolls a 2 and constructs a Life Support. It takes the 306 Life Support building since this has more VPs. Building 301 becomes available.

5. I pass and the round ends immediately.

Clean Up
I retrieve all of my workers: 1 admin remains active, 2 engineers remain active, and 1 engineer is tired snore.
I opt not to use my Leader ability this round. ninja

End of Era 4.

IMPACT

The evacuation action becomes available.
The 6 capital actions (research, recruit, construct) are replaced with the collapsing tiles.
Two of the exosuit spaces on my player board are unavailable.
The top resource in the resource pool for mining will be neutronium.

ERA 5

Preparation
Mine: neutronium, neutronium, gold, titanium, titanium
Recruit: 2 scientists, 0 engineers, 1 admin, 1 genius
Superproject: Cloning Vat (costs 2 U, 2 T, 4 Water and a breakthrough).
Buildings:
Power Plant - 110, 115
Factories - 206, 214
Life Support - 313, 304
Lab - 406, 409

Paradox
Chronobot has 1 warp tile in Era 3 and rolls as 1 and adds 1 paradox token.
For Era 4, we both roll 1 paradox die. I roll a 0. Yay! Chronobot rolls a 1 and adds a paradox token (2 total).

Analysis: Last Era wasn't a great one for me! I need to make up for it here. I'm going to try and maximize my turn this Era. My goal is to get that admin, build a high VP building and potentially evacuate this round. It may be in my best interest to try and end the game this round but it depends on what the Chronobot rolls for that to be a possibility.

Power Up
I opt to power up 1 exo suit. This gives me 3 water (8 total) and I pay 0 energy cores. The chronobot powers up 4 exosuits since we are no post-impact.

Warp
Because of my 0 roll on the paradox die, there is no risk for me not to use two warp tiles here (aside from losing VPs if I don't pay them back) because I will only roll one paradox die next turn at most regardless. I opt to warp in a titanium and an exosuit. Booyah! Chronobot rolls a 1 and places 1 warp tile.

Era 5 Action Rounds

1. I am still first player. I decide to Construct for -1 U/T/G (collapsing tile bonus), which is the first hex. I use an engineer so can also save a titanium. It costs me 1 T, 1 G and 2 Water (down to 6 Total) to Construct Factory 206. I like this building bc it is relatively cheap with the bonuses, worth 3 VPs and gives me a uranium if needed.

Chronobot rolls a 2 for a Construct Life Support action. Chronobot already has three Life Support buildings so it places an exosuit on the second Construct hex and takes 2 Water and 1 VP.

2. I am debating here. Part of me considers going for another superproject for the VPs. Another part of me considers getting the bonus exosuit from the collapsing capital hex under recruit. That is what I decide to do. I use an admin to recruit another admin. I get a powered up exosuit as the bonus from the collapsing capital hex. I get 1 VP as the bonus for recruiting the admin and he is placed as an active worker.

Chronobot rolls a 6 and builds a superproject. He gets to take the highest VP superproject. 3 of them are tied with 6 VPs, so it takes the oldest, which is the Anti-Gravity Field from Era 2. Chronobot also had to go to the World Council, first player hex to take that action :/

3. I use my engineer to mine. I place my exosuit on hex 2 and take the gold and a titanium from the pool.

Chronobot rolls a 4 for a Construct Factory action. It places an exosuit on the second World Council hex. It can't take another Factory as it already has 3, so it takes 2 water (7 total) and 1 VP.

4. I use a scientist on my Power Plant and change focus back to Era 4, paying one U. I pay two water to my past self (down to 4 water). I move my time travel token forward one space to 6 VP and remove the warp token. I also get a VP from the power Plant.

Chronobot rolls a 6 and takes 2 water (up to 9 total).

5. I use an admin on my Factory 206 for a uranium.

Chronobot rolls a 5 for a Construct action. It cannot Construct because there are no available hexes so it takes 2 water (11 total) and a VP.

6. I decide to get rid of the anomaly that I have. So I place a scientist , pay 1 Neutronium and 2 water (down to 4 water), kill my scientist. RIP.

Chronobot rolls a 1 for yet another Construct action. It is unable to place an exosuit on a hex for this action so it takes 2 water (13 total) and a VP.

7. I pass, thus ending the round immediately.

Clean Up
I retrieve all of my workers: 1 active engineer (from the mine), 1 tired engineer, 1 active admin (from factory 206), 1 tired admin.
I opt not to use my Leader ability to buy another recruit.
Both Construct hexes are flipped making them unavailable. The second recruit hex is flipped making it unavailable. Thus, three capital actions remain.

End of Era 5

ERA 6

Preparation
Mine: neutronium, gold, uranium, uranium, titanium
Recruits: 2 scientists, 1 engineer, 0 admins, 1 genius
Superproject: Continuum Stabilizer (6 VPs, costs 2 T, 2 G and breakthrough).
Buildings:
Power Plants - 108, 110
Factories - 211, 215
Life Supports - 302, 313
Labs - 402, 406

Paradox
Chronobot rolls for having a warp tile in Era 3, rolls a 1 and adds a paradox token. This gives it 3 total so it takes an anomaly and does not roll again this paradox round. Chronobot also removes the warp token from Era 3. Once a player gains an anomaly during the paradox phase, they remove all of their paradox tokens and do not roll again.
I have to roll once die since I have the most warp tiles in Era 5. I roll a 1 and add 1 paradox token.

Analysis: I think at this point, there isn't a whole ton I can do to benefit myself. So I will probably try to push end game this Era. The longer we play, I feel that the chronobot is going to benefit by potentially getting an additional superproject, more buildings, mining the right cube, etc. I will need to get a lucky Chronobot roll or two though to end the game.

Power Up
I decide to power up 2 exosuits. I get 2 water (5 total) and pay 1 energy core (down to 1 total). Chronobot powers up 4 exosuits per normal post-impact rules.

Warp
I opt to warp in an administrator so that I can get more of a bonus from my evac. I pay the 1 water necessary to successfully warp him active (down to 3 total water). Chronobot rolls a 0 and places 0 warp tokens.
EDIT – I put the scientist warp tile on accident. I believe this is rectified in the subsequent photos.

Era 6 Action Rounds

1. Chronobot rolls a 4 for a morale boost. It pays 7 water and moves the morale tracker to the right to 5 VPs.

I decide to mine. I place my exosuit on the second hex and take a gold bonus and the neutronium from the pool. I really don't want the chronobot to get another free 5 VPs!

2. Chronobot rolls a 5 and takes a research action. It places an exosuit on the first hex and rolls the shape die; a square is rolled. So I give him a random square breakthrough as I don't think it matters much at this point!

I decide that I want to Construct a building with my inexpensive lab spot that had opened up since removing my anomaly. Because the two Construct spaces are unavailable, I opt to go to the second World Council hex. It costs me 1 water (down to 4) to activate this hex. I use a genius (-1 T) and pay 1 U, 1 T and 1 water (down to 3) to Construct lab 402. I'm doing this for the VPs and also to potentially get one more admin + building bonus when I evacuate. Lab 401 is now available.

3. Chronobot rolls a 4 for a Construct Lab action. It takes the first World Council hex and builds Lab 401, since it had the higher VP amount (4.....).

I use an admin on my Factory 206 to get a uranium.

4. Chronobot rolls a 1 for a time travel action. It removes a warp tile from the Era in which it has the most warp tiles, or the oldest Era. So it removes the 1 warp tile from Era 4 and advances forward in the time travel track to 2 VPs.

I use an admin on my Power Plant and put focus back to Era 5. I gain a VP from my Power Plant and pay 1 Titanium to my past self. I remove the titanium warp tile and advance forward to 8 VPs on the time travel track.

5. Chronobot rolls a 2 for a recruit action. It takes the one remaining recruit hex and recruits the genius available as this is the highest priority recruit.

I am in a dilemma... I would like to advance my morality marker and potentially evacuate by getting another exosuit from my lab.... but if I do that, I would want the game to end this round so I don't risk getting an anomaly. Conversely, I could extend the game and time travel again in order to get more VPs for that... and I have resources to pay for an anomaly if needed... but if I want to do that, I would end the round now by passing so I don't risk the chronobot getting the lone research hex removed, effectively ending the game.
I was just about to use my admin to supply when I realized I am a water short (I am in the pay 7 water place, but my passive ability decreases that by half, rounded up, thus I would need to pay 4). Shucks. So I pass, thus ending the round.

Clean Up
I retrieve my workers: 1 active admin from factory 206, 1 tired admin, 1 active engineer from the mine, 1 tired genius.
I opt not to use my Leader ability.
The final recruit hex is flipped and now unavailable. The first research hex is now unavailable, leaving only the second research action as an available capital hex (not counting the World capital hexes of course).

End of Era 6

ERA 7

Preparation
Mine: neutronium, neutronium, uranium, uranium, uranium
Recruits: 1 scientist, 1 engineer, 2 administrators, 0 geniuses.
Superproject: Temporal Tourism (6 VP, costs 1 N, 3 T, 3 Water and a breakthrough).
Buildings:
Power Plants - 109, 108
Factories - 210, 211
Life Supports -307, 302
Labs - 420, 405

Paradox
Both the chronobot and I roll a paradox die for Era 5 as we both have 1 warp tile; I roll a 1 and add a paradox token (2 total). Chronobot rolls a 1 and adds a token for 1 total. I roll another paradox die for Era 6 as I have a warp tile; I roll a 1 and have to take an anomaly as I now have three paradox tokens. :/ I remove my exosuit warp tile from Era 5. My anomaly goes in my second Power Plant slot (farthest open slot to the left).

Analysis: I keep changing my mind mid turn haha. I was really hoping to have ended the game before Era 7, but I'm hoping to time travel again, boost morale again, and evacuate.

Power Up
I decide to power up 1 exosuit; I pay 0 energy cores and receive 3 water (6 total). Chronobot powers up 4 exosuits.

Warp
I opt not to warp anything. Chronobot rolls a 1 and places 1 warp tile.

Era 7 Action Rounds

1. Chronobot rolls a 2 for a Construct Factory action. It places an exosuit on the first World Council hex, but it already has 3 factories for it takes 2 water (8 total) and 1 VP.

I decide that I want to recruit one of the administrators so I go to the second World Council hex, pay 1 water and use a genius to recruit the admin. I get 1 VP as the bonus.

2. Chronobot rolls a 4 for a Construct Lab action. It takes Lab 405 from the secondary stack since this had the higher VP count. This is the third lab for the chronobot. Lab 406 is available again.
EDIT - Chronobot should not have been able to Construct here because there are not any hexes available for it to place an exosuit on. Chronobot should have taken 2 W and 1 VP (thanks to japester1)

I use an admin on supply. I pay 4 water to activate all of my tired workers (1 genius, 2 engineers, 2 admins, 1 scientist). I'm down to 1 water. My moral moves forward to the 6 VP spot.

3. Chronobot rolls a 1 and pays 2 cubes and 2 water to remove one of its anomalies. It removes 1 T and 1 G as indicated by priority (down to 6 water).

I place an admin on Lab 403 and spend my last remaining energy core to activate an exosuit.

4. Chronobot rolls a 5 for a mine action. Darnit. It places an exosuit on the bottom mine hex for a titanium bonus and takes a neutronium from the pool. It discards one of each resource and takes 5 VPs.

I decide to evacuate with an admin. I have >6 building spaces occupied so my first condition is met. I also have 6 admins (doesn't matter if they are active, busy or tired) and 6 buildings, so I get 2 + 18 VPs for my evacuation. Not too bad!

5. Chronobot rolls a 1 for a Construct action, but there are no hexes available for it to Construct on. So it takes 2 water and 1 VP instead.

I use an admin on Power Plant 107 to shift focus back to Era 6. I provide one of my active admins to my past self and remove the admin warp tile!! I get 1 VP from my Power Plant and move my time travel marker to the right to 10 VPs.

6. Chronobot rolls a 4 for a Construct Lab action but, as before, cannot Construct. So it takes 2 water and 1 VP.

Unfortunately, I am 1 Water short from being able to remove that anomaly . So I decide to pass, thus ending the round.

Clean Up
I retrieve my workers and the game is ended.

Untangle the Continuum
I don't have any threads dangling in the space-time Continuum, so I don't have anything to do in this phase. This phase essentially allows players to pay any resources, water or active workers they may have back to their past selves in order to prevent negative points (it's -2 VPs for every warp tile remaining). If they pay something back in this phase, they don't get to advance their time travel marker.

Final Scoring and Thoughts

Final score:
Me - 61
Chronobot - 49

Final analysis:
1. First off, I apologize for any errors that you may find. It was a challenge trying to remember everything as I was logging the game and I'm sure I forgot to move a Chronobot token or something of that nature throughout the game.
2. I never would've thought I would've won the game haha. My evac bonus must have been really good. I liked the way I started the game, but I feel my lack of experience hindered me in the mid and late game. I think that I should have worked harder to find a way to get more water each turn, either by building one of the free action Life Supports or by sacrificing some exosuits with a scientist in the water depot instead of mining so much, especially since the chronobot ended up getting 5 mining VPs anyways, after all of my efforts to prevent it from happening; Also, I had unused resources at the end of the game that are useless.
3. I think in future rounds I will work harder to manage the game in terms of the sheer number of actions I allow the chronobot to take. The solo game forces you to be extremely efficient. Again, this was only my second game, so there is plenty of room for improvement!
4. I believe that I was very lucky with my Chronobot rolls; there were many Construct rolls that only led to water and a VP that could've been utilized moving the chronobot morale or time travel trackers, or building another superproject.
5. One action I didn’t really utilize much was the research action. I realize that researching can lead to VPs in the end-game with breakthrough sets, etc. I would be interested to hear other players’ thoughts with regards to varying strategies that utilize more researching.

Thoughts on Anachrony Solo - I have really enjoyed the two games I have played. It is incredibly satisfying to successfully travel back in time and provide warped resources to your past self. That is an incredibly unique mechanic that I think works wonderfully and beautifully in this game! I don't think there is another worker placement game that truly makes you feel as though you are a part of the theme of the game as much as Anachrony. I also really enjoy the effect that the Impact has on the game. The tension is real and it's crazy how a game can make you feel so insecure as those hexes become unavailable. Enriching the theme of the game are the absolutely stunning esthetics; the art, the resources, water and exosuits are gorgeous.
Tentative 9.5/10 - Will always enjoy playing and would certainly recommend.

Thank you for reading!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mease
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife and kid make it hard to go out and play with others. Posts update that probably took 4 hours to type.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Van
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More like 7..... haha. But this I could easily do late at night while said kids were sleeping over the course of 3-4 nights haha

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good read. Quick Chronobot question. Era 7, Action 2--can the Chronobot construct if both Capital Action spots are occupied and all construction spots have collapsed? I thought it would do nothing and take 2W and 1VP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Van
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
Good read. Quick Chronobot question. Era 7, Action 2--can the Chronobot construct if both Capital Action spots are occupied and all construction spots have collapsed? I thought it would do nothing and take 2W and 1VP.

Yes, you are correct! It appears I made an error here. Nice catch! And thanks for reading . I will edit the post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, thank you for taking the time to be so thorough. I'm literally sitting down for my first game right now and this was helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Van
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
japester1 wrote:
No, thank you for taking the time to be so thorough. I'm literally sitting down for my first game right now and this was helpful.

You're welcome! I'm glad it was helpful!

Enjoy! It truly is a unique, fun game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Buonocore
United States
Warren
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for doing this -- quite an undertaking! And very nicely done, indeed.

Having just finished my 3rd play against the Chronobot (lost all 3!), going through your run through here was quite helpful in a variety of ways -- especially in terms of confirming that I was playing everything correctly, and also pointing the way toward some tactical/strategic ideas to be considered in upcoming plays against this Chronobot.

Plus, I really just enjoyed the ride, and truly appreciated those "Analysis" sections where you shared your thought processes on the current situation, available options, and reasoning behind your consequent decisions. Having just been down this "path" 3 times, it was really nice to have someone else sharing their journey in this manner.

Quite an extraordinary game, indeed. I'm learning as I go, and enjoying progressively trying out the various paths, each with their 8 different "versions." I'm also now incorporating the "Alternate Timeline" variant, which adds yet another interesting element.

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Van
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elad wrote:
Thanks so much for doing this -- quite an undertaking! And very nicely done, indeed.

Having just finished my 3rd play against the Chronobot (lost all 3!), going through your run through here was quite helpful in a variety of ways -- especially in terms of confirming that I was playing everything correctly, and also pointing the way toward some tactical/strategic ideas to be considered in upcoming plays against this Chronobot.

Plus, I really just enjoyed the ride, and truly appreciated those "Analysis" sections where you shared your thought processes on the current situation, available options, and reasoning behind your consequent decisions. Having just been down this "path" 3 times, it was really nice to have someone else sharing their journey in this manner.

Quite an extraordinary game, indeed. I'm learning as I go, and enjoying progressively trying out the various paths, each with their 8 different "versions." I'm also now incorporating the "Alternate Timeline" variant, which adds yet another interesting element.

Thanks again!

I am glad you enjoyed it!! Thank you for the kind words
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew B C
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vanflet2 wrote:
Elad wrote:

Thanks again!

I am glad you enjoyed it!! Thank you for the kind words

fantastic read!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.