Subject: Better Synergy in Later Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought Marvel Dice Masters soon after it first released, plus one or two of the big boxes of dice packs, and quite enjoyed the game.

But after about a month of playing fairly regularly with my brother, we determined that there didn't seem to be much synergy between the characters and specific characters (e.g., Storm) were distinctly stronger for their ratings than others of that same rating. More importantly for me was that when one of these stronger characters was added to a team, due to the lack of synergy, there was no clever combination of lower-powered characters that would allow you to defeat them. The only counter seemed to be to add a similarly powerful character on your side as well.

I am curious whether any of the later games (LOTR, Yu-Gi-Oh, etc.) were able to expand the space for creativity? I'm fine, to some extent, with some things being intrinsically more powerful than their rating should make them. But I want to be able to build a counter that isn't just matching pound for pound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by "rating"? The rarity of the card (Common/Uncommon/Rare/Super-Rare)? For the vast majority of the game, the "power levels" of the cards have been very well distributed among rarities. Most cards have several different types of balances/counters - higher cost (harder to get to), low defense (easier to KO), etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
What do you mean by "rating"? The rarity of the card (Common/Uncommon/Rare/Super-Rare)? For the vast majority of the game, the "power levels" of the cards have been very well distributed among rarities. Most cards have several different types of balances/counters - higher cost (harder to get to), low defense (easier to KO), etc.

I mean the number in the upper left off the card. Sorry, it's been too long since I've played for me to even remember what that represented, let alone the technical term for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chicagopsych

houston
Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard to know exactly what balance issues you experienced, but there are many strategies to reduce the impact of certain abilities. The more one plays, the more one discovers. I'm surprised at how deep the game can be. Go to you tube and watch videos on the dedicated DM channels. There are a lot of strategy tips for countering certain teams, cards types, and specific cards. Within the tournament scene you will often see the same teams used over and over because some cards are just so good, but for casual play, I have not really had an issue. New sets do add a lot more key words (new abilities). Again you can YouTube for reviews on these sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AnalyzerOfGames wrote:
pk2317 wrote:

I mean the number in the upper left off the card. Sorry, it's been too long since I've played for me to even remember what that represented, let alone the technical term for it.

That's the cost - the higher it is the more difficult it is to afford it. Usually the higher cost will result in better die stats and/or better abilities, although there are some good abilities at low costs that can be easier to acquire earlier in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.