Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The design for Fields of Fame came after Hall of Heroes had passed initial tests. I had about six months before I planned to Kickstart Hall of Heroes, so I challenged myself to design another expansion. It was meant to be nothing more than a fun project to keep myself busy, but after a few early tests I saw how much potential it had.

When first deciding to work on expansions for Raiders, adding a new token into the plunder bag seems like an obvious move. I spent ages trying to think up a new resource that players could plunder. Nothing stuck though. Eventually the idea of enemy jarls came around. Having them mix in with the plunder worked so well and I immediately moved into making them trigger encounters with jarls. The options to kill, subdue or flee were there from the start. However, the new addition of wounds came a lot later.

I remember sitting down with a good friend and regular playtester (thanks Andrew!), telling him what I'd been working on. He immediately said "maybe crew can take damage?" What a flipping awesome idea! I got stuck into how it could work. It took a while getting the balance right - how much fame, silver, wounds and other rewards. But the end result was so good. To the point that I thought to myself, "I think this is going to be better that Hall of Heroes." It was then that I started considering Kickstarting both expansions together.

Fields of Fame adds a lot more dynamic and interesting swings in the game. Everything is still balanced, but it makes for a more immersive and fun experience. The decision to take on a jarl is a daunting one to make - almost as much as what to do in the encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is the better of the two and I will only play without Fields of Fame if specifically requested. The wound system is so elegant and blends with the existing cards intuitively, the jarls are so tempting! But I've learned to just be content with one lest I fall behind the raiding race. Thanks Shem, this one's a grand slam!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.