Subject: Initial impressions of components rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Mort
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
I was really excited to play this and anxiously waited for it to come in the mail. I had seen several game plays and knew it was probably a game my wife and I would enjoy. Upon opening the box I was disappointed with the quality of the components.

The dice are neat, but while carefully removing the tiles from their panels several tore due to the front and back of them being paper instead of a more plastic like cover. Most of the tiles are thick, but for some reason the construction zone mats, player phase mate, and player shields are a thick somewhat flimsy paper. Not thin as printer paper but similar to a card stock thickness. With how thin the mats are, there isn't really a clean way of putting them back in the box without the worry of bending them. We ended up removing the cardboard organizer and putting them behind it to prevent any bending.

I enjoyed the game, I just wish they would have done a better job with all of the components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Mortjer2 wrote:
for some reason the construction zone mats, player phase mate, and player shields are [...] similar to a card stock thickness.

This was intentional for the phase strips and mats so that A) rolled dice didn't end up "cocked" on them and B) placed dice didn't tend to fall off of them.

The shields are constantly being lifted and replaced. Thicker, heavier shields with scored folds would wear out *much* faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Casper
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Mortjer2 wrote:
for some reason the construction zone mats, player phase mate, and player shields are [...] similar to a card stock thickness.

This was intentional for the phase strips and mats so that A) rolled dice didn't end up "cocked" on them and B) placed dice didn't tend to fall off of them.

The shields are constantly being lifted and replaced. Thicker, heavier shields with scored folds would wear out *much* faster.

Huh. I've played the game a bunch and never really thought about the components but now that I've read that it makes sense. Very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mort
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
I guess we may have been spoiled with games like Caverna, Castles of Burgundy, and other worker placements that the tiles were better. Even Carcassone's tiles seemed like they might last longer. Don't get me wrong, I really do like the game. Just wished a little better tiles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter S.
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
For popping tiles/coins/whatev, always push towards the "less cut" side (technical term, clearly). Any tears will be onto the throwaway board rather than the piece, and you should be able to stop and solve before they get all the way to another piece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Mort
United States
Port Orchard
Washington
flag msg tools
This was our first game that regardless which side we pushed from, they tore. Perhaps we got a batch that were just really poorly pre-cut. After the first tear we tried all sorts of ways and nothing seemed to work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Mortjer2 wrote:
This was our first game that regardless which side we pushed from, they tore. Perhaps we got a batch that were just really poorly pre-cut.

A few sets have had this problem. Contact Rio Grande Games for a set of replacement tiles.

The tile quality should be quite good. Most sets have not had problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.