Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Morgan
Australia
Brisbane
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Six-Sixty for as long as I could count and have always been surprised that it's not better known as it's one of the better card games to play with 3 people and a standard deck of 52 playing cards (i.e. when you can't play Five-Hundred or otherwise). I have not heard of Oh Hell! until today, but I can see that it is probably the basis for this game.

----------------------------------

Six-Sixty (6-60) is a trick taking bidding game where you only score points if you take exactly the number of tricks that you bid.

Play begins by one player cutting the deck and revealing the card at the cut - this card determines the number of cards dealt and the trump suit for that round. For example, Ace Hearts is 1 card each with Hearts as trumps; 5 Spades is 5 cards each with Spades as trumps; and Queen Diamonds is 12 cards each with Diamonds as trumps.

The player to the left of the person who cut shuffles and deals the cards and the player to the left of the dealer is the first person to bid on how many tricks they want to take that round. Bidding continues clockwise until it returns to the dealer. The "screw the dealer" rule is present: the dealer cannot bid a number which will cause the sum of all bids to equal the number of tricks for that round. For example, In a 3 player game with 5 tricks, player A bids 2, player B bids 2, dealer cannot bid 1 as (2 + 2 + 1) = 5 which means everyone could get their desired number of tricks.

If you take exactly the number of tricks that you bid you get 6 points plus the number of tricks that you took. For example, if you bid 3 tricks and won exactly 3, you will get 6 + 3 = 9 points. If you do not get the exact number of tricks that you bid you get no points.

The dealer from the previous round is the person who cuts in the new round.

Play continues until one player reaches a total of at least 60 points, thus the name Six-Sixty (6-60).

Tiebreaker: if two or more players both exceed 60 points in one round, the player with the highest score wins. If two or more players exceed 60 points and are tied then whoever bid the most tricks in the final round wins and if this is still a tie you can go back to the previous rounds to determine the winner; or just play another round - it's fun :)

----------------------------------

One concept that is popular from our games of 6-60 that I haven't seen mentioned is the calling out of whether the number of tricks desired is under or over the number of tricks available. In our games, when the total number of tricks desired is less than the number of tricks available it's an "undercall"; the opposite is an "overcall". Overcalls are much more aggressive rounds, whereas undercalls will often result in people wanting to ditch more high valued cards. In our games the scorer will note this by providing players with the status of undercall/overcall. For example, in a 5 trick round 3 players bid 3, 1, 2 - this is a 1 overcall; in a 10 trick round 4 players bid 2, 2, 1, 2 - this is a 3 undercall.

5-player variant: You can quite easily extend this game to 5 players by re-cutting the deck if you draw a face card; I have never played it with 6 or more and feel it is best (less random) at 3 or 4.

Such a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting! I'll have to give this a try in the rare event that we have no board games we want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.