Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Diamant» Forums » General

Subject: Square cards and sleeves, what is the experience like for others? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

So I got to play my new version of Diamant tonight. I have to say I did not enjoy shuffling my sleeved square cards. I don't have any other experience with square cards I've sleeved so I guess I expected it to be similar to when I shuffle my normal rectangular cards. Instead I had cards try to slide into other sleeves and some that wanted to slide right out of their sleeves.

Is this normal for other people too? Is it a thing with all squared cards that have been sleeved, or is it due to my Mayday card sleeves instead?

Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mayday standard or premium? If standard, those sleeves are more flexible/flimsy so they tend to cause the problems you mentioned.

I put Fantasy Flight sleeves on mine and have no issues. Then again I don't riffle shuffle these since it's so hard to do with small square cards. I do a mix of overhand and weave shuffles. Weave is really easy to do with sleeves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
Mayday standard or premium? If standard, those sleeves are more flexible/flimsy so they tend to cause the problems you mentioned.

I put Fantasy Flight sleeves on mine and have no issues. Then again I don't riffle shuffle these since it's so hard to do with small square cards. I do a mix of overhand and weave shuffles. Weave is really easy to do with sleeves.


Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'll have to check later and see if they were premium or not.

I don't riffle shuffle my sleeved cards. Actually I sleeve cards to get away from riffle shuffling at all. I use the "mash" technique of sliding two parts of the deck together.

What is the weave technique? I wonder if it might be another name for the mash one I use? If so I agree and it's usually why I sleeve cards that are shuffled often.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'll have to check later and see if they were premium or not.

I don't riffle shuffle my sleeved cards. Actually I sleeve cards to get away from riffle shuffling at all. I use the "mash" technique of sliding two parts of the deck together.

What is the weave technique? I wonder if it might be another name for the mash one I use? If so I agree and it's usually why I sleeve cards that are shuffled often.


I think weave and mash are the same, so I'm confused how you could be getting cards sliding into other cards' sleeves. You mash the sides together, not the top (open end) of 1/2 of the deck with the bottom of the other, right? Maybe you're not keeping the cards oriented the same way, in which case I could see that happening.

Don't have issues with cards sliding out of the sleeves either since I hold the cards with sleeves open side up or at least slightly up vs. sideways or downward so gravity keeps the cards in their sleeves.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray R.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this problem with the cards from Babel. It was difficult to keep them all oriented the same way so the weave/mash shuffle would end up tearing sleeves open. This is one of the reasons I now avoided buying games with square cards*.

For some games (e.g. Cat Box and Viceroy) it doesn't matter much because the cards don't get ordered during play. We "shuffle" by making a few piles and draw from them randomly.

For games like Babel were the cards need to be properly randomized, we cut the deck a few times to hide the location of things and then take the whole stack, fan it out "pick a card" style and then draw from random** locations in the fan.

* While that might seem like a petty reason to avoid otherwise good games, with the size of my collection I kind of appreciate having silly excuses to avoid buying something

* Or as random as the human mind is able to be
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah as Ray said it's hard to orientate the cards so the open end is all facing the same way. Through regular playing this is just something I've noticed doesn't come naturally. I started fixing the orientation last night, but then got self conscious as it was taking more time and we really just wanted to shuffle and then get back into the cave.

If a rectangular card is upside in my deck I can still make the mash shuffle work and the cards don't slip out. But with these ones even picking a card up off the desk, or gathering them together, a card might start to slip out of the sleeve. Something I've never seen happen before.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
venrondua wrote:
Yeah as Ray said it's hard to orientate the cards so the open end is all facing the same way. Through regular playing this is just something I've noticed doesn't come naturally. I started fixing the orientation last night, but then got self conscious as it was taking more time and we really just wanted to shuffle and then get back into the cave.

If a rectangular card is upside in my deck I can still make the mash shuffle work and the cards don't slip out. But with these ones even picking a card up off the desk, or gathering them together, a card might start to slip out of the sleeve. Something I've never seen happen before.


Yeah, if the cards are facing different directions you're gonna have a hard time with a mash shuffle by nature of the square cards being able to face 4 different ways in the deck instead of 2 ways for a rectangular card.

I keep the cards oriented the same way during play by putting myself in charge of revealing the cards (always flipping them over the same way) as well as collecting and shuffling them at the end of the round. Obviously you need to orient all the cards the same way before the game, but you only need to do that once ever, and from then on as long as you're consistent about how you flip and gather cards they'll stay facing the same way. It doesn't take any more time to do. I'm a bit OCD about keeping cards oriented the same way anyway, so it works for me. YMMV
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.