Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Baby Boomers: A Generation of Sociopaths rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
While writing a comment for another thread I came across this interview with the author of a book titled: "A Generation of Sociopaths: How the Baby Boomers Betrayed America"

http://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2017/03/08/bruce-gibney-socio...

It's an interesting read and view. I don't completely agree with these opinions, not necessarily because I think they're wrong, but because at least in the interview they seem to be just that -- opinions.

I recommend to read it in full, but here are some quotes to spike your interest:

Quote:
The reason why I called them sociopaths is because as a generation — as individuals they are like every group, a mixed bag. But as a generation, they display the classic clinical indicators of antisocial personality disorder, which used to be known in a less PC way as sociopathy. So for example improvidence is a key sociopathic indicator. And we can see that in the national data based on cohort savings levels and national savings levels, which have been in significant decline since the 1970s when the boomers first entered the workforce. We can also see it in the national debt, which on a gross basis was just under 35 percent of GDP when I was born and is now at 105 percent of GDP and projected to exceed its World War II levels. That's about [as] improvident as you you can get.
Quote:
[...] the boomers are extremely high consumers of TV. There were some other odd aspects of their upbringing, including exposure to relatively high levels of environmental lead. It was the only generation where bottle feeding was a majoritarian practice. But I think one of the other critical factors was that, especially for the first two-thirds of the baby boomers, they were raised in a time of what seemed like effortless prosperity where the economy growth, you know, something like 3 percent. [...] The United States more or less leaped from one great success to another, and that conditioned them to believe that success would be effortless.
Quote:
[...] the odd thing is that the boomers actually have higher rates of divorce than even their children at comparable points in the marriage.
Quote:
As for the 1960s, I think it's time that we dispense with this meretricious rebranding that's gone on — that it was a time of sort of unalloyed moral victories on the part of the boomers. Curiously, it was actually people under 30, that's to say the boomers in the 1960s, who were most pro-war, and that was in part because many boomers had no real expectation that they would serve thanks to the system of deferments and the deferments and exemptions were of course the fault of prior generations. But the system of deferments shifted the burden toward the disadvantaged. I've also gotten some pushback about, 'Well, didn't we rally for civil rights and the environment and any number of other things?' But the chronology for that sort of myth of boomer goodness simply doesn't work. You know, Brown v. Board of Education was not decided by 14-year-olds, and that would have been the oldest boomer at the time. It was decided by nine old white men on the Supreme Court. The Clean Air Act that was passed in 1963. Again, that's not a boomer victory.
Quote:
But because Social Security and Medicare consumes a large fraction of the budget and will consume most of the discretionary budget over the next 20 years, if the boomers can win on this single issue they [win] on every other issue. So, if there is no room in the budget left over after paying out these entitlements for research and development or for funding free public higher education, something that hasn't existed since the boomers themselves were in in college, or for remediating the climate, then the nation loses on all these issues and the boomers win on the single issue that they're most concerned about which is entitlements.

In short: Old people of today are all entitled, lazy, drug-addicted, irresponsible underachievers who don't care about anyone but themselves.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
I am one of the older Baby Boomers because I was born in Oct., 1946.

I read your quotes and the 1st few paragraphs of the article.

I call Bullshit. Right off the bat he makes a totally ridiculous claim that it was Baby Boomers who caused the national debt to get out of control. But, that started with Pres. Reagan in 1979 or 80.
. . At that time I was 32 years old. I didn't vote for Reagan and I wasn't in Congress either. In fact in 1979 there were very few Baby Boomers currently in Congress.
. . He [the author] says that Boomers can't take much credit for Brown vs Board of Ed., the Civil Rights Act, or the Voting Rights Act, etc.; but then turns around and blames the Boomers for all that has gone wrong in the US since 1960.

I would claim that the things he says the Boomers did were in fact imposed on them by their elders until at least the early 90s. And after that it was a result of trends continuing because of the power structure.

I disliked or hated the way the nation was going but as just 1 man I couldn't stop it. Take the "Tax Revolt" that started in Calif. in about 1970 when Reagan became Gov. of Calif. It started with property taxes and then became all taxes. In 1970 I was 24 years old. How many Boomers in Calif. owned houses in Calif. in 1970? Very few. It was older people not Boomers who did the Tax Revolt, Boomers were too young to have any political power then.

I stopped reading to post this at this point. It is all Bullshit. It was done TO us buy our elders, not done BY us to the next generations.

To make a few of my own points. Pres. Reagan smashed the Air Traffic Controllers Union which signaled the erosion of labor laws and the erosion continued. Again, Boomers were too young to be blamed for that. The people in power were all older, our elders.
. . But, we, our children, and grandchildren have borne the brunt of the effects of this. Productivity [measured in $$/worker-hr] has continued to go up (maybe gained a little speed) since then while wages [both are inflation adjusted] have been flat. This means that despite globalization US made products have been sold at prices that were higher than necessary to pay the workers what they were earning. The extra profit was not paid to the workers, it went into the pockets of the top 10% or 5% of the people. This starved the Boomers and their children of income and caused many of the ills he blames on Boomers. If wages had gone up at 2%/yr for about 40 yrs. all wages would be over double what they are now. And because productivity has gone up that much prices would not be much different.
. . Again, Bullshit.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Dearlove
United Kingdom
Isleworth
Middx
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just missed out on the retire at 55 and be better off than my parents were when they were working lifestyle.
But
I am living in a completely paid for house I couldn't afford if I started again.
My kids see no way they will ever own property where they grew up.
A friend of mine just saw his childhood home, once occupied by two teachers and two kids who could pay the mortgage, sold for £1.5 million.I think Baby boomers took too much and are continuing to take. They are now expecting the young to pay for extending their lifetimes after they have ceased to be productive.

6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
I call Bullshit. Right off the bat he makes a totally ridiculous claim that it was Baby Boomers who caused the national debt to get out of control. But, that started with Pres. Reagan in 1979 or 80.
. . At that time I was 32 years old. I didn't vote for Reagan and I wasn't in Congress either. In fact in 1979 there were very few Baby Boomers currently in Congress.

But the Baby Boomers voted for Reagan. According to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_ele...

Reagan beat Carter 54 to 37 in the 30–44 years-old age bracket and they were tied among the younger groups.

When they were old enough to pay income tax, the Baby Boomers voted for the guy promising to reduce their taxes.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
crescent_gamer wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
I call Bullshit. Right off the bat he makes a totally ridiculous claim that it was Baby Boomers who caused the national debt to get out of control. But, that started with Pres. Reagan in 1979 or 80.
. . At that time I was 32 years old. I didn't vote for Reagan and I wasn't in Congress either. In fact in 1979 there were very few Baby Boomers currently in Congress.

But the Baby Boomers voted for Reagan. According to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_ele...

Reagan beat Carter 54 to 37 in the 30–44 years-old age bracket and they were tied among the younger groups.

When they were old enough to pay income tax, the Baby Boomers voted for the guy promising to reduce their taxes.

Your data point is not good enough.

As an oldest Boomer I said I was 34 in 1980. Your data point goes from 30 to 44 year olds. That is 5 years of Boomers and 10 years of their elders. So, only 1/3 to 1/2 of the group you pointed at were actually Boomers, 1/2 to 2/3 were not. The data can't be used to attack Boomers because most of the people who were in that group were not Boomers.

And the data for older voters in the link you provide said that Reagan did better with the 2 older groups 39 or 40 to 55 or 54%. Reagan won because of the older voters not the Boomers who were split between 2 of the brackets provided, as I said above.

Why do you *want* to blame Boomers? Why don't you blame the older voters? I think I *may* see a bias here.
. . But, then I'm obviously biased the other way. I'm also not a typical Boomer. I always believed the Club of Rome Report and wanted to control Population growth and economic growth from the early 70s. This would have gone a long way toward reducing Global Climate Change which may kill you/us all very soon. If the worst case turns out to be true.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
http://theboomerbible.com/
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How the Baby Boomers Destroyed Everything

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2017/02/26/how-baby-boomer...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 76 million baby boomers. In 1980 there were 164.6 million voting age population. All of the baby boomers could vote in 1980, thus they made up almost half of the voting age population and they voted very heavily for Reagan. So yeah, it was the baby boomers who elected Reagan, it was (and is) the baby boomers who made the Republicans the dominant political party in the US since 1980. Regardless of the baby boomer's opinion on who is to blame, they have made up very nearly 50% of the voting age population for the last two decades and since 1980 and their favorite political party has always been Republican. They have been the most selfish generation in this nation's history by far, and now we are going to have to support them in their old age even though they have ran up trillions of dollars in debt by voting themselves low taxes.

It is hard for us as a nation to make decisions to cut funding for social security and medicare, but realistically the people who will be collecting it now put this country in the position where we can't afford it, so I fail to see why we should raise taxes on the younger generations just to support a bunch of selfish dickheads who never cared about anyone but themselves.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Doherty
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
There are 76 million baby boomers. In 1980 there were 164.6 million voting age population. All of the baby boomers could vote in 1980, thus they made up almost half of the voting age population and they voted very heavily for Reagan. So yeah, it was the baby boomers who elected Reagan, it was (and is) the baby boomers who made the Republicans the dominant political party in the US since 1980. Regardless of the baby boomer's opinion on who is to blame, they have made up very nearly 50% of the voting age population for the last two decades and since 1980 and their favorite political party has always been Republican. They have been the most selfish generation in this nation's history by far, and now we are going to have to support them in their old age even though they have ran up trillions of dollars in debt by voting themselves low taxes.

It is hard for us as a nation to make decisions to cut funding for social security and medicare, but realistically the people who will be collecting it now put this country in the position where we can't afford it, so I fail to see why we should raise taxes on the younger generations just to support a bunch of selfish dickheads who never cared about anyone but themselves.


We should lower their SS payments and increase taxes, earmarking that money for retirement payments for people currently under 55 years of age.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Baby boomers benefited from cheap higher education and then voted for people that made higher education go from a scholarship system to a loan based system. This led to the ballooning cost of higher education. Thank you baby boomers for the college debt I'm still paying off 11 years later.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow...that's painting with kinda a big brush ain't it?

That's no more accurate than "Millenials: Snowflakes or Just Wusses?".

I think the author has a bit of an axe to grind.



Ferret
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric_Tama wrote:
Baby boomers benefited from cheap higher education and then voted for people that made higher education go from a scholarship system to a loan based system. This lead to the ballooning cost of higher education. Thank you baby boomers for the college debt I'm still paying off 11 years later.



Uh....I'm a boomer and I had a student loan. Not a big one and I paid it off #1, but as an adult it was my responsibility.

Personally I think student loans are way too easy to get and that's what led to the ballooning costs, but that's a different subject.



Ferret
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew T
msg tools
mbmbmb
I heard an interview with the book's author on NPR and he shockingly came off as kind of a douche.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:
Eric_Tama wrote:
Baby boomers benefited from cheap higher education and then voted for people that made higher education go from a scholarship system to a loan based system. This lead to the ballooning cost of higher education. Thank you baby boomers for the college debt I'm still paying off 11 years later.



Uh....I'm a boomer and I had a student loan. Not a big one and I paid it off #1, but as an adult it was my responsibility.

Personally I think student loans are way too easy to get and that's what led to the ballooning costs, but that's a different subject.



Ferret


I've got a decent job and the majority of my loans are paid off but for 10 years I was paying $600 a month. Of course it is because loans are so easy to get that tuition has exploded exponentially higher than inflation. It shouldn't be so easy for 18 year old kids to get debt that they will have for a very long time. I didn't know what I was signing up for at the time. One reason that people of my generation aren't buying houses is because of the student loan debt. Instead of paying $600 a month I could have built up a nice down payment for a house.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chengkai Yang
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric_Tama wrote:
Ferretman wrote:
Eric_Tama wrote:
Baby boomers benefited from cheap higher education and then voted for people that made higher education go from a scholarship system to a loan based system. This lead to the ballooning cost of higher education. Thank you baby boomers for the college debt I'm still paying off 11 years later.



Uh....I'm a boomer and I had a student loan. Not a big one and I paid it off #1, but as an adult it was my responsibility.

Personally I think student loans are way too easy to get and that's what led to the ballooning costs, but that's a different subject.



Ferret


I've got a decent job and the majority of my loans are paid off but for 10 years I was paying $600 a month. Of course it is because loans are so easy to get that tuition has exploded exponentially higher than inflation. It shouldn't be so easy for 18 year old kids to get debt that they will have for a very long time. I didn't know what I was signing up for at the time. One reason that people of my generation aren't buying houses is because of the student loan debt. Instead of paying $600 a month I could have built up a nice down payment for a house.



As someone currently paying over 1k/unit let me interject some other rationality back into this. I'm going to ignore the text book racket for now but things are WAY different now than it was when my dad was in school. We currently have stuff like paying for a shit ton of software licenses - windows, peoplesoft/SAP, autocad, a SHIT TON of AWS servers, email services, voip services, video services, a million wireless access points & running fiber everywhere across the campus, a large corporate scale firewall, fancy new projectors/screens, crestrons to integrate the new PC with your AV suite, matlab, mathmatica, library subscriptions for various journals, etc. These kinds of costs didn't exist 30 years ago, nor the staff required to maintain them. That's going to tack on justified infrastructure.

That's not even going full new age and getting a shit ton of 3d printers, raspberry pi/audruino boards or what have you for various classes. Biotech equipment, lab equipment, medical equipment, all the tech that pervades so much of higher education isn't cheap.

Now we even have online classes, my mom has been working full time as a librarian for over 30 years and it's still a full time job keeping up with in processing new books, documents, etc and digitizing older materials. Now you also need a giant backup database to house all this stuff, your student submissions, the teachers various projects, class material, plus reference it for cheating, etc. THat's not even accounting for the new admins to manage all of this and make sure it sort of flows. /rant

That said, there's still a massive amount of bloat and it's out of hand. Shit like $1.2M coaching salaries, the amount of admins needed to keep compliance with title 9, etc. "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy" is an issue that plagues almost every organization these days.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stiles
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Shaman
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"How to generate book sales with a shocking premise volume XXVII"

It's easy for me (gen X) to get in on both boomer and millenial hate, but this is just so goofily sensationalistic.
1 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khalid Shabazz
United States
NYC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmb
windsagio wrote:
"How to generate book sales with a shocking premise volume XXVII"

It's easy for me (gen X) to get in on both boomer and millenial hate, but this is just so goofily sensationalistic.

Sure, it's sensationalistic, but it got me two new insights:

1. Having one generation dominate all others numerically in a democracy -- not a good thing.

2. Republican Congress (vast majority of Baby Boomers) outright refusing to cooperate with Obama over concerns of fiscal conservatism was a farce. I get not wanting to create new debt but after almost all of it was to your benefit you refuse any debt going to others? Or to combat climate change? Seems to confirm that the generation as a whole has problems finding compromises.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
Avatar
mb
windsagio wrote:
It's easy for me (gen X) to get in on both boomer and millenial hate, but this is just so goofily sensationalistic.
As a Gen-X'er, child of divorce, and former latchkey kid, I feel like we're in the middle of two adults who are acting like angry toddlers yelling at each other, while we are left to pick up the pieces and be the adult in the room. Maybe that's always been our generational cross to bear.
4 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
All my sins are of omission
badge
The kung fu hippie from Gansta City
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife has a background in educational policy, and she has a deep loathing for the Boomers, because in her read on history they got an excellent public education while surfing a wave of affluence, and then did everything possible to choke resources out of the public schools in order to save themselves a few bucks.
11 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mb
JoshBot wrote:
My wife has a background in educational policy, and she has a deep loathing for the Boomers, because in her read on history they got an excellent public education while surfing a wave of affluence, and then did everything possible to choke resources out of the public schools in order to save themselves a few bucks.


They still do, just look at the voter line at your next millage election "my kids aren't in school anymore."
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
Avatar
mb
Eric_Tama wrote:
Baby boomers benefited from cheap higher education and then voted for people that made higher education go from a scholarship system to a loan based system. This lead to the ballooning cost of higher education. Thank you baby boomers for the college debt I'm still paying off 11 years later.


I was in college the year it happened. It was also the last time I voted Republican.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
crescent_gamer wrote:
Steve1501 wrote:
I call Bullshit. Right off the bat he makes a totally ridiculous claim that it was Baby Boomers who caused the national debt to get out of control. But, that started with Pres. Reagan in 1979 or 80.
. . At that time I was 32 years old. I didn't vote for Reagan and I wasn't in Congress either. In fact in 1979 there were very few Baby Boomers currently in Congress.

But the Baby Boomers voted for Reagan. According to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_ele...

Reagan beat Carter 54 to 37 in the 30–44 years-old age bracket and they were tied among the younger groups.

When they were old enough to pay income tax, the Baby Boomers voted for the guy promising to reduce their taxes.

OK, I get it, you hate my generation, the Baby Boomers. You blame us for many of your ills.

I can understand that. The major part of the slide happened on our watch which you might see as beginning about 1972 when I was 26.

However, I feel that that is unfair for 4 reasons.
. . 1] At 18 to 26 we were hardly in a position to influence national events all that much. The 2 or 3 generations ahead of us were in solid control of events. Blaming us when we were this old is like people now blaming the Millennials for the problems we are having changing course with regard to Global Warming.
. . 2] All generations can be divided into parts. The major ones are Repub. and Dems, plus minor parties. It was primarily the Repubs who you should be mad at. Some of them were Boomers is true, but more were in generations ahead of us.
. . 3] In the 1980 election for instance if you look at the data you will see that it was voters older than 34 who voted more for Reagan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_ele...
. . This article shows that Boomers were the voters who voted less for Reagan. the age range voting was --
. . . . a] 60+ = 40 for Carter and 54 for Reagan.
. . . . b] 45 - 59 = 39 to 55.
. . . . c] The 30 to 44 age range splits 2 generations. The Boomers were from age 30 - 34 and those from 35 - 44 were in the generation ahead.
. . . This group voted 37 to 54. This could show that these Boomers voted more like younger Boomers [who can see just below] than like the older voters that you saw above.
. . . . d] 22 - 29 = 43 to 43.
. . . . e] 18 - 21 = 44 to 43.
These last 2 age ranges were also Boomers. They voted against Reagan.
This data does not show that Boomers voted for Reagan. The part you can see clearly [without mixing 2 groups] is that Boomers voted slightly more for Carter. The mixed age range data show this group voting less for Reagan than the older age ranges. This is most easily explained by assuming that the Boomer part voted less strongly for Reagan than the older voters in this age range. We can't accurately say just what % of each sub-group voted for Carter and Reagan.

. . When Clinton was elected it is much more fair to blame what goes on on the Boomers. However, when we voted for Clinton we didn't know what we were going to get and Clinton was probably better than Bush 41 anyway. Clinton was better than Dole in the 96 election. But, yes Clinton and Obama were disappointments for me personally. I voted for a Dem and then for "Hope and Change", what I got [it turned out] was Repub. Lite or socially Liberal Repubs. No doubt this was because the 1% had convinced them that they had to move to the right to get funding to run their campaigns. It is not fair to blame Boomers for the actions of the 1%.
. . OTOH, it is fair to say that Boomers were led to the right by the media being bought and controlled by their Corp. masters.
. . Boomers began by opposing the War in Vietnam, they can be more Progressive again if they are given the right info by the media or over the net.


. . 4] Blaming all Boomers for the actions of the Repub Boomers combined with other Repubs is like blaming moderate Muslims for the actions of radical Muslims.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Tama
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Steve1501 wrote:
Blaming us when we were this old is like people now blaming the Millennials for the problems we are having changing course with regard to Global Warming.


Global warming is the biggest complaint I have about baby boomers. The baby boomer generation could have done something about it. They didn't, and continue to not.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.