Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Gordier
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently played a computerized version of Monopoly without all the bad house rules people use and rather enjoyed the trading and dealing involved.

However, Monopoly still has a lot of shortcomings like player elimination and maybe a little too much left to chance.

Is there a more streamlined game that gives the fun of making deals and buying/selling, is without some of the pitfalls, AND is light enough to play with non gamers?

What is today's Monopoly killer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Chinatown for the things you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobi Wagner
Germany
Ludwigsburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure if that's exactly what you're looking for, but Power Grid has a little of the Monopoly feeling, but in a good way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Chinatown is all about trading and deal making.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
MattG666 wrote:
... Monopoly without all the bad house rules people use and rather enjoyed the trading and dealing involved...

Most people have never played with the so-called 'house rules', this is a bit of a myth. Games have rules in the box for a reason.

In the same vein as monopoly the best option is Settlers of Catan, you still roll dice, you still build things that earn you stuff on future dice rolls, you still trade stuff, but its much faster and no overt player elimination. Just don't house rule anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben French
United Kingdom
Staines
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For a Monopoly replacement with dice, Lords of Vegas

For a Monopoly replacement without dice, Chinatown or Acquire
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pokey 64
United States
Niagara Falls
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried Back in the USSR? According to the designer, "It will be the new Monopoly." You're welcome.

*ducks*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
Corporate Pursuit it's an older game and I don't know how hard it would be to find, but I remember enjoying this more than Monopoly. Instead of buying properties you are buying stocks in companies. Also, you can't buy everything outright. The first time you land on a space you can only purchase the minimum share (10% or 25% depending upon the company IIRC). You have to land on it again to be able to buy more. In the meantime other people are collecting shares as well and when you land on a space you owe people according to how much of the company they own. Eventually everyone has part ownership in a lot of different companies so you start making deals, forming partnerships, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertBr wrote:
MattG666 wrote:
... Monopoly without all the bad house rules people use and rather enjoyed the trading and dealing involved...

Most people have never played with the so-called 'house rules', this is a bit of a myth. Games have rules in the box for a reason.

In the same vein as monopoly the best option is Settlers of Catan, you still roll dice, you still build things that earn you stuff on future dice rolls, you still trade stuff, but its much faster and no overt player elimination. Just don't house rule anything.

It's either a myth, or something that's very pervasive in the US, but not in Europe (or at least not in Sweden). I had never heard of people using weird house rules for Monopoly until I saw [geekurl=http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1250861/?ref_=nv_sr_2]Under the Boardwalk[/geekurl], but both in that film, and in other places I've seen since, it does seem like "Money on Free Parking" is indeed very common in the US.

I also immediately though of Catan. It's not a game I like myself, but that's because of the things that are similar to Monopoly, like trading and dice-rolling. It's definitely a lot better than Monopoly, so give it a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As others have said, Catan & Chinatown...

Although, the dice rolling in Catan is completely different than in Monopoly, it has the trading and upgrading of properties aspect..

Chinatown, doesn't have any dice rolling, but has the trading and upgrading also.. I play Chinatown with in-hand business tiles hidden though, otherwise the negotiating becomes too exacting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another game you might want to consider is Bohnanza. Now it looks nothing like Monopoly being a pure card game, but it has losts of buying, selling and negotiationg to win and is quite addictive and newb friendly. As soon as they get the do not reorder your hand thingy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
RobertBr wrote:

And of course all casual gamers (especially children, which most people are when they first play Monopoly) read the rules for themselves instead of being taught the game by other people...

I concur with Adrian - maybe people read the Monopoly rules in UK, but in US Monopoly is commonly played wrong, based on my personal experience playing the game various times in my life. I didn't know the correct rules until after college.

I recall there being a BGG poll about Monopoly house rules, so I just found it:

The 377th Edition of the TGIF Poll

Over 85% answering the poll (314 voters) have played with money on free parking, for example! 69% played without auctions! Etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take joy from your wins; take lessons from your losses.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
RobertBr wrote:

Everybody I know plays with house rules.

I've won bets from people saying, "it's in the rules" and then them reading the rules (perhaps for the first time) and discovering that what they were thinking was there isn't. Money on free parking is big. Landing exactly on Go, can't collect rent in jail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you don't mind video games, and have a Wii at your disposal, check out Fortune Street (the only entry in the series to come out in North America so far). It has a number of different board layouts, and both a "basic" game and "advanced" game. The advanced game adds things like a stock market, where you can potentially make money from other players collecting rent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Monopoly: My Little Pony is clearly the modernized monopoly killer you are looking for. Once you play this version, you'll never go back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ludvig Stigsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For Sale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few reasonable choices out there but my top two are:
acquire - as mentioned above. It has that classic game feel and I think does a great job at representing a market that the players influence to some extent and you have to buy and sell at the right times. I'm disappointed in how resistant non gamers are to it, its because the board is representational and people just seem to not like that.

Monopoly Deal Card Game - I have found success with too but for a very different play style. This is a filler to be played with non gamers. Its fast enough that I don't find myself bothered too much by its flaws. Its recognizable enough for anyone to pick up quickly. I think it did a great job of boiling down monopoly.

edit add: for sale is a good one too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Spenner
United States
Waynesville
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"The game is afoot!"
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertBr wrote:
MattG666 wrote:

Quite literally everyone I've ever played Monopoly with has used house rules. Most don't know they're not official. I didn't, either, until high school or even college. I'm not even sure I've ever read the rules since it was just a game that was taught to you by family when you were young.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wahl
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HvKjr wrote:
RobertBr wrote:
MattG666 wrote:

Quite literally everyone I've ever played Monopoly with has used house rules. Most don't know they're not official. I didn't, either, until high school or even college. I'm not even sure I've ever read the rules since it was just a game that was taught to you by family when you were young.

It's important to remember that in the US, Monopoly was a folk game called the Landlord's Game that existed over three decades before a version of it was published as Monopoly, and was played on hand drawn boards. Monopoly officialdom was irrelevant except to the Parker Brothers marketing department. Before Parker Brothers, the game had no standard, and was entirely made up of house rules around a mostly consistent core invented by Lizzie Magie.

The official version is also made up of house rules, just a different selection than many of families in the US grew up with. For decades, probably half of board games published were different versions of Monopoly; not just differently-branded or themed versions, but with wildly divergent rules. They all retained most of the core of throwing two dice to move around a circular track, being able to purchase most spaces on that track, drawing cards when landing on other spaces, receiving money from the bank each time around, being able to fine players who land on the spaces you own, and being able to raise that fine by improving those spaces. Everything else has always been up for grabs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave B.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HvKjr wrote:

I just love how everybody complains that Monopoly is too long, and then continues pumping money into the economy via the Free Parking space.

This is always a good read:

http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue10/CampaignRealMonopoly1.ht...

(Slightly coarse language warning, but nothing a civilized adult can't handle.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MattG666 wrote:
What is today's Monopoly killer?

Consider a comparison to The Market of Alturien for its gameplay. It is listed in BGG as a 2007 game, but is based upon an earlier game City from 1988.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
RobertBr wrote:

Everybody I know plays with house rules.

I've won bets from people saying, "it's in the rules" and then reading the rules (perhaps for the first time) and discovering that what they were thinking was there isn't. Money of free parking is big. Landing exactly on Go, can't collect rent in jail.

Same here. Now if someone wants to quibble, I've never had casuals pull this game off the shelf and say, "Let's play Monopoly. We use the following house rules..." Rather, there is always some oddball variant rule that came from who-knows-where that everyone around the table except me assumes is natural and non-controversial. The upshot is that I've never played Monopoly RAW, and since I would never suggest this game myself, it is unlikely that I ever will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobertBr wrote:
MattG666 wrote:

I didn't know the correct rules of Monopoly until well after college. Finally played it the right way somewhat recently. It was still a miserable game, but at least it was a much quicker miserable game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want overlook gameplay and just focus on ubiquity, then you can use the BGG menu above to discover the Most Owned Games:

Catan
Carcassonne

Misc -> Stats -> Top 10s -> Most Owned Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.