Gloomhaven» Forums » Rules

Subject: Revealing monster decks/stats before scenario? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The official FAQ says this:

"What is the exact order of my choices at the beginning of a scenario in terms of battle goals, ability cards, and equipped items?

The first thing you should do when starting a scenario (after going through a Road Event when applicable), is look in the scenario book to get the map tiles set up, all the monsters you will be fighting prepared, and apply any negative scenario effects. Next, you should deal battle goals and choose one. After choosing your battle goals, then you can decided which items you would like to equip from the ones you own (adding in -1 cards to you attack modifier deck when applicable) and which ability cards you would like to start with from the pool of those you have available to you."

I think it's reasonably well accepted that players choose their starting hexes after seeing all enemies in the first room. However, I can't find something in the rules/FAQ about whether the monster ability card stacks and stat envelope should be setup for ALL rooms at the start.

Of course the host will know anyway, but for anyone else, it may be a useful to know if there are say, undead / demons in a level.

Is it perhaps something Isaac intends to leave ambiguous so different groups can set their own level of secrecy and immersion?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Officially, you are supposed to know what other monsters are in the scenario so that you can plan your decks accordingly.

We dont do this as we find it adds to the immersion. We dont really look at the monsters in the scenario except for the first room, and then reveal new ones each time a door is openend. And because I have the monsters in sealed envelopes, the first time we come across a new monster, we open it there and then.

It adds to the game for us, but I realise this makes it harder to bring the right cards with you based on the monsters you are fighting, but its been ok for us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Officially, you are supposed to know what other monsters are in the scenario so that you can plan your decks accordingly.

We dont do this as we find it adds to the immersion. We dont really look at the monsters in the scenario except for the first room, and then reveal new ones each time a door is openend. And because I have the monsters in sealed envelopes, the first time we come across a new monster, we open it there and then.

It adds to the game for us, but I realise this makes it harder to bring the right cards with you based on the monsters you are fighting, but its been ok for us.

Thanks! Silly question, when you say "officially" are you speaking as one of the designers or is there a FAQ entry / Isaac post I missed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not the designer, but I'm the one who created the official rules video linked on the front cover of the rulebook

The rule you are looking for is on page 5. Although the image on page 4 only shows 2 of the 3 monsters, all 3 should be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
I'm not the designer, but I'm the one who created the official rules video linked on the front cover of the rulebook

The rule you are looking for is on page 5. Although the image on page 4 only shows 2 of the 3 monsters, all 3 should be there.

Good call! From page 5:

"All monster statistic cards  , with their
corresponding standees, and monster ability
cards  set to one side in individual shuffled decks"

It does indeed say "all", rather than "all revealed". That should make setup and planning a bit more streamlined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
It does indeed say "all", rather than "all revealed". That should make setup and planning a bit more streamlined.

Unless you want to play like us, which we much prefer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Stock
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually you must take a look at the monster setup besides the first room, maybe just a slight glimpse, but you must. E.g. we just played one scenario with the goal: "Kill all monsters". As the last room was empty (just one treasure chest inside), we technically would have played against the rules if we had killed everything in the room before and then opened the door (realizing: "Oops, we made the goal already last round").

But you dont have too look at the monster decks. So what we actually do is: Dont check the monster decks, one builds up the room, reads the fluffs and the special rules and makes the setup of the first room. Also only he knows what is (approx.) in the other rooms, but he wont tell the others, except vaguely hints, like: There are many, there are none, there are few. We dont check the monster decks, but for flow of playing, we know the types of the monster. I.e. we have the decks prepared next to the board.

This way we have (for our group) the right mix between immersion, information and practicability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.