Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Massimo Paini
Italy
Romanengo
Cremona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game works well in two players? It is still fun and valid? Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laetitia DS
Belgium
Andenne
flag msg tools
publisher
Hi Massimo,

There are two main feelings about Magic Maze in 2-player games :

1. It's slightly easier with 2 players, but as you increase the difficulty (more tiles), it is compensated by the fact that you can move only 2 pawns at the same time (you can make more simultaneous moves with more players), and you still have only 15 minutes if you are very good at managing the sand timer. So you need to get better at coordinating your actions, very quickly.

2. As each player controls more actions, some tend to thing "If the other player is waiting, then he expects me to do something"… and sometimes, it's not the case : it happens quite often that both players are analysing the board and just don't know what they should do.
Also, with more actions to control, there are more options, but players still have only 2 eyes to examine the board and evaluate the situation of the game. Moreover, when the other uses the "do something" pawn, you don't know which action it targeted, nor which pawn. So more possibilities, and more possibilities to do something that wasn't expected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I almost played this 2p yesterday, and I could have given my own experience, too.

I can tell you this, Massimo: 1p is very challenging. I think this is a game that will feel a bit different with different player counts, but you still always have that frantic rush to be observant, efficient, and strategic about where those available hourglass spaces remain after you commit the theft.
ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Signore
Italy
Napoli
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's just me or the solo game is harder than the coop?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Angra wrote:
It's just me or the solo game is harder than the coop?
I certainly felt that way, but I started with the solo game. I will have to try it again soon, now that I've played with two different groups of players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
I'm curious how this plays with 2-players as I'm thinking about getting this one as a Christmas gift for my girlfriend for the two of us to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
rilos wrote:
I'm curious how this plays with 2-players as I'm thinking about getting this one as a Christmas gift for my girlfriend for the two of us to play.

i'll be filming a 2p runthrough of it this month with my wife. it works very well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nestor Ivanor
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
rilos wrote:

i'll be filming a 2p runthrough of it this month with my wife. it works very well

I'm interested to see how this works at two player as 70% of my plays are at 2 player.

I would've thought this game was suboptimal at lower player counts. I'm interested.

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius Friedrichs
Germany
Calw
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mb
rahdo wrote:
rilos wrote:

Thanks, that's good to know. Since it doesn't sound 'far away' I guess I'll hold off for now and wait until after I watched your video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
I played games with 2 to 5 players (until now only the easier scenarios). 2 to 4 worked very well.

I didn't really like that one action was doubles when we played it with 5 players. This could be a nice option, if one of the players is younger. I think 2 to 4 is the best way to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.