Assault of the Giants» Forums » Strategy

Subject: First play thoughts. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Urbanek

Ft lauderdale
Florida
msg tools
My first play through today with 4 people with frost and fire giants as NPCs.

Stone Giants:
Some things i noticed is that the stone giants player needs to expand quickly into 2-3 regions and ravage asap using movement, leader, attack, and then ravage to try and get 2-3 ravage toksns before first rest. its imperative that you get those 3 regions ravaged so that you can play the pox event to make future ravages worth more OP. If you cant get Pox out before your 2nd rest you will be behind most likely the other giants. I failed to get pox event the entire game and it crippled me greatly especially when the storm giant player came through the side of the map area onward to the desert wiping out my unit that was about to ravage the 3rd land. Empty regions fill up quickly with the opposition and its hard to muster up forces mid-late game to fight off an aggressive storm giants player so make sure you recruit at the every end to maximize your forces for when the storm giant players attempts to move towards the desert and they will move through your region as their 2nd event makes them go their.

Hill Giants:
The Hill Giants player is similar in that you want to get your Hill giants out of your starting area ASAP to utilize chief Guhs ability and recruit at the end of your command cards as well to put out a bunch of cheap giants you ll need em to fend off the higher tier giants. Trade away runes/items you dont need or cant score to other players in exchange for 2-3 food (if they have 3) and play stuff stuff when you have 4 food min. Once you get 5-6 combat dice don't be afraid to engage the storm or cloud giants as you ll gain more OP for killing their units then they yours.

Storm Giants:
you can only stack 3 giants in an area but they're really tough to bring down especially at the start of the game. Make the alliances as quick as you can to bring out meketon and then Bee line it for the desert before the other giants establish a presence there. Save up items for combat for when you make your move their. Once you have completed your 2nd event you can start bringing the pain down on the lesser giants or attacking the NPCs. If you're not harassed early-mid game storm giants dominate late game.

Cloud Giants:
Its all about plundering and trying to get those artifact cards. Trade with the lesser giants for their artifacts or force them to trade if need be. push lynn armaaal towards the lesser giants areas and support with your own giants or attack the NPCs as they are both next to you for quick OP gain before the other giants do. Careful of storm giants invading the smallfolk coastal areas near your starting zone.

FInal score was Storm G: 41, Hill G: 35, Cloud G:28 Stone G:18

Let me know what you guys think about your first play through

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'm going to have a detailed review up here in the next day, and my experience after a bunch of plays seems to mirror your first play in that the Stone giants are very weak while the Storm giants are very strong. Still very fun however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxlongstreet wrote:
I'm going to have a detailed review up here in the next day, and my experience after a bunch of plays seems to mirror your first play in that the Stone giants are very weak while the Storm giants are very strong. Still very fun however.

look forward to reading it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Okay, I put up my review on my blog here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/63351/overlong-review-ass...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.