Todd F
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy of Amun-Re from CoolStuff, Inc. and they included a different rulebook (marked "new rules") in the shipping box. The cover of the new rulebook is the same as the official rules PDF posted on BGG, but the cover of the original rules in the game box is different.

I'm just curious, what is the difference between the two rulebooks? Like, is the original one in the game box incorrect and should I ignore/discard it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glax wrote:
I just received my copy of Amun-Re from CoolStuff, Inc. and they included a different rulebook (marked "new rules") in the shipping box. The cover of the new rulebook is the same as the official rules PDF posted on BGG, but the cover of the original rules in the game box is different.

I'm just curious, what is the difference between the two rulebooks? Like, is the original one in the game box incorrect and should I ignore/discard it?

See my comment in another thread.

What I do know (and this is know, not guess, except as I note) is that there was a posted PDF of rules that was defective. Work was done to fix it. I don't know if the flawed rules got into any boxes, but that sounds like what happened.

How to check? Sorry, but the only quick check I have sounds a bit egotistical, but there it is. If my name is in the credits, it's the final rulebook. If not, not (except there was a draft that was pretty close to final that didn't, however I don't think that one will have been released). I did a bit of help on helping fix the defects, though of course Reiner Knizia was in charge. I don't know by what misunderstanding the unfinalised rules got thought to be final. But things that need that sort of finalising work when rules are rewritten is not unique to this case, or this publisher.

Anyone with two rulebooks could check that and find a more functional difference - that would probably help. (I could, except I'm not planning to deshrink my copy right now, I'm still using the original.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crookneck
United States
Portland
OR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dearlove wrote:
Anyone with two rulebooks could check that and find a more functional difference - that would probably help. (I could, except I'm not planning to deshrink my copy right now, I'm still using the original.)

I spotted a discrepancy: in the rules included with my copy of the game, for the end-of-age scoring, it says, "+5 VP if you have more Pyramids on one side of the Nile than any other player." However, in the rules PDF here in the Files section, it says, "+5 VP if you have the Province with the most Pyramids on any single side of the Nile." (So total pyramids on one side vs. the single Province with the most pyramids on one side.) Would appreciate hearing which is correct!

Edit: I should note that my copy did not come with a second rule set marked "new rules" - just one rulebook inside the game box.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Crookneck wrote:
Dearlove wrote:

I spotted a discrepancy: in the rules included with my copy of the game, for the end-of-age scoring, it says, "+5 VP if you have more Pyramids on one side of the Nile than any other player." However, in the rules PDF here in the Files section, it says, "+5 VP if you have the Province with the most Pyramids on any single side of the Nile." (So total pyramids on one side vs. the single Province with the most pyramids on one side.) Would appreciate hearing which is correct!

Edit: I should note that my copy did not come with a second rule set marked "new rules" - just one rulebook inside the game box.

You have the incorrect version of the rules. The PDF is correct: on each side of the Nile, it's 5 VP for the province with the most pyramids.

See the discussion in this thread (starting from the seventh post).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.