BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Card flipping game mechanic rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Williams
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
what are some tips on how flipping games work, i have a basic idea of what it does but maybe some tips that extends the simple card flip mechanic and adding more depth to it

i know there is memory type flipping game but is there anything else with more complexity?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
Check me out on Instagram: @WisdomForWizards
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a card game by Tasty Minstrel Games called, Flip City That uses card flipping to improve your deck as you continue to build it.

-----------------

If you're talking more in the design realm, you could use it as a sort of "level up" mechanic, or even as an attack/defense option.

Welcome to BGG btw!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so your looking for games where flipping is used but not in a memory related way? face down and face up, right? not a 180 rotation of a card to read from what was previously visible but upside down? (Pixel Tactics, if your looking for that
Granada
7 Wonders - you have a two sided board that you flip for added complexity, not really part of the game play though. Plenty of games do that
Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia - flips a few things on the board as a mystery bonus kinda thing
and plenty of exploration games do similar things to that where you don't know whats out there until you commit

any of that helpful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Already have an idea but those game do sound fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Proper-Lee
United States
Levittown
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try checking out how Fairy Tale handled this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
klz_fc wrote:
Try checking out how Fairy Tale handled this.

That looks like a good game to play but it looks a bit confusing with the different symbols for a card flip game, i am trying to have as little symbols as possible

probably a symbol for the villain/hero side and that's it

but hey i guess that makes the fairy tail game unique i suppose

ill probably have something like this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Williams
United Kingdom
Worcester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness includes this for spellcasting. The front of the card describes the spell; when you cast it, you flip the card and the reverse tells you how you go insane whilst casting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
*Is* there a basic idea behind card flipping? I've seen it used differently in several games.

Favorite one is where you physically toss a card onto the stack of other cards, and only those icons which haven't been covered are in play, score victory points, whatever.

Then there's this guy...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Williams
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Sam and Max wrote:
*Is* there a basic idea behind card flipping? I've seen it used differently in several games.

Favorite one is where you physically toss a card onto the stack of other cards, and only those icons which haven't been covered are in play, score victory points, whatever.

Then there's this guy...

that reminds me of a game i played in school, it involves tazo and we used to wack them on the floor and whatever is face up we kept..ruins the tazo though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.