Popular Tags: [View All]
David Lesouef
France
Ermont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B. Weaver:
"Trait: Weaver's Gyroballs only cause 1 fatigue".
What happens if Weaver choose High/Inside Tokens (Gyroball) but batter choose the same? Does Weaver fatigue 2 (He choose this 2 tokens and can't use his ace pitch)?

Southpaw Straw:
"Spitball: Set any S Pitch to C2. Before next pitch, roll the Control Die. On the result of a 1, Straw is ejected".
May Straw be ejected if I choose her Ace Pitch Tokens but I don't use her Spitball's ability (ie I roll B or C Pitch)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been awhile, but iirc, fatigue is expended regardless of what the batter guesses. So, Weaver fatigues 1.

With spitball, I'd say ejection is only possible if you opted to set the S pitch to C2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lesouef
France
Ermont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scottgun wrote:
It's been awhile, but iirc, fatigue is expended regardless of what the batter guesses. So, Weaver fatigues 1.
Yes, but technically Gyroball is not thrown, is it?
Rules says "When thrown (Ace Pitch), this ability automatically activates, unless canceled by the Batting Player accurately guessing its Direction AND Location".
When the Batting Player cancel the Ace Pitch's ability, does pitch stay a Gyroball, or is Gyroball an ability cancelled (in this case Weaver fatigues 2)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Ladson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
judograal wrote:
Scottgun wrote:
Yes, but technically Gyroball is not thrown, is it?
Rules says "When thrown (Ace Pitch), this ability automatically activates, unless canceled by the Batting Player accurately guessing its Direction AND Location".
When the Batting Player cancel the Ace Pitch's ability, does pitch stay a Gyroball, or is Gyroball an ability cancelled (in this case Weaver fatigues 2)?

I think you are right on second glance. Since the fatigue benefit is tied to the ace pitch, batter's guess cancels the ace pitch and therefore the benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Louder
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OFFICIAL RULING:
With ClubHouse Expansion coming out soon, the rulebook got a much needed update. Very few rules were changed, but a few were clarified. This is one of those.

The official ruling now is that the Ace pitch is still considered to be thrown, the batter simply cancels the Ace pitch ability when they guess both pitch tokens (knowing the pitch is coming makes it ineffective).

So, for Weaver, he still throws his Gyroball BUT only takes 1 Fatigue as it's his TRAIT ability. His Gyroball ability never triggers.

As for Straw she still would throw a Spitball BUT her ejection ability is with her Ace pitch, so she loses that complete ability.

This also serves to clarify that if a pitcher's ACE pitch is correctly predicted, fatigue still occurs because the pitch was still selected and thrown.

So with that 1 clarification we hope to have answered both issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lesouef
France
Ermont
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
getlouder wrote:
The official ruling now is that the Ace pitch is still considered to be thrown, the batter simply cancels the Ace pitch ability when they guess both pitch tokens (knowing the pitch is coming makes it ineffective).
Thank you!

getlouder wrote:
As for Straw she still would throw a Spitball BUT her ejection ability is with her Ace pitch, so she loses that complete ability.
My question for Straw was different. If i choose to throw a Spitball (ace pitch) but i roll B or C pitch, should i roll the die for ejection?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think your confusing the pitcher’s ability with the pitcher’s trait.
The trait is a passive, thus it is always active.
The Gyroball ability only activates when the pitcher sets the two tokens to high and Inside.
All of the above totally disregards what the batter does. If the batter guesses the gyroball, then the advantages of that pitch are ignored, but the trait is a trait of the pitcher, not an effect of the pitch itself. The batter may cancel any advantage Weaver may have when throwing a gyroball, but nonetheless he will always fatigue just 1 when throwing that ball, because it’s his signature pitch and it comes quite naturally to him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmb
Darrel’s answer on Straw’s Ace Pitch was a bit confusing indeed.

What I think he meant is that the Ace Pitch is still considered thrown (since you set both tokens as such and so you take fatigue accordingly), but the ejection stuff is tied to actively using the Spitball’s ability to change a Strike pitch to a Corner 2. If you don’t do that, the ejection part isn’t taken into effect either; you only get the fatigue.
Also, if the batter correctly guesses your Spitball, you CAN’T use its ability, so, again, you don’t either roll for ejection not can set an S-pitch to C2, since the guess cancels out the Ace Pitch effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.