Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Giusti
United Kingdom
London
Greater London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Just got my KS copy of Anachrony over the weekend, and gave it two initial plays. Really an amazing game.

I've felt something that I wasn't expecting to upon receiving the game. Basically, I feel that the minis are a bit overkill with respect to both size and packaging.

Size: The minis are huge! The worker chits are nearly swallowed up by the minis. It seems like they could have been 2/3 of the size and still be fully functional. Furthermore, they cause the box to way a ton. 6-7 kg seems like too much.

Packaging: Due to the size of the minis and their weight, the game box is too heavy to carry casually. I'm hesitant to lug it to my local game night due to its size and weight. (I feel similar about Scythe BTW.)

Advice: I feel like a CMON solution might have been better here (ex: Blood Rage). If I were to offer the KS campaign myself, I would have sent the backers two boxes. One for the cardboard bits (in a standard 13" box) and one for the minis. This way, if you need to go light (i.e. cardboard only), you can. If you want to bust out the minis, you could too. I realise this could have a financial impact, but I believe this is how the game will manifest in retail anyways.

Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Dawson
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fine observation but I prefer to be able to carry the entire game with just one box.
Furthermore, the minis have their plastic holder you can take out to carry lesse weight, don't you think this is a good compromise?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's actually quite interesting to me that Mindclash decided to go with a single big box for the Leader Box. I would assume that the Follower Box (without the minis) is smaller? Or is there just more air in it?

Personally, I don't much mind the size, but then I'm mostly playing big games at home, since I'm the one with the biggest table in my boardgame group (as far as I know).

But I do need to rearrange my bookshelf. No way am I laying this thing down just because it would be easier. I'm going to display it, standing proud, front and centre!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheGiuce wrote:
Just got my KS copy of Anachrony over the weekend, and gave it two initial plays. Really an amazing game.

I've felt something that I wasn't expecting to upon receiving the game. Basically, I feel that the minis are a bit overkill with respect to both size and packaging.

Size: The minis are huge! The worker chits are nearly swallowed up by the minis. It seems like they could have been 2/3 of the size and still be fully functional. Furthermore, they cause the box to way a ton. 6-7 kg seems like too much.

Thoughts?

As I have the game and carried it to the club (I replaced my Legendary Alienbox , which has both Alien and Predator in it and is bigger and heavier) along with three other std games and 4 small filler games (Tiny Epic Galaxies etc).
So for me Size was not an issue and Anachrony + all expansions fits in the box.
You can leave the minis and just use the Hex tiles which was the cheaper Follower box pledge which translates to the Retail Box , the Leader box added the Pioneers of New Earth-Anachrony - Exosuit Commander Pack

TheGiuce wrote:
Advice: I feel like a CMON solution might have been better here (ex: Blood Rage). If I were to offer the KS campaign myself, I would have sent the backers two boxes. One for the cardboard bits (in a standard 13" box) and one for the minis. This way, if you need to go light (i.e. cardboard only), you can. If you want to bust out the minis, you could too. I realise this could have a financial impact, but I believe this is how the game will manifest in retail anyways.

Follower vs Leader So Apart from leaving space for the Anachrony - Exosuit Commander Pack expansion in the box they did what you suggested. All you have to take out is the Minis Tray and any expansion boards you don't want to take. This translates to about an extra 30mm of box depth.

Butttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt.

Everyone who played or saw it loved the minis - this is a euro with theme , I would say most Euros theme doesnt work as you switch off from it. for me but not for all that ruins it for me , I play them but would prefer Ameritrash or Wargames such as a Coin game Labyrinth: The War on Terror, 2001 – ?.

I played Trickerion: Legends of Illusion at an Expo and was impressed with Euro + Theme that is not overcome by mechanics. Yep one of the guys playing kept hurrying everyone and focused on VP but it does have a narrative and Mindclash seem to bring that to Euros.

I played Scythe and thought it would but for me it soon dissipated into a meeple , resource collection and VP slugfest. Scythe was played a lot when it came out but I haven't seen it at the club for ages, so it beats me why it is so popular, its a good game but there are lots of other Euros that are good games.

This was Anachronys first outing at our game club and the Minis were not an issue size or otherwise for anyone, in fact they were a big draw for those playing and everyone looking on. They lured them in and then they watched the actual game play. Lots of positive comments.

Picture of live play here:-
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1740611/first-game-club-nig...

My thoughts are that it is really being picky and personally I don't hold CMON up as any sort of standard , apart from a big company pre-funding boxes of reasonable quality minis with generally average games and the odd great one.
Ironic that you think 30 minis are an issue when CMON don't get out of bed unless it has 5 times that many , regardless of if they are needed. whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Germany
Bückeburg
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
get off my avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
After you push out all tokens, the weight drops to 4,8 kg.
if you pack it the right way, the minis also fit into the big box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Love
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big mini fan so I almost did not back it because of the minis. But the game theme, play and other components were too alluring to let this one pass up. I leave the minis at home which provides tons of extra space. Hopefully, I will create an insert to organize and utilize the remaining components with all that extra space the minis occupied.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
getchristylove wrote:
I'm not a big mini fan so I almost did not back it because of the minis. But the game theme, play and other components were too alluring to let this one pass up. I leave the minis at home which provides tons of extra space. Hopefully, I will create an insert to organize and utilize the remaining components with all that extra space the minis occupied.

There was an entire option, $20 cheaper, with no minis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy Love
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If the other option came with the leader sleeve, I would have been all over that. But I wanted the sleeve and resolved the extra cost by knowing the minis may increase the resale value with those who for some reason like minis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Moore
England
Birmingham
flag msg tools
designer
badge
'This War Without an Enemy'
mbmbmbmbmb
Person ally, I think the Leader sleeves are pointless, from both a practical and an aesthetic point of view. The miniatures are also over the top - I wish I hadn't bought them now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Tuzzi
Italy
Milan
Lombardy
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm, loving the minis.
I don't see it a big problem carrying a "heavy" box around; I'll probably play at home mot of the times and if I have to take the box with me, I have a big backpack and the box perfectly fits inside.

Having the minis and all the additional modules that fits inside a single box is a great thing and it compensates for the little bulkiness of the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexa Elvrayen

California
msg tools
Man they warned us about the size and relative scale of the minis, idk how exactly they could be a surprise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
It's actually quite interesting to me that Mindclash decided to go with a single big box for the Leader Box. I would assume that the Follower Box (without the minis) is smaller? Or is there just more air in it?

Personally, I don't much mind the size, but then I'm mostly playing big games at home, since I'm the one with the biggest table in my boardgame group (as far as I know).

But I do need to rearrange my bookshelf. No way am I laying this thing down just because it would be easier. I'm going to display it, standing proud, front and centre!

As promised:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.