Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello.

I was thinking of a closed auction variant. During the auction phase, the active player chooses which share to auction as normal but instead of starting an open auction, all players take their dials similar to this:

and set the amount they are willing to pay for the share. They reveal their dials at the same time and the player who bid highest gets the share. However he/she only pays the second highest bid + 1.

Example: 3 player game; P1 chooses NASDAQ. He sets his dial to 15, P2 25, P3 5 (he is a cheapskate). When the dials are revealed, P2 wins the auction but he only has to pay P1's 15+1=16.

Here is where I need your help; I know I could do this with a d6 + d10 per player but I like the dials in the picture above. Anyone know where I could get dials like these?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulPhoenix wrote:
I was thinking of a closed auction variant.

Why? I'm just curious. A second-price auction should produce a similar result to open bidding, it seems an unnecessary change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the auctions always takes too long in my group I'm trying to speed the process up. There is a lot of back-and-forth with the open auction, it's fun if you are in it, it's meaningless if you are out. A closed auction would make it short and suspenseful for everyone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh. I feel you underestimate how long people can take to decide what to bid in a closed auction. I don't think it would be faster. If everyone can quickly decide on their bid in the closed-auction format, then the open auction doesn't take any longer, because they just bid up to that level, and not any higher.

Anyway, if it's faster for your group, I don't see it would do any harm to play that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jabagi K
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Oh. I feel you underestimate how long people can take to decide what to bid in a closed auction. I don't think it would be faster. If everyone can quickly decide on their bid in the closed-auction format, then the open auction doesn't take any longer, because they just bid up to that level, and not any higher.

Anyway, if it's faster for your group, I don't see it would do any harm to play that way.

I'm thinking of adding a 1 minute sand timer as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.