Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J Stet
United States
Chaska
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alright everyone, I've been commenting with the rest of you in the "great ideas" thread, but now I want to focus on a new series of campaigns for the game. Considering I don't have the game yet and I there isn't a lot know about the current list of missions, I think the best thing would be a general idea of how the missions flow.

the idea I originally had, from the other post, was related to the courage rescue of Leftenant Smith. So related to this, what is the next step?

first, Apollo has mentioned the current mission book is built around the idea that if the British faction wins the first game, then the second one is different than if the Pirates had won the first game. While I'm interested in exploring this, my concern is how many game am I going to have to play to reach a specific 4th/5th mission. For example, if I really want to play up to and including the mission that would follow 3 consecutive Pirate wins, how many times am I going to have to play? Game 1 - pirates win, game 2 British wins...crap, start over. Game 1 - pirates win, game 2 pirates win, game 3 british win...craps, start over.

Obviously I could just skip to whatever mission I want, but is there a way to do a chain of campaigns effectively in a two player game?

I grew up playing Warcraft, warcraft 2, starcraft, etc. I enjoyed the campaigns where you pick and faction and work through to completion. But in those game, the game is against a computer, not another player.

Going back to the scenario I started working on, there are elements for the missions in a style similar to the way Apollo described his mission book - for example:

Mission 1 - attack on british ship and Captain is captured
Mission 2 (if pirates win) - attempt to rescue british captain
Mission 3 (if pirates win) - having learned the route of a gold shipment from the captured captain, the pirates attack the merchant ship.

considering the second and third missions are currently based on pirates winning, is there a way that a story of missions could be written, similar to the way I used to play a warcraft type series of missions, that stuck with one faction's attempt for continued success that would still be fun for both players? I would think if the goal is for one faction to win each round, that is going to get old for the other faction who is rewarded with their victory by playing the mission over again until they lose (and the pirate's win - thus advancing the story).

I've thought about a storyline that continued a specific path no matter the victor, but I don't think that would be fun either as there really is no benefit to succeeding in the mission since the next story would be the same anyways.

Ultimately, I'm looking for a way to do a series of campaigns built around a continuous succession of Pirate victories that is still fun for the British player, and vice versa. What are some thoughts on this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ji Atkinson
Australia
Waratah West
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
best way to do this would be to create a tree. with missions that result in pirates win and British win. some missions would result in a mission of a certain type been played in a different order with maybe a few different ships.
eg pw pirates win, BW British Win

.........................................mission 1

..................... PW mission 2 .................BW Mission4

..............PW mission 3B...BW mission4..... PW mission 5...BW mission 6

etc then come up with a brief idea for your mission in each stage, what outcome you expect, then once you have done this to its obvious conclusion then you flesh it out. the tree may even narrow down and nothing stops you from doing the same mission in a different spot depending on what outcome you like. you may have different setups on each mission depending on when it gets used.

i hope this made sense and helped
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJ
msg tools
badge
Caught you 'mirin'.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think if you were to set off on this venture, you need to have some kind of backstory first. It is easy enough to write a story and then attach mission objectives (as you have listed) to each segment or "chapter" of your story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Weston
United States
SAN LUIS OBISPO
California
flag msg tools
@Ji Atkinson, I pretty much made the whole mission chain using the tree method. It get's outta hand otherwise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Apollo Weston
United States
SAN LUIS OBISPO
California
flag msg tools
@J Stet, I am pretty much going to hand over the next mission chain to you guys if you keep this up!

Great work Jstet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.