1 , 2  Next »   | 

Concordia» Forums » Rules

Subject: Are the cards in hand public knowledge? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mads Thilsing
Denmark
flag msg tools
Can I ask which cards are in your hand/in your discard pile (and expect an honest answer)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont think I'd tell you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Discard, yes, I'd think so. Hand, no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We play yes, as the information is available if you pay attention.

The game should reward good strategies, not memorising cards people purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carthoris wrote:

That seems an odd compromise for how to handle Hidden but Trackable Information, potentially displeasing to both the "memory is part of the game" camp and the "memory is not part of the game" camp!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ola Mikael Hansson
Sweden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfectly trackable? Then it's treated as public in this household at least. (Even in games where the rules for some weird reason specify that they should be hidden - why add an unnecessary memory element? Maybe some people enjoy trying to keep a handful of numbers in their head, but to me, that detracts focus from the actual decision making.)

I play games to make strategic choices, not to do memory exercises.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Bampi
Italy
Padova
flag msg tools
badge
"Go suck yer blade!"
mbmbmbmbmb
thilsing wrote:
Can I ask which cards are in your hand/in your discard pile (and expect an honest answer)?

I can't find any direct reference to this in the rulebook, apart from "All played cards form a personal discard pile showing only the last card played" which seems to imply it's a hidden info.
Concerning the "trackability", yes of course it's all perfectly trackable - it's just a matter of taste if you choose to make all public or not.
My group prefers to keep all secret, because no one of us is particularly smarter than the others and we usually remember some info and lose some other - making the game more unpredictable and fun (for us).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boite a Jeux lets you look at the discard piles but not opposing hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously, top of the discard pile must be open: it's in the rules and necessary for Diplomat to make sense.

Hand closed and top of discard open seem standard for many games.

Whether the remainder of the discard pile is open is often less clear.

Keeping the hand closed seems pretty common; of course, in many games it is not trackable, so keeping it closed conceals the results of a shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Thilsing
Denmark
flag msg tools
senorcoo wrote:

Actually, you ARE able to see both the discard pile AND opposing hands (well I can, when I'm playing anyway).
It is my plays at boiteajeux.net that made me ask the question.
Of course, boiteajeux.net does not follow the rule, that scoring happens at the end, so I dont know if this is a reliable source when it comes to rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Thilsing
Denmark
flag msg tools
It seems like its a case of 'whatever your group agrees upon'.

I think I like it best with open info. This may be because memory is one of my least developed board gaming traits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Rafferty
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be unimpressed if someone asked to look at my hand. I think you should just get on with it, I definitely don't want players asking every turn to check every hand
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke O'Rafferty
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that, if you asked me specifically about a card ("have you played your merchant yet") I'd probably give you a true answer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gillum the Stoor
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lukeorafferty wrote:
I'd be unimpressed if someone asked to look at my hand. I think you should just get on with it, I definitely don't want players asking every turn to check every hand

It might more be a question of whether to play with open hands.
lukeorafferty wrote:
Given that, if you asked me specifically about a card ("have you played your merchant yet") I'd probably give you a true answer

The more interesting kind of question might be, "who bought that Senator two turns ago?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In principle, your available actions could have been smaller chips which you leave face up in front of you, and as you use them, you push them to one side.

So the fact that they are hands of cards and a stack of discarded cards suggests (but does not prove) that they may be intended to be "secret".

I wonder if that was a motive for using cards. Or if it was just so that the description text and bigger art could be printed on them, and the "secrecy" is merely a side effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
United States
Azusa
California
flag msg tools
One of Alabama 3's finest songs, especially the versions on the single this image is from...
badge
Sweet Pretty M*th*rf*ck*ng Country Acid House Music - All night long!
You can't generalize from how an online site handles HTI to best practices in person or in general.

Online sites tend to reveal HTI because if they don't, some people will track it manually, distorting the game play and results; so just put everyone on the same footing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Corrigan
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
[[img]https://boardgamegeek.com/jswidget.php?username=Krsnaji&numitems=5&header=1&text=title&images=medium&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=left&inline=1&addstyles=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1[/img]
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally can't remember squat - but that does not mean that I think games should not reward all you young whippersnappers who have not cluttered your memory for but a measly five adult years. This as opposed to us old farts have some 30(odd)years of memory of life - friends, family, finances, ideas, rules, etc, etc. All cluttering our wee heads. As any mature fellow well knows.
- Whats fair got to do with it?
Since the rules do not seem to address the issue directly but to imply that others players top discard is publicly known for playing off of. I've always played as your hand is private as a default but, that is simply arbitrary. I would say you should agree what is public before the game as a group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolai
Germany
Münster
flag msg tools
Hidden trackable information in games sucks!
badge
I play games for fun and pursuing the goal to win the game is fun! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
gillum wrote:
The more interesting kind of question might be, "who bought that Senator two turns ago?"

That's a very easy question, the answer is always "nobody"...
(There are no Senators to buy, you only ever have your one initial Senator.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Carthoris wrote:

That seems an odd compromise for how to handle Hidden but Trackable Information, potentially displeasing to both the "memory is part of the game" camp and the "memory is not part of the game" camp!

It's habit as much as anything. I'm used to playing games with open discards, whether joint or individual, and it just seems intrusive to ask about the contents of someone else's hand.

I am in the "memory is part of all games" camp.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilda Lirsch
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:

Boîte a Jeux also keeps a running tally of victory points.

But in face-to-face play trackable discard piles and/or trackable victory points would waste waaaaay too much time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
lukeorafferty wrote:
If that's your only issue, you could always just lay out your cards so they don't need to ask
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jenny Cranston
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
We've always played it as a discretionary thing. Generally with us, if you ask someone if they'd played a certain card yet, they'd give an honest answer if they were going to give any answer. They'd be under no obligation to answer you at all, but with the spirit of the game it would be odd to outright lie. It's all in how your group plays

Looking through someone else's hand and discard pile however would be seen as excessive and just bad sportsmanship, despite everything being traceable information. It would slow down the game to a crawl and probably lessen the fun for everyone else involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CARL SKUTSCH
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Agricola, Sekigahara, Concordia, Innovation, COOKIE!!! (and Guinness)
badge
Alpha pedant
mbmbmbmbmb
The "if it can be tracked it should be open" crowd are party poopers. My wife and I go by the spirit of the rules wherein only the top discard is open. Of course, while we are medium competitive we are not trying to wring every last point out of every situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Tress
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skutsch wrote:
The "if it can be tracked it should be open" crowd are party poopers. My wife and I go by the spirit of the rules wherein only the top discard is open. Of course, while we are medium competitive we are not trying to wring every last point out of every situation.

Agreed. Playing competitively is one thing. Trying to number crunch every decision is another. Closed hands don't so much make it a memory game, but encourage players to make their decisions based on a mixture of avaialable information and intuition. Perfect information, such as you have in many abstracts, slows games down a ton. This might be fine in a two player game of go, but not so much in a 4 player Euro game. Unless your group is into that, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
mbmbmbmbmb
colintress wrote:
skutsch wrote:

Agreed. Playing competitively is one thing. Trying to number crunch every decision is another. Closed hands don't so much make it a memory game, but encourage players to make their decisions based on a mixture of avaialable information and intuition. Perfect information, such as you have in many abstracts, slows games down a ton. This might be fine in a two player game of go, but not so much in a 4 player Euro game. Unless your group is into that, of course.

Making a decision based on perfect information is often faster than making it with imperfect information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.