Nick Bos
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

I kickstarted this game, and recently received it. However...I might have gone a bit overboard, as I also ordered the original+Beyond the Grave and Pets (my first Kickstarter, good way to learn!)

So now I have a house full of Arcadia quest, which is not necessarily a problem (yay painting!), but I was wondering, what are your initial impressions of Inferno vs Vanilla+Beyond the Grave?

I'm considering selling either Vanilla or Inferno, but I'd like to make an educated decision on this. Maybe I won't sell any of them, but I thought it might be good to already hear some opinions, open those boxes first and play them, and then see if we want to keep the rest. So I guess...which one would you open first?

Hope this makes sense!

Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
I haven't gotten my inferno yet (and thanks for rubbing that in!)

But I will always suggest:

Play them in the order they got printed

Original => Beyond the Grave => Inferno => Pets

The reason being is that most likely, there are things that were improved in the newer editions that sometimes might let previous ones look a bit "meh" in retrospect.

So you are getting the better gaming experience usually if you follow that track.

Also, the less mechanics you need to learn, the easier it will be. Arcadia is a very simple game as far as rules go, but there are always little things that players miss out on first times (even after several campaigns) so you are better off adding each mechanics one at a time.

Beyond the Grave added Tombstone, Banishment and Minion control
Inferno added Damnation
Pets added... Pets

You get the idea
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
mbmb
My impression is:
Way more balanced.

Still not perfect but way better...
But i guess the company i played with could also have impacted my opinion.

Btw the rule most players miss in the beginning is:
You are to use payback (<= edit) reaction as a PvP tool not to blindly react every attack.

If you don't do that you are not playing Arcadia Quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
VonDodo wrote:
My impression is:
Way more balanced.

You are to use guard reaction as a PvP tool not to blindly react every attack.

Hm, is there any downside to using every guard reaction to attack?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina
Canada
Fort Saskatchewan
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
webs1 wrote:
VonDodo wrote:
My impression is:
Way more balanced.

In Inferno I can't see a reason to not do every guard attack, I'm not even sure it's technically an option, and the monsters don't get to move on guard reactions so all you can do is attack anyway.
If you're talking about payback reactions then yea, you can do some fun things if you're paying attention
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
webs1 wrote:

Sure. Here are a couple of examples:

You weaken the other player but don't kill him, leaving him close to another player whose turn is before yours. You've given that player an opportunity to easily complete a PvP quest.

You leave the monster in a spot that it can easily be finished and it's not likely to hurt the attacker; you're better off moving the monster out of range to position it for some other purpose (like being easy for you to kill on your turn). Especially if it's a monster that provides quest completion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
webs1 wrote:

Guard reactions are mandatory. Payback reactions are not.

And reasons not to attack:

1) Player has Spike \ Amulet of Retribution and they want you to attack them since they have insane amount of armor.

2) Players want to die so they can gain some sort of benefit from it - book of the dead, Raven's ability etc

3) Dead characters can respawn near existing characters. It's a very easy trick to send someone to a final boss with high mobility (like Wisp) then resurrect a heavy hitter ally near him.

4) You are better off moving the monster to do something else, like blocking a portal, closing a door etc

Even just putting it next to another hero that is weaker and will have a harder time leaving the monster's space is a good idea sometimes.

5) You want an easier time killing the monster yourself and move it close to you. This is even more important if you have something that requires you not to move (like HobSbawn)

EDIT: DUH! Forgot the obvious one:

If you want to kill a player yourself instead of a monster so that you'll get a quest and more gold while other players don't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
mbmb
webs1 wrote:
VonDodo wrote:
My impression is:
Way more balanced.

1) hinder enemy path moving a melee enemy even if you lose the attack
2) prevent a player to suicide to deny you a mission
3) prevent some players to combo with defense items for easy kills(amulet of retribution/spike)
4) clearing YOUR path
5) some equip/heroes have crit def skills (fully heal and such)
6) more...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think in term of game play, base AQ is the simplest one.

AQ >>> BTG (tougher monsters and graveyard cards) >>> AQ:I (damnation and brimstone cards).
Pets adds another layer of complexity to both AQ and AQ:I.

Looking from gameplay perspective, I like AQ:I better. But aesthetically, I prefer AQ/BTG's colour scheme and monster designs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was also a backer of AQ Inferno. My first impressions are...

That I still don't have my game.

CMoN runs some great campaigns, during the campaign. The second they tend Ann's they collect your money, CMoN turns into one if the worst companies I have ever seen. Terrible communication, some of the worst shipping service estimates ever. No updates on things. Always extreme delays from their poor planning and scheduling.

Seriously, they are not a small company or first timers. Most of this stuff is easily advisable if they took the time to care, but they are too busy setting up their next kickstarter with another poorly thought it schedule and unrealistic deliver estimate.

Good games, terrible service. That should be CMoN's slogan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first impressions are that the base game alone seems incomplete. There's so few monsters to choose from, and so it gets samey quickly. I understand that's not a problem if you dropped a shedload of money on the KS stuff but, base game alone, I'm not super-impressed. Admittedly I have Gloomhaven, and that puts all other games to shame when it comes to variety and value for money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
My first impressions are that the base game alone seems incomplete. There's so few monsters to choose from, and so it gets samey quickly.

Do you have the original AQ? The monsters are the same as well. Unless you meant the heroes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter O'Hanraha-Hanrahan
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do have the original. Is it the same amount of different types? Seems like there's less here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Beacon Blog: Click here then click on "Blogs" in the menu bar
badge
Follow me on Twitter: @BoardGameBeacon
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
I do have the original. Is it the same amount of different types? Seems like there's less here.

There are less monsters in Inferno, but I suppose it does have the Angels which are 5 unique models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaganishu Khan
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Same types/number of types as in base.

I am actually happy for that. Monster diversity, in effect, adds very little to the game and means more peripheral facts and stats to keep in mind, but not adding terribly much diversity.

I have played 5 rounds so far, and half of a campaign done, using the "whole lotta lava" expansion scenario in it, but only using pets in the most basic sence (no pet items, no wild pets, just everyone gets a pet that can level up twice, and thats it).

I find AQ:I infinitely superior to AQ base in terms of map/scenario design ("The Parade" is simply cool"), slightly superior in terms of hero design, and moderately superior in mechanics (because Brimstone cards are a great addition to make monsters at least a little more influential, and Damnation is a trade-off mechanic that AQ base sorely lacks), but inferior in one regard: The visual design of the floor tiles is too busy and the red is a bit annoying, it also clashes a little with the teleport markers, and Pets integrates better with AQ base than AQ:I.

Be that as it may, I cannot in good faith recommend AQ base over AQ:I base, but if you manage to the a KS version of either, take that over a base core game of the other.

In terms of expansion compatibility, currently Pets integrates with AQ, but BtG doesnt work with AQ:I, so if you see yourself playing all these campaigns, there might be an argument.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio M
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
My first impressions are that the base game alone seems incomplete. There's so few monsters to choose from, and so it gets samey quickly.

Do you have the original AQ? The monsters are the same as well. Unless you meant the heroes?

Original AQ has 9 or 10* types of monsters. AQ:I has 7.
So there are less monsters. I don't know whether it makes a difference, just wanted to clarify.

The Whole Latta Lava box adds 2 monsters, but technically they are not part of the base game. I believe the OP refers to the base game, so these 2 extra monsters should not be considered (it's more helpful for readers who didn't back the KS).

*10 if we consider the Orc Captain as being different from Orc Marauders. They do have different minis and different roles in some scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
supertopper wrote:
Original AQ has 9 or 10* types of monsters. AQ:I has 7.
So there are less monsters. I don't know whether it makes a difference, just wanted to clarify.

*10 if we consider the Orc Captain as being different from Orc Marauders. They do have different minis and different roles in some scenarios.

What that is concerned: I really wished CMON would release a little monster pack with just 2 extra Orc Marauders so I can paint my Orc Captains a bit more differently, distinguishable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M V
msg tools
mbmb
You know you can add any monster from KS or old games at will?
they are itnerchangeable as long they are the same type.

that means you have 5 extra minions in the KS alone.

-hellcats
-Hellen
-Kragor
-Viola
-Crash

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cotton Donkey
Canada
Milton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd probably play them in order.
But I'd want to play it all at once...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Check out the Board Game Beacon Blog: Click here then click on "Blogs" in the menu bar
badge
Follow me on Twitter: @BoardGameBeacon
mbmbmbmbmb
cottondonkey wrote:

Excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere Buiten
Flevoland
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan
mbmbmbmbmb
GrandMasterFox wrote:
Play them in the order they got printed

Original => Beyond the Grave => Inferno => Pets

Or even:
Original => Beyond the Grave => Fall Of Arcadia => Inferno => Pets
cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.