1 , 2  Next »   | 

Lords of Waterdeep» Forums » General

Subject: Next game for people who like Waterdeep? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
What games would you suggest for people who enjoy Waterdeep and Kingsburg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smales
United States
Rome
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Colonel Peter Gansevoort (1749 – 1812) Defender of Ft. Stanwix, Rome, N.Y., 1777
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Moyano Loyola
Sweden
Lund
Skåne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know that it is a different theme (sci-fi), but Alien Frontiers has the dice allocation of Kingsburg and card play with special powers similar to the intrigue cards in Waterdeep.

Now you might get the big box for AF, which includes most if not all the expansions. Probably Alien Frontiers is a bit meaner than Waterdeep.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want an increase in challenge and fun, definitely look into:

Forge War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giorgos Papagiavis
Greece
Patra
Achaia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Champions of Midgard would be a nice game for you i think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try the expansion: Lords of Waterdeep: Scoundrels of Skullport It adds a lot of strategy and choices to the game.

Other nice workerplacement games we really like, which are easy to grassep and are about the same weight are:
Fresco - making a nice painting in the 16th/17th century. The theme matches very nice with the actions and phases
Viticulture - making wine. Theme and game match very very well.

Not worker placements, but similar kind of enjoyment:
Istanbul Collecting gems at the market in Istanbul. Fun and fast game with a modulair board like Catan.
Ulm Unique action selection mechanism. Check it out (read a BBG review)
Council of 4 One of our favorites. Bribig the council and even the king for influence in different cities. The better you connect them, the higher the bonusses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christophe Jannin
France
SAUTRON
Loire Atlantique
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Viticulture Essential Edition
Forge War
Simurgh

Are all workers placement games with a twist as is Lords of Waterdeep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirk Meijlof
Netherlands
Amersfoort
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haplo92 wrote:
Viticulture Essential Edition
Forge War
Simurgh

Are all workers placement games with a twist as is Lords of Waterdeep

+1 for Simurgh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did you try the expansion to LoW? Highly recommended before moving on to a different game.
I highly recommend Orléans as a step up. A sideway step is Viticulture. Not a fan of Stone Age, not after LoW.

If you enjoy dice as resources and not as deciders of outcomes (luck as battle) then Champions of Midgard might be the wrong game. If you don't mind dice as a battle mechanic then go for it. The game is a bit shallow decision-wise either way compared to LoW.

Since you also have an experience with dice placement check Troyes, Lorenzo il Magnífico, and Voyages of Marco Polo. I like Discoveries also, gives me a similar feel to LoW (Quest completion) but with dice.

Edit: keep an eye on the reprint of Pillars of the Earth, seems like a fun worker placement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Voyages of Marco Polo

For a more thematic worker placement:
Dungeon Petz
Argent: The Consortium

Be advised that these two have significant complexity compared to LoW.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
Espinoza wrote:
Did you try the expansion to LoW? Highly recommended before moving on to a different game.
I highly recommend Orléans as a step up. A sideway step is Viticulture. Not a fan of Stone Age, not after LoW.

If you enjoy dice as resources and not as deciders of outcomes (luck as battle) then Champions of Midgard might be the wrong game. If you don't mind dice as a battle mechanic then go for it. The game is a bit shallow decision-wise either way compared to LoW.

Since you also have an experience with dice placement check Troyes, Lorenzo il Magnífico, and Voyages of Marco Polo. I like Discoveries also, gives me a similar feel to LoW (Quest completion) but with dice.

Edit: keep an eye on the reprint of Pillars of the Earth, seems like a fun worker placement.

Yes i have tried the expansion, and it is very good.
Marco Polo is good but... the travel system is ... strange.
Troyes is very good, but it will be too hard for them, most probably.
Orleans is way too random, for what it is supposed to be.
I have big box of Fresco, which after 1 game I found incredible, and after 6 more i find slow, highly AP and a bit boring.
I have Stone age with expansion, this will be next step, and will show them other at the same level, probably my next buy will be Mission red planet, I also like the idea of Survive: Escape the Atlantis, and also I am waiting for Concordia's reprint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The three you have listed all look good and offer a good variety of gameplay. I'd also recommend Raiders of the North Sea. Another worker placement that isn't too difficult, and we really enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drake Coker
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
This is my tank for Combat Commander
mbmbmbmbmb
Anachrony has the "you build more action spaces" trait that Lords has (though only the builder gets to use them). Plus it has a cool future theme around time-travel which could appeal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Hale
United States
Harvest
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yedo is the closest thing to an "advanced" Lords of Waterdeep that I have found. Plus Japanese themes seem to be the fashion right now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Asking for Trobils

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
+1 Forge war

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pete truss
England
Bridgwater
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Lancaster
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Boberson
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Viticulture. I can't get enough of that game. And... you can play it solo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
What games would you suggest for people who enjoy Waterdeep and Kingsburg.

Raiders of the North Sea
Viticulture
Mint Works

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add another checkmark for Forge War. It is certainly a more involved Waterdeep.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David K.
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
The Manhattan Project

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 For Champions of Midguard

I'm looking into Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island right now. It's a worker placement co-op that LOOKS complicated on the surface but if you watch the how's it played vid and the "Castaways" beginners guide comic in the files section it really turns out to be pretty easy. Plays solo too for those times you can't get your group together but you really want to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baier
United States
Grand Forks
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, you want to take turns placing your stuff, fight over actions and resources, score points, end the round and do it again?
Here are suggestions from my play experience

Relatively easy to teach and play:
The Castles of Burgundy
Five Tribes
Spyrium
Stone Age
Village

More challenging and involved:
Power Grid
Terra Mystica
ZhanGuo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Espinoza
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
realfen wrote:
Fair enough..I can see that.
Quote:

Here I disagree. Still my top suggestion: worker placement + "bag" building. Solid game. The new expansion makes luck mitigation even more interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeni Dimitrov
msg tools
mb
Espinoza wrote:
realfen wrote:
Fair enough..I can see that.
Quote:

Here I disagree. Still my top suggestion: worker placement + "bag" building. Solid game. The new expansion makes luck mitigation even more interesting.

I do not know but in the base game the luck is way too much.When you have to see who of your workers died, and you pull a starting one, so nobody dies, and the person next to you pulls the Monk that he just made ... where is the strategy in that?Also it happened to me to grab 6 from the bag and can not combine them, into anything, and just place them somewhere, and hope for something better the next turn.I do not like games where you plan your whole game, but at least to be able to plan something, not to see "hmm what can I do not with this" ... the whole game is fightint to mittiage the luck.Way too slow game, for so much luck involved.IF it was faster, it would be very good, but slow game with lots of luck and thinking ???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.