Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Sessions

Subject: 1st play of Dead of Winter -- boring to death rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christian Tobias Féaux de Lacroix
France
flag msg tools
Hi everyone,

last night we played a 5 player-fully-cooperative session of death of winter, our objectiv was to survive 8 turns -- and we did. I think (nearly) everybody has won by fullfilling his hidden objectiv. So far no problem -- but the game was boring, nothing exiting ever hapenend, no cruel decisions had to be taken. Never I had any empathy with my figurines, they were mere pieces of cardboard, nothing more.

I'm wondering if we have missed something, have misunderstood some of the rules ??
And here is how we played : 5 players means 10 figurines out there to get stuff -- in the first turn. Later on we've got much more - too much.
So they went out to search and stayed mostly all the time at the same place. No need to move around if there is already someone at all the locations. And in the last two turns all the locations were empty, nothing else to do apart from setting barricades.

And the crossroad-cards ?? Only 2 or 3 out of 40 applied -- and usually there was only one alternative outstanding ... .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you play fully cooperative you don't hand out secret objectives and you use the hardcore variant of the scenario (which, judging from the objective to survice 8 turns, you didn't do).

Regarding the Crossroads cards, I think that was just bad luck. Yes, there are games where more and games where fewer trigger, but only 2-3 out of 40 is really low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I imagine the game would be quite dull if you play that way. The threat of a potantial traitor makes a great deal of difference to the tension, otherwise it's just rinse wnd repeat with a high player count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Robinson
England
Rotherham
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I fight lost wars, see light, fear sight
badge
I open my mind, need flesh, fear mine
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuchur wrote:
Hi everyone,

last night we played a 5 player-fully-cooperative session of death of winter, our objectiv was to survive 8 turns -- and we did. I think (nearly) everybody has won by fullfilling his hidden objectiv. So far no problem -- but the game was boring, nothing exiting ever hapenend, no cruel decisions had to be taken. Never I had any empathy with my figurines, they were mere pieces of cardboard, nothing more.

I'm wondering if we have missed something, have misunderstood some of the rules ??
And here is how we played : 5 players means 10 figurines out there to get stuff -- in the first turn. Later on we've got much more - too much.
So they went out to search and stayed mostly all the time at the same place. No need to move around if there is already someone at all the locations. And in the last two turns all the locations were empty, nothing else to do apart from setting barricades.

And the crossroad-cards ?? Only 2 or 3 out of 40 applied -- and usually there was only one alternative outstanding ... .

Add 1 zombie to each non-colony location for every 1 survivor present at that location. Did you do this each round?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivor Bolakov
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
last night we played a 5 player-fully-cooperative session of death of winter,

That's missing out the central mechanic of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cloyd Rauch
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuchur wrote:

5 players means 10 figurines out there to get stuff -- in the first turn. Later on we've got much more - too much.

Sounds like you aren't adding zombies properly. after a couple turns you should always feel like you are being over run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
I'm pretty sure we've made some mistakes. Nobody of us has had read the rules and the one who explained the game to us wasn't playing with us (and couldn't stay with us all the time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. B. Downey
United States
Suitland
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuchur wrote:
I'm pretty sure we've made some mistakes. Nobody of us has had read the rules and the one who explained the game to us wasn't playing with us (and couldn't stay with us all the time).

If that's the case, it's a little perplexing that you asked this:

Fuchur wrote:

Perhaps read the rules before you play next time?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuchur wrote:

Ow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Archer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuchur wrote:

I think you just answered your own question
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Derksen
msg tools
I've owned the game for close to a year and a half and last week I realized that I hate it. The traitor mechanic is so poorly done the only source of tension in this game is artificial because EVERYONE is basically a traitor since you all have secret objectives the only difference is one persons card is significantly more difficult and the card says "traitor"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swan Bones
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ZackPlaysGames wrote:
I've owned the game for close to a year and a half and last week I realized that I hate it. The traitor mechanic is so poorly done the only source of tension in this game is artificial because EVERYONE is basically a traitor since you all have secret objectives the only difference is one persons card is significantly more difficult and the card says "traitor"

But those who are not the traiter are trying to maintain the colony, whereas the traitor needs to destory it...?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
jwerk wrote:
Fuchur wrote:

Well, usually the one who explains the game should explain everything. Perhaps he just wanted to have us a "light" version -- less persons to feed, less zombies to fight against. Or we all forgot this "fill up with zombies".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sterling Archer
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuchur wrote:
jwerk wrote:
Fuchur wrote:

Well, usually the one who explains the game should explain everything. Perhaps he just wanted to have us a "light" version -- less persons to feed, less zombies to fight against. Or we all forgot this "fill up with zombies".

But this person wasn't even there to answer questions, right? Just seems unfortunate that the group would come to a conclusion about a game (boring) that you knew was played incorrectly.

Many of us think it's a great game. I would challenge you to read the rules and try again. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
downeymb wrote:
Fuchur wrote:

Fuchur wrote:

I mean, WTF? It truly amzaes me that people can earnestly ask questions like this.

Here's a plan to follow before posting/complaining/asking about a rule on BGG:
1. Read the rulebook in its entirety.
2. Explain every rule to every player.
3. Play the game, constantly referring back to the rulebook.
4. Read the rulebook again to see where you messed up (you will, I will, we all will mess up something).
5. If you are still confused by something, then post a question here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
jwerk wrote:
Fuchur wrote:
jwerk wrote:
Fuchur wrote:

But this person wasn't even there to answer questions, right? Just seems unfortunate that the group would come to a conclusion about a game (boring) that you knew was played incorrectly.

Well, he was around -- we could ask questions whenever they would arise. But he wasn't watching us -- so -- maybe -- we have made mistakes.
During the play nobody of us noticed any mistakes

As far as I have understood your answers the only thing that went probably wrong is some zombies missing -- right ?

So, all the other things are quite normal : Never moving, crossroad cards rarely applying and when, most times, with only one possible choice.
Other choices to take : Pick a card/fight a zombie if you have a die high enough, otherwise bringing out rubbish or making barricades.

That's all ? Or am I missing something ?

So far a fully cooperative version doesn't seem worth a second try.
Quote:

Many of us think it's a great game. I would challenge you to read the rules and try again. thumbsup

You like the game because of the thrill that there might be a traitor ? Giving an atmosphere of suspicion ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Well, when you are trying a new game, all the players around the table have to read the rules before ? Rearly ? Seems a little restrictive to me...
And --even if there are some mistakes in gameplay during a new game -- that usually doesn't change the overall impression of the game.

Yet MY first impression of the game was -- it's boring -- in sharp constrast to the hype about it on boardgamegeek. That was my question about -- where did all the mind-tangling difficult heartbreaking decisions go -- we never ever meet even one in over three hours of play.

braceletwinner wrote:
downeymb wrote:
Fuchur wrote:

Fuchur wrote:

I mean, WTF? It truly amzaes me that people can earnestly ask questions like this.

Here's a plan to follow before posting/complaining/asking about a rule on BGG:
1. Read the rulebook in its entirety.
2. Explain every rule to every player.
3. Play the game, constantly referring back to the rulebook.
4. Read the rulebook again to see where you messed up (you will, I will, we all will mess up something).
5. If you are still confused by something, then post a question here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
gonecase gonecase
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Without the traitor element the game will definitely be fairly bland. The suspicion and threat of being betrayed gives the game an air of paranoia.

I'd suggest watching Rodney's video to learn the rules and see where you might have gone wrong:

The playthrough on Tabletop captures part of the atmosphere, but they might have some rules mistakes:

I'd suggest giving it another go with a possible betrayer in play and see how it goes. If it still doesn't work go ahead and get rid of it. There are plenty of other games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wade
United States
Decatur
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuchur wrote:
Well, when you are trying a new game, all the players around the table have to read the rules before ? Rearly ? Seems a little restrictive to me...
And --even if there are some mistakes in gameplay during a new game -- that usually doesn't change the overall impression of the game.

I didn't say every player had to read them, but they should understand them - why not just read the rules out loud (paraphrasing the long bits) before playing? How can you play a game when the players don't know the rules? How many rules can you not tell them and still play the game as it was meant to be played?

It's fine to play a game however you want to, but to then come on here and say it was boring, but hey, maybe we didn't read everything and really have no idea how it's supposed to go is just crazy. And one play is almost never enough to get a full impression of the game, especially if everyone is new to the game.

It sounds like you made more than "a few mistakes". If you follow the read/explain/play/reread paradigm, you will find out for yourself better than we can tell you how/if you messed up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Percival
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
A strange game. The only winning move is not to play. How about a nice game of chess?
mbmbmbmbmb
Fuchur wrote:

Yet MY first impression of the game was...

From your original post, subsequent comments, and own admission, I don't think you played DoW proper. It seems like you played some other game using the component of DoW.

Essentially, you're giving an impression of that experience. Why not learn DoW, try it again, and see if you like it? I'm sure people here would be more receptive to an honest review of DoW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's entirely reasonable to not like the game, but if you haven't actually played the game by the rules, then you are not in a position to criticize it fairly.

Were the crises being used each round, where a certain number of a particular type of card have to be donated by the players otherwise there is a penalty at the end of the round (usually loss of morale)? These force the players to search for particular items outside of the colony.

Was food being checked at the end of each round. One food in the supply for every two people in the colony, otherwise you take a morale hit.

Were zombies being added correctly at the end of each round? One zombie is added per two people at the colony, added in a rotation from location 1-6, and then one zombie per person at the exterior locations.

Were barricades being used correctly? If a location has two barricades but three spaces for zombies and a zombie is added, it goes to the open location. If two zombies are added, one goes to the open location and the other is stopped by a barricade (remove one barricade). If three are added, then one goes to the open space, one removes a barricade and the third goes to the newly opened space.

Were you using the exposure die correctly? Roll whenever you move anywhere (without using fuel), roll when fighting a zombie, roll for certain crossroads cards. Tooth instantly kills the moving person and spreads the bite to their destination.

From the description, I'm pretty confident some of these were not being performed correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.