Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm up to April and have a few things I'm not sure about:

1. Can you build both a research centre and military base on the same city or is it only one structure per city?

2. Do military bases still get destroyed when a city is rioting? I seemed to remember reading something that said military bases don't get destroyed but I don't know if I've just made this up?

3. When adding mutations, can you add two onto a virus in the same round, so basically you spend both upgrades on it so you go straight to the stage 2 sticker?

4. If a cure is found by someone and the medic is in a city with those cubes on, do you instantly remove these cubes, even if it is not the medic's turn (as he automatically removes all cubes for a city he's in)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwalms wrote:
I'm up to April and have a few things I'm not sure about:

1. Can you build both a research centre and military base on the same city or is it only one structure per city?

A city can have multiple structures. I'm not sure if there's technically a rule saying you can't have multiple of the same structure (EDIT: there is), but that's getting into silly edge-cases as to why you'd ever want to! However, you can definitely have both a Research Stations and a Military Base in the same city.

Quote:
2. Do military bases still get destroyed when a city is rioting? I seemed to remember reading something that said military bases don't get destroyed but I don't know if I've just made this up?

No, military bases aren't affected by panic levels. The rules for panic levels explicitly call out Research Stations, not structures.

Quote:
3. When adding mutations, can you add two onto a virus in the same round, so basically you spend both upgrades on it so you go straight to the stage 2 sticker?

Yep, if you eradicate a disease, you could positively mutate it twice as your two end game bonuses. Note that the different mutations stack, rather than replacing each other - so you'd go from an un-mutated disease to a disease with both a Level 1 and a Level 2 mutation.

Quote:
4. If a cure is found by someone and the medic is in a city with those cubes on, do you instantly remove these cubes, even if it is not the medic's turn (as he automatically removes all cubes for a city he's in)?

Yes. The medic will automatically remove (and prevent the placing of) any cubes of a cured disease from his city, regardless of whose turn it is or phase of the turn. This means that, for example, the Dispatcher can use his actions to move the Medic through a series of cities each with cubes of a cured disease on and those cubes will all be removed instantly as the Medic goes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great stuff, thanks for your prompt response.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
A city can have multiple structures. I'm not sure if there's technically a rule saying you can't have multiple of the same structure, but that's getting into silly edge-cases as to why you'd ever want to! However, you can definitely have both a Research Stations and a Military Base in the same city.

The exact rule (p15) is "each city may contain one of each type of structure".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a couple more edge cases with the Medic:

A) If a disease has been cured, you don't even add cubes of that colour to the city the Medic is in - which can save you from losing to cube shortage.

B) If curing a disease ends the game, then, even though the game is over, you still remove cubes of that disease from the Medic's location - which can mean you eradicate and can upgrade that disease (and name it if it's the first time it's been eradicated).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple more spoilerific questions:

1. What happens when a normal (blue) disease outbreaks onto a coda city which already has 3 faded on? Is the normal blue cube added alongside the faded or do the cubes convert to faded so the faded city then outbreaks too?

2. When drawing an eradicated disease card, lets say blue, if the city is now coda do you still place the faded on it or do you not have to because blue is eradicated? Note in this example that Coda is black, so the blue is only a faded city because it spread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwalms wrote:
A couple more spoilerific questions:

1. What happens when a normal (blue) disease outbreaks onto a coda city which already has 3 faded on? Is the normal blue cube added alongside the faded or do the cubes convert to faded so the faded city then outbreaks too?

You add a blue cube to the Faded city and no outbreak occurs. Being Faded means the city produces Faded instead of its default colour, and the C0Da rules mutation means black cubes are replaced immediately by Faded figures. Neither of these would cause a cube outbreak adjacent to a Faded city to do anything other than place a cube of the outbreaking colour in the Faded city.

Quote:
2. When drawing an eradicated disease card, lets say blue, if the city is now coda do you still place the faded on it or do you not have to because blue is eradicated? Note in this example that Coda is black, so the blue is only a faded city because it spread.

You still place a Faded figure. Eradicating Blue means you can't place blue cubes, but you're not trying to place a blue cube; you're trying to place a Faded figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you draw a pandemic card and the city you need to place 3 cubes on has a quarantine marker on, does this prevent the placement of all 3 cubes or do you remove the quarantine marker and place 2 cubes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwalms wrote:
If you draw a pandemic card and the city you need to place 3 cubes on has a quarantine marker on, does this prevent the placement of all 3 cubes or do you remove the quarantine marker and place 2 cubes?

Quarantine blocks all cubes infection markers from a single source, so all three are prevented. It's great for stopping the Epidemic Infect step - but since there's no way (at least as of April) to look at or stack the bottom of the deck, you can't know where to quarantine and have to just get lucky...

By the way, the following link will probably prove useful for you if you haven't seen it yet...https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1470601/compiled-faq-sp...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beecher Greenman
msg tools
mb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Quarantine blocks all cubes from a single source, so all three are prevented. It's great for stopping the Epidemic Infect step - but since there's no way (at least as of April) to look at or stack the bottom of the deck, you can't know where to quarantine and have to just get lucky...

If you're willing to plan ahead for a city that absolutely positively must not outbreak, you can stick a quarantine marker there just in case. My team did this when red went CoDA and we had a starting research station in Hong Kong. It does mean you're down a quarantine marker, and the supply of markers is limited, and you won't be able to get that marker back if that city never comes up. But honestly, you can afford to do this with one or two markers. Just don't go wild with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
TheSpooniest wrote:
It does mean you're down a quarantine marker, and the supply of markers is limited, and you won't be able to get that marker back if that city never comes up.

The rules explicitly say "If you are out of quarantine markers and do the Quarantine action, remove a quarantine marker already in play and add it to your city." so you can't get stuck with a quarantine marker somewhere unuseful, unable to move it to where it's really needed.

The only penalty is the action you wasted putting it there. (And, as we know, actions aren't a scarce resource... (-8 )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Quarantine blocks all cubes from a single source, so all three are prevented.

Note, however, that each outbreak in a chain reaction is a separate source. If you have three cubes in each of Montreal, New York and Washington, with a quarantine marker in Washington, an outbreak in New York will strip away Washington's quarantine, then the outbreak in Montreal will cause an outbreak in Washington.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.